What was your first handheld / PDA type device

Last Updated:

1. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

My first device with a touch screen was the palm zire 31. I bought it after my mom bought the palm zire 21. I loved that device so much! After that I bought a palm tx and that was even better

2. cammykool

cammykool Well-Known Member

my first touchscreen phone was an LG chocolate touch
  3. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

I had the chocolate flip thru Alltel. Best phone I ever had!
  4. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon Disabled

Mine was the original Palm Pilot. I got it at a discount because tha law firm I was working for represented them. I still have it somewhere.
  5. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

My zire fell victim to a magnetic surface plate at work (I'm a machinist) i set it on the surface plate and it had a crt off effect and it never turned on again :(
  6. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Guides Guide

The HP Jornada 548 Pocket PC.

The closes thing to a Star Trek Communicator ever produced. Except of course you couldn't make calls on it. ;)
  7. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Well-Known Member

:/ Mine was a Blackberry Curve 8330 or 8830... doesn't really matter. But damn, that was a fine device.

And I'm not sure a smartphone really counts in this category, but whatever, I'm counting it. :p
  8. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

I got the exact same thing. My wife gave it to me for our engagement. I gave her a diamond ring. I got her something that will last forever and she got me something that becomes obsolete in a few years. :) I still have it in our display case.
  9. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

A Tandy "Radio Shack" TRS-80 pocket computer.

It was magic for me back in the day....
    It looks like a calculator, but you could program it in BASIC. 1500 bytes of RAM.

I also had Psion Organizers, an Amstrad PenPad which was a cheapo Apple Newton lookalike and it was horrible, a Sinclair Z88.

This thing really was dreadful.....but it was cheap, that's what Amstrad did.
  10. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

Palm V: slim, metal body, and an interface that any iPhone owner would recognise ;)

The month's battery life is something I miss, but the volatile storage less so.
  11. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon Disabled

If you want to get really old school, then:

A stack of 4 math registers, for unlimited RPN calculation handling, and 49 program registers. It also looks like a calculator. :p
    Granite1 likes this.
  12. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

Handspring. Still have it, still works. Don't use it. Last device Clie UX50. Still works, will use it for Astromist at times.
  13. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Well-Known Member

Same here. I built them. Perhaps you visited us in SLC?

Then a Windows CE device and an HP Palmtop.
  14. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon Disabled

No, I rarely left my office on the 30th floor at 311 S. Wacker Dr. Never visited any client sites at that job.
  15. Morat

Morat Well-Known Member

Makes a palm pilot look like a glorified address book! :)
  16. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

yeah.. i had the same thing.
  17. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

Favorite or Infamous? i'll list both:

I had the usual string of Palm Pilots, and such, even a old black and white HP handheld PC, no backlight, couldn't download anything, and ran an ancient and no-longer supported version of CE 1.x. essentially useless. IE no longer worked, and i could barely get email and telnet to do anything...

But the most notable was finding a used (but still old) Apple Newton. i no longer recall which version but it was a huge thing, i think it ran on 4 AA batteries. using the backlight would eat them alive. had Pocket Quicken and some stuff. the most funny part was the horrid handwriting recognition. i think the Simpsons once made fun of it with the 'eat up Martha' line when they tried to type 'Beat Up Martin'. it also lacked app downloads and could do very little on a 56K modem in the day i had it, it was obsolete maybe 5 years before i found the thing. it then ended up in a drawer and i think was lost long ago.

Favorite was my then-new HP Jornada. it had the latest Windows Mobile, looked a bit like XP. i had all sorts of dongles, including the very clunky GPS antenna, voice module and software. as a GPS it reminded me of my old TI 99-4A Home Computer with all the accessories wired to it. worked well though when i flew with my dad on long trips, and it did hold my MP3 collection at the time. it was close to a smartphone then, but smartphones would not exist until a couple more years. if i recall the Motorola RAZR was the latest and greatest toy then
  18. huh

huh Well-Known Member

19. Stuntman

That's not old school. I actually learned how to use an abacus. It didn't even need batteries. Then I got a solar powered calculator.
  20. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

an abacus may be considered a calculator.. but no way is it a PDA.
  21. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

It was either a Blackberry Pearl, or a Samsung Omnia.
    I can't remember which one came first.
  22. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon Disabled

Oh yeah? Well I had clay tablets and used cuneiform script. Beat that! :p

I'm with dan330. I've owned an abacus or two, and slide rules too. They're too big to be palmtop devices. Plus, the games for them kinda suck. ;)
  23. IndecisiveElle

IndecisiveElle Well-Known Member

A Cybiko Extreme! haha. It was designed mostly for teenagers - had some amazingly cool features for the time, like messaging between devices, but I never knew anyone that had one so it was mostly useless and rarely used.
    Cybiko - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My first smart phone was a Palm Treo 650 then the awful early windows phone which I hated so much I went back to a regular phone until the OGD was released.
  24. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Well-Known Member

Sony Cli
  25. Stuntman

I carry around a paper note pad and a pen as a PAA.