• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What was your first handheld / PDA type device

Pocket Analog Assistant. Ha, love it. :D

I recall running into an old friend. She wanted my address and contact info. I waited for her to take our her laptop, start Outlook, enter the info (slowly), shut down her computer and put it away.

I wrote her info on a small notebook. Quick and easy.

This new electronical technology is not always the best tool to use.

Upvote 0
Palm V here. Even then, I kept sayin' what this thing needs to do is make calls.

I should be suing Apple for stealing my idea .. ;)

This is not a new idea. There was talk and a few engineering samples crossed my desk out there in Palmville. Lots of big talk, a few great ideas and plenty of vaporware, but the Palm V could have been a much different device.

I loved the Palm VII because it was wireless and very cool for the time. It is as close as I got to wireless connectivity before the Treo days.

Upvote 0
No, I rarely left my office on the 30th floor at 311 S. Wacker Dr. Never visited any client sites at that job.

Too bad, really.

You would have had a great time to be sure. Part of my job was to make visitors happy and show dignitaries a good time. I could also show you the horrors which was frowned upon, but I'll save that for the book.

Upvote 0
Too bad, really.

You would have had a great time to be sure. Part of my job was to make visitors happy and show dignitaries a good time. I could also show you the horrors which was frowned upon, but I'll save that for the book.
Yeah, well...being part of the administrative staff at a law firm makes a person the opposite of a dignitary. The lawyers were very nice to me (I suspect it's only because I knew how to look natural in a suit and tie) but otherwise the place was a mix of Dickensian and Orwellian characters who were all unbearably insecure! My happiest day there was the day I got fired. :rofl:

Upvote 0
I recall running into an old friend. She wanted my address and contact info. I waited for her to take our her laptop, start Outlook, enter the info (slowly), shut down her computer and put it away.

I wrote her info on a small notebook. Quick and easy.

This new electronical technology is not always the best tool to use.

I got an HP Journada in 2000. I carried it around for a couple of years. Then in 2003, I ditched it for a note pad and pen. For most situations, I just needed to write some notes down and it was just easier and more natural with pen and paper. It is also easier to just draw diagrams or write in Chinese (I don't know how to type Chinese). If I need to give someone some contact info or similar info, I just rip a page off and give it to them. I have been witnesses to a couple of car crashes and it is just easier to write down what I saw on my note pad than to do it on an electronic device. If I have to draw a diagram, it is just easy with pen and paper.

I have been using a notepad app on my phone recently. I sometimes use the app and sometimes use my note pad. If the notes that I take needs to be edited a lot like a list that keep adding and deleting items, then I use my phone app. If it is something that I just need to jog my memory or will not be changed very often, then I am more likely to use my notepad. Also, some notes I take do not need to be organised in a way or the info simply expires soon after. It is easier to just write a line on my note pad and then forget about it once the info expires. With my phone app, I need to do some work organising and garbage collecting.

I've been carrying my notepad and pen around for 10 years now and don't see myself stopping. Sometimes, you just don't need any fancy technology to have something that is simple and effective.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones