13 vote(s)
    17.1%
  6. I don't know and don't care

4 vote(s)
    5.3%

Last Updated:

1. jwhite4304

jwhite4304 Active Member This Topic's Starter

What phone/platform did you come to the Eris from? I used Blackberry for years and am extremely happy with the Eris.

Jimbo

Advertisement
  2. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

BB Curve for a year.

Before that a whole host of Nextels (none of them the BB versions).

3. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I still have the BB Curve that I have had for the last 2 years. I am impatiently awaiting my upgrade date next month so I can get the Eris..............or the Passion. Is it wrong that I play with my friends Eris whenever I get the chance?

4. mmanuel552

mmanuel552 Active Member

Coming from Blackberry 8330 , 9530 and 9550. Still not 100 % sure on the eris. since i got on the 19th of november is a fix comes out on the 11th i will be in the clear to go back to the 9550.

5. Grizzld

Grizzld Well-Known Member

I used a BlackBerry Pearl for 2+ years and, more recently, a Tour.

6. Slash X

Slash X Member

Came from iphone myself, although I may switch back after using the Eris for a week.

why is this you ask:

1. Can't save e-mail attachments to the phone (just facebook, flicker etc) --(Deal breaker for me with business needs)

2. "Lag" -- once multiple apps are running, takes time to load screens and change to other apps. (this could change possible if Eris gets 2.0 --maybe)

3. "Notifications" are sporadic. Don't know why but G-mail doesn't seem to push mail out and my regular e-mail service lags also in receiving mail (deal breaker to me for business reliability). I have constantly checked all settings to make sure I have things set up properly but e-mails are still iffy to receive.

4. G-mail integration is OK -- but the "Contacts" management is terrible. No way to list contacts by "Last name first" which is the preferred method for me. After re-listing all my business contacts under "Company" and deleting their personal names, I can just make the program usable.

5. No G-mail notification of "quantity" of e-mails received. Even though I get a chime and a LED notification, can't tell how many e-mails are waiting unless I open up G-mail and check. (not very productive) --- p.s. -- all the apps to resolve this were not well reviewed so far

This is the first phone I have "Ever" thought would move me away from the Apple synergy I have known. I like the "Eris" for many reasons (visible notifications, platform flexability, clean designed phone, etc). It seems to be a promising platform and I hope it will mature quickly. Many apps for Android are decent and Sense UI is the best I have seen in a device of this kind. Unless you all can think of work arounds for my issues, I may have to exercise my 30 day return for this phone until the platform moves forward. I have till December 15th to return. Maybe the pro-ported Dec 11th updates will help convince me otherwise.

7. Needsdecaf

Incorrect. You can save attachments to the card. When you click on the attachment, it will give you an option to open or save.

8. Slash X

Slash X Member

Doesn't give me that option in the G-mail account. Am I missing something ??

9. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

wow, a lot of (former) BB users here.

Had a few Tours, Curves, Pearls.

10. c64

c64 Well-Known Member

Samsung Omnia -> iphone -> Motorola Droid -> HTC Droid Eris. Satisfied now:D

11. Needsdecaf

Don't know about GMail, don't use that, sorry (you didn't specify).

12. CalculatedChaos

CalculatedChaos New Member

I had the Verizon Blitz messaging feature phone. This is my first smartphone and I am loving the OS so far.

13. MKAH

MKAH Member

Slash,

I setup the HTC mail application for multiple accounts, incuding my G-Mail account. This way I get numeric notifications and the attachment save feature. It is not perfect, but doable.

Good luck sir. :)

14. Slash X

Slash X Member

MKAH

Thanks for the reply === so can I just drag and remove my G-mail app icon from the home page and then do an "Add New Mail account" in the regular mail icon to merge -- or do I have to delete more than just the g-mail icon within the phone ?

15. jcharris08

jcharris08 Member

BB 8830, Storm, Tour, Flip Pearl, Imagio, and now Eris. Working for vzw has its perks. have 2 lines, have used all of those in the past 3 months.

16. jj3699

jj3699 Well-Known Member

LG Dare, and I'm still shaky if I'm going to leave the Dare all together..

Now we know where to go for reliable information about updates and products :)

17. pixelpedro

pixelpedro Member

BB Curve 8330 for about 2 years, love it, but really love my Eris, the only thing i miss from my BB, is the battery life, i could use my BB for almost 2 days without a charge, Eris 3/4 of a day.

An i also missed that if i dropped my BB didn't hurt, i fell that the day I drop my Eris (is so darn Cool) i might just have a heart attack. ;)

18. Seriously? You liked your Dare better than your Eris? Yikes! Heh. My last phone was also the LG Dare, and in my opinion the HTC Eris is 1000x better in every way possible (except battery life, but I'm not complaining -- my battery life is JUST fine with my Eris). I wouldn't even consider going back to my Dare at this point, nor could I. I posted my LG Dare up on Craigslist the second I ordered my Eris... and amazingly had it sold the day after receiving the new phone!

Just my .02... ;)

19. Ataranine

Ataranine Well-Known Member

I had a BlackBerry Storm before the Eris, and I loved it. I love the Eris now too, though, and I don't think I could ever go back to a BlackBerry.

20. jj3699

jj3699 Well-Known Member

oh I whole heartedly agree with you.. and the battery life and the extra $20 a month would be my only reason for going back to the Dare

But now that I'm start to learn how to use the phone to it full capabilities, i dont this its going anywhere :D

21. Whew, good ;) LoL!

22. jj3699

jj3699 Well-Known Member

Lol... I know this has probably been beaten to death and is so off-topic but you said that your Eris has decent battery life, how long does it last?

23. I can EASILY make it through a full day with moderate-to-heavy usage... With low-to-moderate usage I've twice now made it 48 hours off the charger with battery to spare. Not doing anything overly crazy to get that either, turning off wireless when I'm not near a network, keeping GPS off unless I need it, I never use BT cuz I don't have any BT devices to pair it with... I don't use many widgets anymore, and that probably helps, I just didn't find them to be quite as useful as I thought they might be. Gmail syncs, but I dont use the facebook sync stuff... just the app (with no notifications, FB isnt that important to me), etc, etc. My awake time is generally around 20-25%. No task killers or anything of the sort on my phone.

24. MKAH

MKAH Member

Yes, you can delete the G-mail icon and setup the HTC mail application with miltiple accounts.

Before you delete the GMail icon, setup the HTC mail to handel you regular and GMail accounts and play around with that for a while.

Mark

25. lavendarblue

lavendarblue Member

hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and to the world of smart phones.

I just came from the original EnV, which I'd still be using had it not had an unfortunate tumble. I miss my old phone, but it's time to grow up!