• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What will happen if I format my androids sd card?

Ariianna

Lurker
Jun 18, 2011
I plugged my android into my computer and then when i went to take it out I forgot to unmount it. Now my sd card is asking me to reformat it since it is damaged. If i do format it will I lose my contacts?

I also have apps on there that I would like to keep. Is there anything I can do to save them?
I copied all my pictures from the sd card to files on my computer so ill just readd them to my phone later, but there is an app with information I would like to keep and It is not listed on the sd card files when I open it on my computer.
Does that mean I cant save it?

I plugged my android into my computer and then when i went to take it out I forgot to unmount it. Now my sd card is asking me to reformat it since it is damaged.
You really need to "eject" the card from your PC to ensure that the PC is done writing to the card before you disconnect. Unmounting from the device won't prevent what you experienced as your device doesn't know what's going on with the SD card when it is mounted to a PC. If you tell your device to unmount without ejecting from the PC first the device will unmount regardless of what your PC is or isn't doing to the SD card and you risk running into this very problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones