• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What will happen when GSM Hero 2.1 releases with regards to rooted phones?

mgillespie

Mar 5, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Will people smarter than me be able to create an exact replica of the HTC rom that suitable for flashing onto phones that boot the recovery image, so it retains the recovery image? (and thus keeping open the possibility of moving a any future homebrew 2.2 images etc).

Will people smarter than me be able to extract the radio firmware for updating?

Whilst i'm reasonably happy with the current hacked firmwares, they are all quite buggy in places, and would love to pickup something that is IDENTICAL to stock, aside from giving me root and the ability to change again in the future...

Good question....i have to agree cause although ive not had any huge issues with sence 2.2 i would still rather have the official 2.1 update etc...but apart from that having the phone rooted after this, i dont see why i would wanna keep my phone rooted...?? is their a need as i also find alot of the custom roms to be buggy. hmmm thats a hard one for me

Upvote 0
Same here... with all this talk of android 2.2 there's no way I am un-rooting my phone. :D

Too many awesome devs doing too many awesome things every day.

Kind of like building your own racecar, if it aint the stock motor/tranny/etc it's going to have to be tuned up, but it is going to be faster, better, and more awesome than your friends..:D

Upvote 0
i dont see why i would wanna keep my phone rooted...?? is their a need as i also find alot of the custom roms to be buggy. hmmm thats a hard one for me

The reason all the 2.1 ROMs are buggy is because devs need stuff from the official release (the kernel: hardware drivers) to get things working properly. So not only will be see an improvement in custom ROMs with the actual 2.1 release, but devs can start to improve upon the official ROM.

Modaco 3.2, for instance, is based on the official 1.5 ROM but is much better than stock.

Like I said, there will be versions of the official ROM suitable for flashing out straight away. There really is no need to lose your ability to root.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones