what will i gain from Vanilla?

Last Updated:

1. narf

narf Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have been running Launcher Pro Plus on top of Fourth Wave and I am loving the interface. I was thinking of switching to a vanilla ROM but had a few questions

1 will vanilla + LP have better performance?
    2 besides the HTC widgets what else will I lose?
    3 will internal storage still work?

Advertisement
  2. DizkoDan

DizkoDan Well-Known Member

You gain nothing. You lose HTC Sense. It's that simple. If you like the SenseUI, then don't go vanilla. It used to be that you would see better performance from a vanilla ROM, but after you install LP and all the other crap to make it look like Sense again (which is what most people end up doing), it will be worse off.

Make a nandroid of your current setup, and go try CM6. If you like it, great! If not, restore your nandroid, and you have only lost an hour of your time.

3. Asterdroid

Asterdroid Well-Known Member

Actually, you do still gain performance. There will be a lot less apps running in your memory, allowing your phone to cache more data.

You don't HAVE to replace every HTC app even though DizkoDan mentioned most people do. If you do, obviously you will not get any better performance than you would with Sense. If you don't, then your performance will improve.

You also get a better bluetooth stack with CM6, which will allow you to use HID devices like the wiimote, if that's something you're interested in. The bluetooth audio streaming hasn't been fixed yet, but as I said you'll have more BT devices at your disposal. I personally don't stream audio over BT, so it's a no brainer for me.

There are other benefits, too. The UI is more customizable without having to flash themes, and there is a lot more control over phone performance (memory settings, etc).

Best thing to do is try out an AOSP vanilla ROM and see if you like it. If you miss all your HTC widgets/apps, then switch back to a Sense ROM.

4. DizkoDan

DizkoDan Well-Known Member

I think the performance argument is bunk. Not that I put a lot of stock in benchmarks, but if performance were that much better in vanilla vs sense, I'd expect a much bigger divide. If I can hit high 1600's in a sense ROM (with all my sense widgets running) then I'd expect vanilla ROM's to score much higher. They don't. It all depends on the crap you load into the ROM, and the UI while having an affect, does not make or break performance. Optimizing any ROM will make a huge impact on performance.

You are absolutely correct about being more customizable, and the BT improvements (at least in CM).

I'm not arguing against it. It just kind of annoys me that there is this general perception that vanilla = faster/better, when this is not entirely true. If you compare stock sense vs vanilla (as close to "stock" as it can get on the DInc), then yes this applies. But this is the real world, and most people going down this path are not interested in either.

5. Asterdroid

I agree. People's perception of stock vs. vanilla is inaccurate. It really comes down to what you said in your first post. If you flash a vanilla ROM, but replace every piece of HTC sense with something else, you'll probably get worse performance than if you just use a sense ROM, since all the sense elements are integrated. If you truly want to run "Vanilla", you'll see better performance by sacrificing functionality.

The only reason I see for going pure, stripped down vanilla is if you use your phone for gaming, which thankfully is starting to become a real possibility now that the Android market is growing out of its infancy.

6. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

Honestly if you like lots of cool widgets better off to keep Sense. I on the other hand really don't like many of the sense widgets other then the Music and Weather/Clock. But I personally like BEatutiful Widgets weather/clock better and while I haven't found a music widget I like better especially one that sees internal memory . I can live with that. I have a sense rom right now just cause I haven't found a Vanilla ROM that has everything I need working . CM6 was so close but the no BT Audio is a deal breaker for me. I'm on on SkyRaider3.0 now but for whatever reason HTC Music doesn't work anyways for me :(

The Vanilla ROMS such as CM6, JagerROM and SkyRaider have been the snappiest ROMS I've used . But all in all the Incredible is a fast device no matter what ROM and UI you use it's going to be fast

7. narf

Do any of the vanilla roms see the internal memory?

8. Dsoto87

Dsoto87 Well-Known Member

Jager and skyraider are not vanilla roms . They are "senseless" but they are not true vanilla.

True vanilla roms for the incredible include:
    Cyanogen. Mod
    IncredibleDoes
    Ultimate Droid
    Ruby

9. ChiTownJim

ahhh ok I get what the diffrence is now.

Do any of the Vanilla ROMS support BT Audio?

10. Dsoto87

Dsoto87 Well-Known Member

To be honest I wouldn't know since I don't use that feature. I've read that Cyanogen has some intermittent problems with it though.

Edit: oops just seen that you already tried cm. I wish I could help you

11. Asterdroid

Supposedly BT audio should be fixed in CM6 "soon"

12. ChiTownJim

Can't wait . Thanks

13. narf

So does the "senseless" Sky Raider still use the HTC apps for email/contacts/settings/etc? And does it see the internal storage?

14. banshee2008

banshee2008 Active Member

I was wondering this as well. In particular, I do not want to give up the "people" application (which I believe is part of Sense), since it allows me to do lookups in the corporate directory. When I loaded CM a while back, it seemed there was no way to do such lookups.

Also, if senseless does NOT include it, is it possible to do a Titanium backup of people.apk (presumably what it is called) and then install it on senseless?

15. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

People works in SR Vanilla 3.0. There is a link for HTC mail if you want to flash it. Internal storage is seen. Very nice rom imo, certainly worth doing a nandroid backup and flash. Only takes a few minutes to revert back if you hate it. Flash a King Kernal afterwards so you can OC, not sure if the rom has one that will do that. I use KK#2 BFS. Decent battery, stock red bumped yesterday, GPS, maps, phone, music, playing around, you know regular stuff. 10 hours up, 3 hours awake, 53% left.

16. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

I do think you gain some battery life with the sense stuff hacked out, but other than that its all preference, and honestly it could have just been whatever kernel or something else I was running. my suggestion would be to try a few and see what fits your needs.