• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What will it take for you to trade up from your N5?

thisISjoel

Android Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2014
Sydney
So, I'm thinking that I might get myself a new phone for Christmas but it will pretty much depend on what is announced/released between now and then.

I kind of like the look of the moto x2 or x +1 or whatever it is but I'm not sure if it's enough of an upgrade from the nexus 5.

Realistically I don't think any improvements in processor etc are going to be that noticeable so I think for me the main thing that will draw me away from my beloved nexus to something new will be a larger display.

To that end I don't know if 5.2" is enough of an increase. I think I'd need something 5.5" or larger, preferably larger.

But, my question to you And-bros, is; what do YOU need/want in a phone that could one day (sooner than later) replace your nexus 5?

Had my first two Android devices for around a year (the Desire HD and the Galaxy S3)

I'm keeping this one for 2 years at least, I like it that much (I'm still amazed everytime I look at how good the screen is on it)

I'm also a bit of a Nexus convert now so my next phone would be a nexus if they're still around after the 6 (I imagine they will be but you never know) othwerwise the closest equivalent to the nexus brand (as vanilla as possible)

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure I'm staying with the N5 another year (I had my Nexus One almost 3 years). A 5.5"+ screen would be very tempting, but I'll hope it sticks around for the next gen Nexus at the end of 2015.

My ideal phone would probably be a Note 4 since I love big, sd card option and removable battery, but I don't do contracts, value the Nexus Roming experience too much, and don't like Samsung all that much, Lol.

Upvote 0
While the Moto X (2014) is not a great hardware upgrade, it is the software that makes it special. Touchless control is a nice feature, where you can talk to your phone even when the screen is off -- especially since you can now change the "OK Google Now" phrase. The Active Notifications are a nice feature, as well as the screen turning on just by waving your hand over the face. Despite the added features, it is still largely a pure Android experience.

As for the battery life, it will be interesting to see the reviews. The original Moto X seems to be well optimized and the battery does much better than you would expect -- in my experience it does better than the Nexus 5. It will also be interesting to see battery life after Android L is released; from my experience running L it seems it will improve battery life.

Upvote 0
While the Moto X (2014) is not a great hardware upgrade, it is the software that makes it special. Touchless control is a nice feature, where you can talk to your phone even when the screen is off -- especially since you can now change the "OK Google Now" phrase. The Active Notifications are a nice feature, as well as the screen turning on just by waving your hand over the face. Despite the added features, it is still largely a pure Android experience.

As for the battery life, it will be interesting to see the reviews. The original Moto X seems to be well optimized and the battery does much better than you would expect -- in my experience it does better than the Nexus 5. It will also be interesting to see battery life after Android L is released; from my experience running L it seems it will improve battery life.

Yeah, the extra software stuff intrigues me too. I will root and flash custom roms anyway (love Dirty Unicorns!) but I prefer that stock experience with extra tweaks/functional features. I won't touch Samsung for example because I don't like TouchWiz at all.

Upvote 0
While the Moto X (2014) is not a great hardware upgrade, it is the software that makes it special. Touchless control is a nice feature, where you can talk to your phone even when the screen is off -- especially since you can now change the "OK Google Now" phrase. The Active Notifications are a nice feature, as well as the screen turning on just by waving your hand over the face...

...It will also be interesting to see battery life after Android L is released; from my experience running L it seems it will improve battery life.

Active Notifications are one of the reasons I was thinking about getting a moto X instead of a N5 back when I was making my choice. However, I think I will like the android L lock screen enough that I won't miss active notifications anymore.

Same deal with battery life. If android L does what people report in terms of battery life then I won't be so worried about getting through a full 16 hour day anymore

Upvote 0
Great topic and I like what I've read already.

I too am in the camp that was leaning towards the new Moto X V2. I immediately watched Droid Life's unboxing and review as I was hoping to see some of the motion and software tweaks. Bravo to Motorola for not screwing the experience of android up by making a totally new skin whilst also having useful tweaks. However that same bravo also comes with an f you for making a nexus owner have a hard decision on which to go with.

My plan: let Version L come out, see how the N5 handles it especially the notifications. Decide whether to stick with the N5 or upgrade to the N6.

As a very recent heavy user of Pushbullet, the idea of needing a screen tweak to sip battery and show you the notifications means the phone has to actually be visible. That was probably the only reason I wanted to go with the Moto X in the first place: active notification. Pushbullet is brilliant

Upvote 0
I'll give the Nexus 6 a look, but I have no intentions of going to 5.9". I can't really one-hand the 4.96" Nexus 5 completely, so an extra inch across the diagonal would be way too much. I don't have phone envy at all right now, so if the Nexus 6 doesn't do it for me I'll be quite content sticking with the Nexus 5. Hell, the only reason I upgraded from the Nexus 4 to the Nexus 5 was because I got tired of doing the LTE hack after each rom flash :p

Reactions: DonB
Upvote 0
Active Notifications are one of the reasons I was thinking about getting a moto X instead of a N5 back when I was making my choice. However, I think I will like the android L lock screen enough that I won't miss active notifications anymore.

Same deal with battery life. If android L does what people report in terms of battery life then I won't be so worried about getting through a full 16 hour day anymore

Except the nice advantage, still, of active notifications is not needing to actually grab the phone and hit the power (to wake the phone). With the new Moto X, you just wave your hand over the screen and it will show your notifications.

Upvote 0
My Nexus 5 continues to impress me with its speed, reliability, and fast immediate updates not just to the OS itself, but Google apps also.

The only feature I'd really enjoy, and greatly benefit from is a 6" display. The current rumors that keep flipping from claiming a 5.2" no... 5.9" no... 5.2 no..... 5.9, are keeping me on the edge of my seat. :)

I'll go to a 6.0" smartphone for sure this year, I just really hope it'll be a Nexus. Of all the current phones I own the native pure Android experience provided only by Nexus, is simply wonderful.

If they don't make a 6.0 +/- size I'll most certainly understand. Fewer people are likely to buy that size over a 5.0", a fact even I understand since the average buyer owns just one phone.

Only sick people like me own a vast selection of current models and several active lines to use them on... LOL!

Upvote 0
I must say I think 6" is pushing it a bit! Why not just get a tablet?

I find 5" is just right.

(We are talking about phones, aren't we? :D)

Here's my point of reference, a direct result of first hand ownership and use of almost every size display offered on smartphones and tablets.

My 7" Nexus tablet is wonderful but 7" is a bit too large for my primary smartphone.

My 5" Nexus smartphone is a spectacular phone if only it had a 6" display.

My 6.1" Ascend Mate 2 is almost ideal. It is a mid tier model that lacks the speed and flagship level performance my resource intense work requires. But I knew that beforehand. I specifically bought it to be sure 6" is the right size for me, and it is.

At the end of the day I completely understand and endorse 5" as an excellent size smartphone, just not for the workflow I have.

I should also mention I'm 6'3" with large hands, making a large phone easy for me to handle. I celebrate the choices available in Android phones. My platform of choice. :)

Upvote 0
I took a recent trip back to my hometown in Kansas and made fun of two of my friends with 6" android phones. I really feel shameful for doing such a thing. 6" is a great size, for any sized person/hand. I think Droidlife had a good article around the time the G3 came out stating that they were so against the continuous big phone explosion but were converted once they used a 6" for a week.

Me? I thought the N5 was HUGE when I first got it. Now it just feels like home.

Upvote 0
I've been sitting on an available upgrade from Sprint for 4 months now. I am interested in the new Moto X, but want to see how battery life is.

It'll be between that and the new nexus.
Lets be honest, good sir. The way you've positioned yourself as kernel battery conservationist extraordinaire, such decisions are not necessary. After seeing your posts in the franco thread, you've made a guy like me jealous of how little you have to charge your phone. I say this all tongue in cheek but you could be just fine with a phone containing a battery with the throughput of a hamster wheel! ;)

Upvote 0
Lets be honest, good sir. The way you've positioned yourself as kernel battery conservationist extraordinaire, such decisions are not necessary. After seeing your posts in the franco thread, you've made a guy like me jealous of how little you have to charge your phone. I say this all tongue in cheek but you could be just fine with a phone containing a battery with the throughput of a hamster wheel! ;)

:rofl:

Thank you good sir, but I assure you my ways have changed. Ever since I started playing ingress a month and a half ago I charge at least 3x a day now.:eek:

Its nice to know I can get crazy battery life if I need it, but I sit next to a charger at work and have a 10k mAH anker external charger with me at all times.

...which has lead me to the realization that I don't really need to care about the battery life after all. :D I certainly wouldnt want to take a step backwards though.

Upvote 0
My next phone would probably be what the end result of project aria. The nexus 5 is absolutely the largest phone I want and the trend is massive phablets. Project aria would solve that issue for me, let me pick the screen size and processor and move on from there. It would also remedy this 16gb nonsense that everyone but apple is stuck on. 16gb doesn't cut it anymore, this isn't 2008.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones