what wont work in US?Support

Last Updated:

1. kenbon

kenbon New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I have the Galaxy with me right now but going to live in the US from next month. Can anybody tell me if everything will work as it should? if not what will NOT work??

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Vap1d-

Vap1d- Well-Known Member

This is dependent upon your carrier and their roaming agreements in the US.

GSM/Edge will work with AT&T or T-Mobile

3G will only work with T-Mobile

Your best bet would likely be to get a flexpay plan through T-Mobile so you can have full 3G access w/out excessive data roaming charges from your carrier and just cancel it when you are leaving.

Though, that does depend upon where you are going to be in the states, T-Mobiles 3G network here is still quite young. If you are going to be in a major city, it will be fine.

3. kenbon

thanks, I will take your advice!

Are there 2 versions of this phone? the information page of wikipedia here:

Samsung I7500 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

says some versions are only dual band.. will this affect how the phone will work in the US? how do I know which one I have??

4. Vap1d-

Vap1d- Well-Known Member

From what I have gathered the devices being sold in Germany and France at least are quad-band GSM/Edge and tri-band 3G, including the needed 1700 AWS band that T-Mobile uses here in the states. I heard from a user on another forum who imported one from Germany that he picked up 3G on T-Mobile.

Expansys lists a 'UK version' and it does *not* list the necessary band in it's specs. Also, a version sporting AT&T compatible 3G passed thru the FCC last week, but it was gathered from accompanying documentation that it is headed for Latin / South America and there obviously was not any sort of release schedule included.

I do not think any info has surfaced on the version going on sale tomorrow in Taiwan, but I would guess it is the same as what is currently out- only way to know is wait and see.

5. kam187

kam187 Well-Known Member

The hardware supports the band and rumours/inside info suggest that only the radio firmware could/would dictate the frequency band restrictions. This is great news because it means the antenna's are quad band :) Its unlikely that, if they are shipping european phones enabled on the 1700mhz T-mobile band, that they would later disable this band for a version in another region. Obviously the US band should have 1700mhz enabled.

Incidentally i thought AT&T use a subsection of the GSM bands for UMTS? They should work too, but i think only major cities are covered

6. Vap1d-

Vap1d- Well-Known Member

Depending on the area, AT&T uses 850 and 1900 for UMTS.

7. kenbon

Thanks for all your advice. I have a few more questions tho!

I would also like to know what settings I would have to change in order for the galaxy to work in the US. What settings (if any) and how would I go about changing them?

Thank you in advance!