• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What would be the best way to do this

iamloco724

Android Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2009
i possibly might want to wipe my phone and ill be using the new dmupdate to root now if i make a nandroid backup and use that to restore everything does that defeat the purpose of wiping to begin with

like if the reason i wiped was because i had a problem and i made a backup right before i wipe will the problem just be there still when i restore?

basically when i wipe all i care about coming make the way it is is my contacts,my screens,and my apps

im sorry if this is confusing but ive never wiped my phone before and i want to make sure i do it the easiest way possible and the way that i will be able to restore everything i need

please dumb it down as much as possible..im sick right now and not really all there lol

You can use advanced Nadroid Backup to select what you want, but once you select DATA, I believe it backs up not only your apps/screens/etc., BUT also your problem. A backup of BOOT,RECOVERY,and SYSTEM will backup your root, recovery, and current ROM, but will lose all your personal data and apps. It would however when restored let you have a "new" rooted,ROM'ed Droid:)

As an alternative use ASTRO File Explorer to backup all of your apps-but not their settings(push menu-tools to get there in ASTRO). Then once you reinstall your ROM, you can at least redownload ASTRO and use it to bring the backed-up apps back- Just don't delete them off your SD of course.

My suggestion would be to do whatever backup you prefer(a full Nandroid advanced backup when restored would bring it back to where it is now-problems and all- but would let you come back if all else fails), then proceed to Restore your very first(assuming you have it) Nandroid backup..OR use DMupdater to get back to stock 2.0.1.

Once there, give yourself a fresh start. After it reboots into 2.0.1, if it is not like a fresh off the shelf phone, reboot it into recovery, wipe the cache and data partitions, reboot, reactivate and sign in. Then go ahead and download and run the DMupdater and choose your OS(2.0.6 is awesome for me so far). This way you get a fresh start:) Use the ASTRO backup to at least get your apps back the easy way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones