What would happen if...?

Last Updated:

1. skiahh

skiahh Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Since doing the manual 2.2 upgrade, I've lost wifi and, it appears, bluetooth.

What would happen if I re-applied the 2.2 update to the phone?

Or even did a 2.1 "update" with a 2.1 release?

From what I'm seeing, if FRG22 ever shows up, it won't fix the wifi issues some of us are having anyway.

I wasn't planning on rooting, but I might just have to to get this thing working again!

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Go to Peter Alfonso and get the master update and apply that one and see if your problems disappear or not.

Also, have you performed a Factory reset?

3. DasMuse

DasMuse Well-Known Member

just go to verizon, there was a lady there with that same problem and they managed to get it working

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

All they do is perform a Factory reset, which you can do yourself.

That wipes your apps out of memory and forces you to re-set up your apps.

if they wiped the actual OS and reinstalled it, you can do that too - use the Master FroYo as I mentioned from Pete's site.

The script in that update does exactly the same thing - wipe the system partition and copy precompiled versions of all the system files to the system partition from the .ZIP file.

5. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I wonder who knows more about it; -the lady at the Verizon store, or...

Peter Alfonso.

6. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

I'm gonna guess the lady at the Verizon store... LOL :D

Seriously, I have read all over this forum that a Factory Reset will clear basically all issues that may be caused form the FRG01b update.

Kratos

7. skiahh

I've done a factory reset.

I've forgotten every single connection I had.

I've pulled the battery countless times.

I've changed the router to open, fixed channels, etc etc etc.

I've pretty much done everything I've found on this forum and the Motorola forum.

It still doesn't work.

Oh, and I've talked to level 2 tech at V and M... neither had any fixes.

I'll go check Peter's site... not the kids at the Verizon store.

OK, so I have the update. Do I just rename it update.zip and go through the manual process again? What do I need to back up? What will be nuked off the Droid that I need to keep track of to recreate? Thanks!

8. skiahh

Well, master update applied and no change.

I can connect if I manually set the IP, but not doing it automatically (DHCP).

Anyone have any ideas now?

9. muab

muab Well-Known Member

Is your router an 802.11N router?

If so, try setting your router to G only.

(that is my one-trick fixall for wifi on 2.2...and it doesn't work that much I guess...so my trick sucks pretty much)

Psychokitty likes this.
  10. skiahh

Thanks, muab. Done that. And set it to B only. And specific channels only.

Thing is, it happens on other WPA/WPA2 routers, too.

At first I thought it was my router (though it still works fine for 2 laptops and a Blackberry), but it does the same thing with others. So it's the phone.

11. skiahh

Update: Took it into the V store where I got it and after they messed with it and tried to connect to one of their WPA2 networks, they just said, it's broke. Order a replacement. Should be here tomorrow or Wed, depending on when it goes out. They show D1s in stock for replacement, so that's what I should be getting, too.

10 years ago or so, I hated Verizon wireless. But the more I deal with their customer service these days, the more I like them! I'm damn impressed!

12. skiahh

So, took the new/refurb to the Verizon store and the lady got it to connect to her Palm device hotspot. I couldn't see what she was doing, but it did connect, so I don't know if she set a manual IP or had hers open. Back home, same old, same old. I did try Bluetooth again and it looks like that was operator error, so not an issue.

With wifi, the issue seems to be with accepting an IP from a DHCP server. Both phones will connect right up using a static IP, but neither will accept the DHCP supplied IP (even though it's the same as the static I'm setting).

And the router is showing the IP assigned when they're set up for DHCP.

So, what it comes down to, I think, is a DHCP issue on the Droid. And it was triggered with the 2.2 on my phone (I've read lots of other threads where 2.1 killed wifi, too).

I've about used up all my geekiness... anyone have any new ideas on how to tweak or kickstart the DHCP processes, short of rooting? It may come to that, but since Verizon is still willing to warranty the phone, I'm not ready to toss that yet.

13. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

This is more of just additional info... not any real solution to speak of.

There are two sides to the DCHP equation... and both must work with each other or an IP won't get assigned to the device. The router ( ie the DCHP server ) and the device ( aka client or in this case the phone )...

I've read of several users having problems connecting to Belkin routers in this forum already... I'm not picking on that brand specifically but they are cheap routers devices and have known issues with Droids...

In the other direction... When I had setup my droid to be a wireless hotspot with my old laptop... I could connect but was never given an IP... but I could connect and get an IP with another newer laptop without issue. Since I really didn't care if it worked or not... I was only checking it out to see what my options were... I didn't go further and if I have to use my Droid to connect on my laptop.. I can use a USB cable... In most cases, I'll just use my wireless connections I already have available at work, home and my friends/family.

In short... both the server and client devices have to be compatible with each other... if they aren't going to automatically connect without manually assigning an IP.

The only possible solutions that I'm aware of... Update the firmware in the router if a newer version is available... try different wireless capable kernels on the droid ( will require root access and selecting a kernel that is compatible with your rom)... and of course, get a different router of another brand.

BTW... on the question on if Peter or the lady at Verizon knows more about networking... without knowing either or their actual experience it's hard to really say... but my money is on Peter every time. There are very few really knowledgeble staff at Verizon... most are what I refer to a "minimum wager's" that are only there to collect a paycheck and only know what little they've been told... seldom, unfortunately, do they have any real world knowledge

14. skiahh

I would agree with this logic and trot down to the local BB to get a new router, except... it worked fine from origin through 2.0.1 to 2.1. It just stopped with 2.2. The two laptops and Blackberry still work fine.

Router has the newest firmware, so that's not it.

And the Droid IS connecting with the router... it's just not accepting the IP the router assigns it!!

15. muab

muab Well-Known Member

Man, I got sick of my 2.2 wifi issues...it pushed me over the brink and I rooted yesterday.

Today I am feeling a like a new man. A new man with a new phone.

A new man with a new phone who flashes things...like clockwork, and innocent bystanders.

Sometimes I flash stuff just because I can. I am think about flashing the firmware in my cat. I think he could stand to be a Bugless Beast...

...Currently he is a kibble-powered mobile flea launcher...

Anyway, I digress...

Maybe you should REALLY bank on Peter Alfonso and flush 2.2 and join the ranks of "Root Rebels" of which I am the newest and most clueless member.

I didn't notice if you said yet, have you got the frg22D OTA yet? Maybe that will settle your issues...?

16. skiahh

Haven't got 22D yet. That may be the last straw before rooting if it doesn't work.

17. muab

muab Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was pretty much of the same mind as you day before yesterday. It was when I found out that 22D closes the exploits used for "one-click" rooting tools that I decided to root instead.

However, you sound more technically competent than I, so the manual root methods will still work on 22D and you can still root if 22D doesn't solve it.

I tend to think it WILL solve it however.

Good luck on that.