• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What would you change about the Evo?

Really? I get slow speeds everywhere i go and even at home. I ran a speed test today and got .17 down and .03 up.
I ran the same test on the same phone but instead of 3g i used wifi connected to my mifi and i got 1.29 down and .31 up.

where are you? It might help that I am behind Dland.. so you know everything here HAS to be perfect lol

Upvote 0
I'd get rid of Sense and just have stock Android running on it (preferably FroYo). Hardware-wise, the EVO is PERFECT.

I believe Sense is great! one of the best features of this phone, you should be able to download new HTC widgets as well. but if you want to turn it off, you can

YouTube - HTC EVO allows you to turn off Sense UI

Here is my list:

1. Add an internal 8GB flash memory like the Incredible.

Since Froyo will allow apps2SD i don't see the point in that.

Upvote 0
I'd get rid of Sense and just have stock Android running on it (preferably FroYo). Hardware-wise, the EVO is PERFECT.

EWW stock android is so ugly, Sense is way better

Have you tried an Android phone with Eclair or Froyo on it yet? I agree that previous versions of Android where a bit ugly, but Android has come a long ways with versions 2.1 and 2.2. Plus, stock Android means faster updates, both from the manufacturer/service provider and from the hacking/developing community.

I believe Sense is great! one of the best features of this phone, you should be able to download new HTC widgets as well. but if you want to turn it off, you can

YouTube - HTC EVO allows you to turn off Sense UI

Since Froyo will allow apps2SD i don't see the point in that.

Has anyone who has an EVO already confirm this? I read reports that the Droid Incredible allowed Sense to be turned off before it was released, but the official version prevented it.

how about AM radio? why only FM ?

If you want AM radio on Android, download "Cherry Rplayer" from the market. It's free, and plays a lot of AM stations.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I'm interested merely in an improved bitrate for the EVO's video recorder, and satisfied with all else for a smartphone of this generation. And I expect an improved bitrate hack might become available through rooting, or possibly even as an over the air update.

But I doubt that's in the spirit of the thread, soo...

- Dual-core 1.5GHz Snapdragon processor, with GPU and dedicated 512 MB RAM

- 1GB system RAM

- 2GB ROM

- 64GB internal storage with easily accessed microSD slot with support to 2TB (format is coming)

- HD antenna and TV tuner

- IR so the EVO could be used as a universal remote

- Dual speakers with stereo support

- 4.5" superAMOLED screen with 1920x1080 resolution

- 10,000mAh solid state battery with kinetic recharging

- 1080p video recording

- Wifi N and Bluetooth 3.0

- RFID chip so the phone may be used as a wireless bank card

Upvote 0
how about AM radio? why only FM ?

You'd need a bigger antenna, I believe.

As for my modifications...

-Higher resolution screen. I would have enjoyed 600x1000, say.
-Higher energy density battery. We see them aftermarket, so why not stock?
-Easily accessible MicroSD card. If we're not getting any internal storage, we should be able to easily hotswap the cards, even if we have to take the battery cover off. To have to take the battery cover off and take out the battery is a bit ridiculous in a phone of this caliber.
-Internal storage. 16GB or more.
-Less compression on the video recording. The chipset can handle it, as far as I know.
-SuperAMOLED screen. Those screens are ****ing amazing.
-Gorilla Glass on the screen and the camera lens, if it doesn't affect image quality (I'm not sure how transparent it is, as it's so strong...).
-Dedicated silent switch. Useful stuff.

That's what I can think of, at least for now.

Upvote 0
As for my modifications...

-Easily accessible MicroSD card. If we're not getting any internal storage, we should be able to easily hotswap the cards, even if we have to take the battery cover off. To have to take the battery cover off and take out the batter is a bit ridiculous in a phone of this caliber.

I'm pretty sure their reasoning for this is because they were trying to cram a lot into a small (thin) package. I've heard the mechanism for installing/removing the sd card is strange as well, also purportedly due to space constraints.

Upvote 0
Here is my list:

1. Add an internal 8GB flash memory like the Incredible
2. Add 850, 1900 and 2100 GSM 3G bands
3. Add a larger/more potent battery (without bulking up the phone any more)

If those things were added you would have a phone I marry.

Ewww why would you mess up the phone by putting GSM in it? If you make it a world phone, it'll cost $400 subsidized. If you simply make it a GSM phone then it'll totally be a piece of shit cause it won't make phone calls.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure their reasoning for this is because they were trying to cram a lot into a small (thin) package. I've heard the mechanism for installing/removing the sd card is strange as well, also purportedly due to space constraints.

Of course. But I'd still change it were it possible :p.

As a note, I'd also like the white circles gone and a dedicated camera button. Where would I put it, though? The phone only goes into landscape with the speaker to the left, so the obvious choice would be on the bottom-right. However, I'd then fear that my hand might activate it while holding it. Decisions, decisions...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones