• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What would you do? (Opportunity to trade for Droid X)

To trade or not to trade?

• Trade!

Votes: 72 41.6%
  • Keep it!

Votes: 101 58.4%

• Total voters
The way I look at it is this.. The incredible is now rooted. We have had it for a couple months, founds its strengths and weaknesses. We know it. These are facts, we deal with them and have minimized its weaknesses. We have Froyo coming soon, either by an OTA update or through a custom ROM.

The X is an unknown. It could be buggy, slow, have 60% hardware fail rate. We don't know. People could get it and hate it.

If you're happy with the Incredible, why even bother ask the question? If you're not happy with it, well then I guess you should have returned it within 30 days and shut up about how terrible it is, and move on to something new :)

Upvote 0
The way I look at it is this.. The incredible is now rooted. We have had it for a couple months, founds its strengths and weaknesses. We know it. These are facts, we deal with them and have minimized its weaknesses. We have Froyo coming soon, either by an OTA update or through a custom ROM.

The X is an unknown. It could be buggy, slow, have 60% hardware fail rate. We don't know. People could get it and hate it.

If you're happy with the Incredible, why even bother ask the question? If you're not happy with it, well then I guess you should have returned it within 30 days and shut up about how terrible it is, and move on to something new :)

Have you read any of the reviews on it? It seems to be pretty well known how it performs even if its not a final release.

Upvote 0
I was very turned off on the Moto Droid with it's sh$tty Exchange support. You can't accept meeting requests, no signature, and you can't move messages to folders. If you go to the Phone app, there is no number pad where you can start typing in the name or number you want to call. WTF? Motorola is teh suck.

The Incredible does everything I need it to, especially now that it's rooted. I'm keeping this phone for at least 2 years!

Upvote 0
Have you read any of the reviews on it? It seems to be pretty well known how it performs even if its not a final release.

Funny thing is, the Incredible had (bad pun) incredible reviews, but still some people have issues with it. The iPhone 4 had glowing reviews, but fleets of people have issues with it. The Evo had great reviews, but still some people have issues with it.

The fact is, great reviews for a phone, mean little in regards to failure rates and potential issues. Sure, the classic droid is well built, but by no means bullet proof, and we really can't predict how the X will fare until alot of people own it.

Upvote 0

Yes, I have. I also know that sending out a few (probably tested) models out for review is a standard practice. I'm talking about failure rate out of thousands of units. Also, a 2-hr usage review isn't going to find all (if even some) of the flaws with the phone.

I never rely too heavily on those reviews for exactly that reason.

Upvote 0
Someone tested the Droid X for well over 2 hours. A spot know for phone reviews phonearena.com

Talk time an all day review, usage time was over a 2 day period.

http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Motorola-DROID-X-MB810-Review-review-r_2466.html

he reviewed the Inc too back when it came out.

http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/HTC-Droid-Incredible-Review-review-r_2424.html

I just wished he woulda compared the X against the EVO, another big screen phone.

I like how he tests talk time: he calls a number, than lets it stay connected til the battery dies. He explained some of his testing methods at howardforums.com

Thats a phone forum, community.

Plus a guy at these forums got an X and he has an Inc. (or had it if he sold it) Battery life and reception.....looks like the X has better of both.

Upvote 0
My battery is tolerable and I successfully did a lot of the 'battery hacks/fixes' with great results. Call quality is the best I've ever had, full bars every where and not one single dropped call.

Droid X is the same as the DINC to me except for the obvious later release date perks. I dont want that big of a screen and I am in love with the DINC

My opinion is keep it, but if you are having problems that can't be fixed or you want a bigger screen...definitely go for the X

Upvote 0
As someone who spent several weeks researching phone and was very excited about the X announcement, I can only say: A tiny bit of advancement isn't worth obsessing over.

I'm a huge tech fan and I obsess like crazy. But I was forced to choose between the iPhone4 and the Aria, and having chosen the Aria I can say with conviction that even being considered a "mid-level" phone, and while I'm sure I'd be somewhat happier with the Verizon network and their offerings; I am perfectly happy with this phone.

Those of you with Incredibles who are now salivating over the X and willing to make the swap... why? What's suddenly made your Inc so crappy? You do realize that right after the X another phone is going to come along that is going to antique the X right? And you can only swap out every 1-2 years depending on your contract?

Why not just make a choice, and grow into it instead of sitting on top of it, always looking forward towards what's better and what you cant have (past your 30 days)?

They're all good phones. The release of a new one doesn't make the previous worthless.

Upvote 0
As someone who spent several weeks researching phone and was very excited about the X announcement, I can only say: A tiny bit of advancement isn't worth obsessing over.

I'm a huge tech fan and I obsess like crazy. But I was forced to choose between the iPhone4 and the Aria, and having chosen the Aria I can say with conviction that even being considered a "mid-level" phone, and while I'm sure I'd be somewhat happier with the Verizon network and their offerings; I am perfectly happy with this phone.

Those of you with Incredibles who are now salivating over the X and willing to make the swap... why? What's suddenly made your Inc so crappy? You do realize that right after the X another phone is going to come along that is going to antique the X right? And you can only swap out every 1-2 years depending on your contract?

Why not just make a choice, and grow into it instead of sitting on top of it, always looking forward towards what's better and what you cant have (past your 30 days)?

They're all good phones. The release of a new one doesn't make the previous worthless.

Wow, finally. Thank you.

Upvote 0
Well. I know I will be happy with whatever phone I end up with. But if I am going to be locked down for two years, I wanna end up with the better one. Granted there will always be better phones coming out, but by then I can say that I chose the best possible option at the time. I really do enjoy my incredible, but if the DX is that much better, why not get it?

Upvote 0
Well. I know I will be happy with whatever phone I end up with. But if I am going to be locked down for two years, I wanna end up with the better one. Granted there will always be better phones coming out, but by then I can say that I chose the best possible option at the time. I really do enjoy my incredible, but if the DX is that much better, why not get it?

I felt exactly that way. If you knew me in person then you'd realize how compulsive I am about things. It was probably that same compulsion that lead me to walking out with a phone instead of waiting; simply because the Aria was available.

My point is that once I got some face time with this so-called "mid-level" phone, one most tech-heads were balking at as being "barely an android", I was pretty much awakened to how silly these miniscule upgrades were. I have no doubt that the Incredible is significantly better than this, or that the X is significantly better than the Incredible, but what exactly is the range of "significant" these days?

Every few months there's going to be a new "killer phone" (or, sadly, marketed as the latest "iphone killer"). I get the "might as well get the best" mentality considering how long you're going to be stuck with it, but it's not like "the best" only comes out every year or so. It comes out every couple of weeks. At what point do you just choose a "best" and be happy with it?

Everyone I know gave me shit for spending so much time researching "a phone". Even though that part of it is going to be the least used function for me. There's certainly a huge stigmata placed on giving a "phone" too much shopping attention, even though its literally the ONLY electronic you're going to own that has a freaking contract attached to it.

So think about this: If you're tired of your phone in less than a month, just imagine how tired you're going to be of the one that you took over it once TWO YEARS have passed. If a single month's worth of technological advancement can leave you begging for more, what is 2 years going to do to you?

Sooner or later you're going to have to choose a tech that's "frozen in time" and limp along with it until you can jack your subconscious into the ether.

I agree, it's not just a phone. But it's also not a quickly defrosting heart valve replacement.

Upvote 0
Really unless you are really bored or have some kind of complex there is really no functional need to trade phones. The INC is just as good as the X. I don't know anyone that is 20+ that uses their phones for 3 gaming. I don't think any new phone is going to wow anyone..Phones are not going to have any "new" capabilities. I would hold off at least until the Droid got a Gyrcoscope, etc.

Upvote 0
there is so many people saying how great the droid x is, built quality but did any of you hold the phone? Well, so let me tell you, the phone doesn't not fell as solid as the moto droid, the phone is not heavy at all (this is a good thing) but it doesn't feel so solid like everyone here who never had the phone in hands say it is. The phone in your hands feels HUGE and the screen looks MUCH better on the inc, I had the Droid X in my hands yesterday afternoon for about 3 hours and I will not be changing phone even with the HDMI out on the Droid X.

Incredible is smoother then Droid X, pictures looks better on the inc, video on the moto droid is beautiful but the pros on the Droid X are not good enough to make me trade my inc for a droid x.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones