What would you like to see in the next firmware upgrade?

Last Updated:

1. NineToTheSky

NineToTheSky Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

As the Desire is very new, people are only just discovering what it has, and what it hasn't; what they like, and what they don't.

So, what would you like to see in the next firmware upgrade?

As of 26th April:

I just thought I'd do an update on this, and compile a list of everyone's suggestions so far:

• Audio syncing in video
    • Android 2.2 pre rooted with the ability to install apps to the sd card
    • Flash 10.1
    • divx support
    • Pink hue screen fix
    • 802.11n
    • 720 HD video Recording
    • DLA, or DLNA
    • Pink spot on camera shots fix
    • Improved camera UI (making more options available onscreen, rather than via the roll out window)
    • Friendstream and RSS widgets fixed so they update properly
    • Fix the music player so it copes with non-unicode tagging to properly display genres
    • Bluetooth dialing
    • The ability to store applications on the SD Card
    • Sending music to car stereo by using the FM radio transmission capabilities of the onboard radio chip
    • Better handling of images for wallpapers
    • Ability to re-order icons in folders on home screens
    • Ability to set a default of NO REMINDER on calendar entries
    • "Real" week view (like Calendar Pad)
    • The ability to actually read a contacts address
    • The ability to filter out folders to NOT view in the Gallery/Albums/MP3 player
    • The ability to turn OFF the phone radio but leave ON my WiFi
    • More intelligent keyboard - predict words and next key press
    • A JIT compiler
    • The ability to add proxy settings to WiFi connections

I hope I haven't left anything out. Keep the suggestions coming!

Advertisement
  2. Kendoji

Kendoji Well-Known Member

My Desire is fantastic, but there are some stability issues, particularly with the otherwise wonderful default browser. If the next firmware releases fixes it I'll be a happy camper.

This phone is so great, I honestly can't think of much more that's missing!

3. DC1

DC1 Member

Some kind of playback sound eq + video recording volume control too - distorts like crazy compared to old Sony Ericsson C902 with live music.

4. Elsie

Elsie Active Member

WMA support!

5. byron_hinson

byron_hinson Well-Known Member

Audio syncing in video would be a start!

6. oldnick

oldnick Well-Known Member

Bluetooth Voice activated dialing please

7. Pyr0x64

Pyr0x64 Active Member

android 2.2 pre rooted with the ability to install apps to the sd card :p
    flash 10.1
    divx support
    pink hue screen fix
    802.11n

8. colrey

colrey Well-Known Member

i would imagine, that in june/july

720 HD video Recording
    DLA, or DLNA, you will be able to use the desire through your tv wireless (only new tv's that support this):)

And this will be OTA update

9. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

Wow, if you can't think of what this phone needs you lack imagination!!!!

Like these from above lists:
    flash 10.1
    divx support
    pink hue screen fix
    802.11n
    DLNA
    720 HD video Recording

Would add:
    + pink spot on camera shots fix
    + improved camera UI (please make more options available onscreen, rather than via that stupid roll out window)
    + Friendstream and RSS widgets fixed so they update properly
    + Fix the music player so it copes with non-unicode tagging to properly display Genre's (like every other player on the planet)

10. Celox

Celox Well-Known Member

first, I cant see a pink hue on my phone
    and second, my desire logs on to my 802.11n only wireless router without any problems, great signal and speed

11. Yenzehn

Yenzehn Well-Known Member

First; Some HTC desire phones do face issues with pinkish screens.

Second: As for Wireless-N: Your router is using dual mode N and G or something similar, with your Desire only using the G (or B) standard.

HTC Desire has a chip that can run the wireless N standard(faster transfer speeds, less power usage), which is inactivated.

12. kenc3dan

kenc3dan Active Member

Bluetooth dialing for me too please.

13. Bully74uk

Bully74uk Well-Known Member

The ability to store applications on the SD Card wold be a good start.

I don't own a desire yet and this is the one thing that's bugging me a bit with my decision to purchase.

I don't want to find myself in a position where I have to regularly uninstall apps in order to make space for new ones !

14. skandalfo

skandalfo Active Member

Sending music to my car stereo by using the FM radio transmission capabilities of the onboard radio chip.

15. Celox

Celox Well-Known Member

just checked again, it's only sending N. tested with an older laptop, it cannot find or connect to the wireless.

Searched google abit, some nexus one users have reported the same thing happening (nexus one connection to wireless N only networks)

Don't know how this is possible

16. Celox

Celox Well-Known Member

Would be nice to see this in a firmware update, however untill google implements this our only 'hope' is to root our desire and use an app called 'app2sd'

17. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

As I am currently using a T-Mobile G2 (HTC Hero) running 1.5 (my Desire ought to be delivered tomorrow according to T-Mobile!), I shall make my suggestions based on that, and hope that as many of them as possible are already sorted in 2.1....

Better handling of images for wallpapers. It's either colour depth or compression, but wallpapers look really poor on both lock screen and homescreen.

Ability to re-order icons in folders on home screens. Great to make folders for things but then if I add twenty icons into a folder, I want to be able to sort them.

Ability to set a default of NO REMINDER on calendar entries, instead of having to set each entry with no reminder because the default only goes down to five minutes.

"Real" week view (like Calendar Pad) - these screen are high resolution, Google. There is enough space to show some text and not these stupid "free time" view calendar views that you think are good enough.

The ability to actually read a contacts address. Google seem to think that postal addresses are simply there to link to Google Maps. Well - some of us still write letters and need to look up addresses and having to edit a contact to be able to view their whole address is pretty poor.

The ability to filter out folders to NOT view in the Gallery/Albums/MP3 player. I have a backup of loads of family photos and that slows my Gallery right down. I also have a load of audio books that I don't want listed in my mp3 player. But to get around this I have to hack it so that folders start with a "." otherwise everything gets added. Give ME control over what is added, don't just assume everything need be. We don't need nannying like iPhone users.

The ability to turn OFF the phone radio but leave ON my WiFi. I think it can be done through various combinations of off/on/off/on stuff, but why not make it easy? Airplane mode turns them both off, but there are times (when kids are playing sometimes) that I might like WiFi on but phone off.

More intelligent keyboard - I like the way that the iPhone keyboard not only predicts words, but also predicts which key you are next likely to press and makes the "sensor" area around that key slightly larger until the next keypress. This actually does make typing easier and quicker on an iPhone.

That's just the little niggles that annoy me. As I say, not sure how many might be sorted in 2.1 over 1.5.....find out tomorrow I hope. Then there's the bigger things like getting the Market to work, sorting out the filtering and searching, letting us browse and buy online instead of on device, and putting an end to the constant "download unsuccesful" errors that result in having to hard reset devices.

18. Pyr0x64

Pyr0x64 Active Member

a JIT compiler would be nice too

19. corney91

corney91 Well-Known Member

This, please :)
    I, personally, wouldn't like this but I think there's an alternate keyboard you can install to do it :)

20. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

I dont have any audio/video sync issues that do not appear on the laptop from time to time, it may be a Wifi bandwidth issue or squeezing on the mobile network that causes this rather than the phone itself (although it will likely never be in 'perfect' sync on these phones through streaming). The beebplayer app works like a dream playing live TV through my wifi.

Absolutely!

Oh, yeh. Have an FM transmitter on my LG Arena, and it rocks (eventually!)

MY main 'need' is the ability to add proxy settings to WiFi connections, and this is something Google are dragging their feet over.:confused:

21. geemacd

geemacd Well-Known Member

All for better camera interface

22. NineToTheSky

NineToTheSky Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just thought I'd do an update on this, and compile a list of everyone's suggestions so far:

• Audio syncing in video
    • Android 2.2 pre rooted with the ability to install apps to the sd card
    • Flash 10.1
    • divx support
    • Pink hue screen fix
    • 802.11n
    • 720 HD video Recording
    • DLA, or DLNA
    • Pink spot on camera shots fix
    • Improved camera UI (making more options available onscreen, rather than via the roll out window)
    • Friendstream and RSS widgets fixed so they update properly
    • Fix the music player so it copes with non-unicode tagging to properly display genres
    • Bluetooth dialing
    • The ability to store applications on the SD Card
    • Sending music to car stereo by using the FM radio transmission capabilities of the onboard radio chip
    • Better handling of images for wallpapers
    • Ability to re-order icons in folders on home screens
    • Ability to set a default of NO REMINDER on calendar entries
    • "Real" week view (like Calendar Pad)
    • The ability to actually read a contacts address
    • The ability to filter out folders to NOT view in the Gallery/Albums/MP3 player
    • The ability to turn OFF the phone radio but leave ON my WiFi
    • More intelligent keyboard - predict words and next key press
    • A JIT compiler
    • The ability to add proxy settings to WiFi connections

I hope I haven't left anything out. Keep the suggestions coming!

kboya likes this.
  23. Celox

Celox Well-Known Member

Ability to change the vibration level of incoming messages and calls

24. indie13

indie13 Member

Fix the issue relating to Pop email polling times

Google implemented a setting in 2.1 which allows you to set the polling time to peak time and off pear. The problem is that this setting doesn't work. For some reason if you set the polling time to every hour for the peak and every 4 hours for off peak, it will only sync every 4 fours......bug!

25. fiish

fiish Active Member

It would be nice to have a fix for the issue where SMS messages from services who identify themselves by name (e.g. text updates from the operator) get identified as coming from Facebook contacts who have text in their phone number field. Currently the workarounds, as far as I can tell, are deleting the Facebook friend in question or removing the Facebook account from the phone.

There are many interesting ideas on the list; will it be seen by someone at HTC at some point?