what would you pay for the Epic?

Last Updated:

1. TRSN

TRSN Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just saw online the Epic is likely to be released on August 20th at a price of $299 with 2 year contract. That seems a bit steep, considering the Captivate over at AT&T is $199.

I was planning on 4 Epics for the family, but this may change my decision.

Anyone hearing anything different?

BTW, I am test driving the Captivate right now and love it.

Advertisement
  2. mattism78

mattism78 Well-Known Member

I imagine the $299 is prior to a $100 mail in rebate. I wouldn't think they would price this phone that much higher than it's counterparts.

3. icemanjs4

icemanjs4 Well-Known Member

Where did you see that pricing info?

4. TRSN

You are probably correct. I bet there will be a $100 rebate.

Here is the link where I saw this info.

Epic 4G making its way to Sprint next month

5. bdforte69

bdforte69 Well-Known Member

If it is any more than $199 (after rebate), then it will be a colossal failure I'm afraid. That is the new sweet spot for consumers. No one will ever pay 400-500 bones out of pocket for a cell phone ever again! Not with the state of the economy.

6. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

I might be forced to pay for the off contract price if they don't let me early upgrade from the Moment :( :(

This thing keeps locking up!

7. Nightfury82

Nightfury82 Active Member

I'm getting my off contract and hope its no more than $450.

8. TRSN

I keep see people talk about paying off contract pricing. Can't you pay the early cancellation fee (usually starts at $175 and goes down each month), and then get a new phone for $199?

If they don't let you do that to get a new phone, why not tell them you will be paying the early termination fee and switching to a different provider - see what they say then.

just a thought.

9. laredo7mm

laredo7mm Well-Known Member

Sprint's ETF starts at $200 and does not start going down until after 4 months in contract. Plus, by cancelling your contract you would lose your phone number.

To me saving a few hundred is not worth changing my number or porting it around to other carriers just to try and get a full upgrade.

Plus, if you buy off contract, when your upgrade does come, you can get another new phone and sell it to offset your costs.

10. Puddin422

Puddin422 Well-Known Member

I'll pay the $199 upgrade/2 year contract price, but probably no more than that. Just don't have much cash flow these days.

11. crow11ad

crow11ad Well-Known Member

What the Moment locks up....:eek: say it isn't so...nooooooooo....Mine does too...Please sprint let us upgrade early.

12. beldorian

beldorian Active Member

Pricing ... This is a great discussion

I will not pay any more than what the EVO went for... Especially since it is not shipping with 2.2 - Articles and reviews I've read say Sprint is targeting Blackberry users with the Epic 4G, but if I cannot use bluetooth voice dialing and if the phone has the Galaxy Outlook sync issue why would I pay more for missing basic functionality? In fact, if the phone ships with these "nerfs" I will have a hard time feeling comfortable upgrading, let alone possibly having to come out of pocket $300

Just my .02 :)

13. Jebus Christ

Jebus Christ Well-Known Member

I just hope the off contract price isn't more than $500

14. crow11ad

I really have a strong feeling that the price will be the same as the other carriers. Each carrier opted for their own version. Sprint will price accordingly if not be a little less...maybe as we can hope as they know they will make up any cocts with the 4g.

15. miamithrice

miamithrice Active Member

Anticipating the same cost as the Evo @ $449.99 off of contract. Would gladly pay this amount.

16. plainbrad

plainbrad Well-Known Member

I can see $199 + 2 yr contract if IF there is some sort of proof that the GPS actually works.

17. SebastianX

SebastianX Well-Known Member

Would pay as high as 250 after rebate, meaning I'd go as high as 50 dollars more than the Evo but not a penny more. In my opinion this phone does cost more to make than it's competitiors but any high than 250 would be a fatal mistake for Sprint, I think it'll be the same as the Evo though Sprint will more than likely take the loss on the device as they usually do.

18. beldorian

beldorian Active Member

Does anybody else think its crazy to say things like I'd pay $$$ more than I absolutely have to??? I just find it weird to give these companies who are making their real money on the monthly contracted payments any more than we have to *sheesh*

19. Soufjerzz

Soufjerzz Well-Known Member

AGREED. I wouldn't even hesitate. Thats how fed up I am with The Moment ..

20. So-Low Da Don

So-Low Da Don Well-Known Member

I'd pay up to 600 w/o contract and 300 with... that's how much I want this phone!

21. crow11ad

I too am fed up with the Moment as I had to hard reset...seems to fix most of the problems....This is the first time I reset after geting Eclair update.

But paying that much my wife would kill me...lol...Now since I get to upgrade this year...and she knows the problem I have been having...hence the "how convenient"