• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

what would you think of windows xp on a device as an OS ?

its touchpad not trackpad people, grr. trackpad is IBM's stupid name for a touchpad.

I tried Xp embedded when i first came out and it was pretty sucky compared to nt4.
The biggest issue with XP is the integration of so much crap that can't really be removed.
a device doesn't need com+, doesn't need .net doesn't want IE or OE, there is too much crap, thats why it doesn't work.

Upvote 0
No. Desktop/PC OSs require a mouse/trackpad and keyboard. They're pretty much useless without.

You seem to have overlooked this part of the OP.

if it were optimized

So try to imagine you didn't need a keyboard and mouse. Infact Mouse is irrelevant with touch screen anyway. So try to imagine it worked without keyboard shortcuts. We don't even need to come up with the logisitics or mechanics behind it for the purpose of this.

Upvote 0
i actually made a youtube video about this where i was telling bill gates to make such a handheld device with windows on it. The old palm pilots had it 10 years ago. It was like a version of windows. Microsoft got into that game way too early before everyone had wifi/dsl. I made the youtube video before actually using an android device. In the video i actuallyy said" i dont want android or ios"" I WANT WINDOWS'. I now have a galaxy player with 2.3.6 and i have no real complaints with the os. Although im sure that windows still has more freedom/options and i could only assume that such a device would have excellent compatibilty with windows on our computers. Its a shame that on our handsets we have to deal with an OS that is made by someone other than microsoft which is what were used to. So in other words windows would be excellent on a mobile device if it were modified correctly. Its too bad that apple saw the potential of such a device and microsoft didnt. OR they did but it was too early and they ended up giving up too soon. They had the power to make something very great and now they just have crappy phones. Again a windows based wifi device is an excellent idea but by the time microsoft wakes up it might be too late, i know nothing about the windows phones other than there a phone and i hate monthly bills

Upvote 0
I once found a site that let you boot Windows 98 on an Android phone. I can't recall where it was. It was just an APK download too that you side loaded. Coolest thing was that if you hit the home button instead of shutting the OS down first, it crashed and burned and griped at you the next time you started up. Brought back old memories.

Upvote 0
I once found a site that let you boot Windows 98 on an Android phone. I can't recall where it was. It was just an APK download too that you side loaded. Coolest thing was that if you hit the home button instead of shutting the OS down first, it crashed and burned and griped at you the next time you started up. Brought back old memories.

Ha ha ha! I think I tried that app! :D It may not be the same one though. The app was pretty much useless. :)

Upvote 0
if it were optimized like the tablet computers so that it wouldn't need a physical mouse.

would you get this device if the hardware was good ?

Hardware is irrelevant. It is the software experience. XP, windows or any Desktop OS is NOT suited for a mobile device. I had full on Ubuntu 11.10 installed on my HP Touchpad. It was pretty amazing to see mySQL, Gimp, Firefox, Open Office run on a tablet "natively." but the novelty wore off quick.

I am on my third iPad (1,2,3) and I will be getting a Galaxy Tab 2 next week. It is an iPad market and the iPad app-ecosystem proves it.

For the 1st, 2nd, I used the iPad as mostly an entertainment device but the 3rd one has taken everything to a whole new level. I am ready to leave my two QUAD-core i7 laptops at home and just use the iPad 3. I bought some great apps so all my work can be done on the iPad. - UML modelling, visio flow charting, database queries/programming, remote VPN access. I can interchange Excel files. I can remotely log in. I can mount Windows, Linux, NFS, Appletalk shares from all kinds of server environments and view EPS and native Photoshop hi-res files. I can dump 14 megapixel RAW files and edit them on the iPad. I manage a cluster of 60 servers and 12 databases from my iPad. I show and review hi-res files to clients. Make quotes, annotate PDFs.

The workflow has dramatically changed in the last 4 months where the touch, multigesture apps have come up to steam. I do all my flow-charting and GNATT diagrams on my iPad. Clients review and interact and everything works. I create XEN VMs, design mySQL and Postgres Data schemas. What else do I need for "REAL WORK?"

So the Touchpad running "full" Ubuntu, a desktop OS with real "desktop OS apps" didn't cut it for me because it was so cumbersome.

App developers are taking everything to a whole new level.

XP on a mobile device doesn't interest me. Heck, OSX on a mobile device doesn't interest me. Linux (unless it has an intuitive multigesture UI) doesn't interest me.

The only XP (window) apps I would ever run are erWin (a high end database modelling) and Visio and I can't ever see it running well with a stylus or touch click.

Upvote 0
if it were optimized like the tablet computers so that it wouldn't need a physical mouse.
Nope. And yes, I've tried (Windows XP Tablet PC Edition does exist). There's a definite need for a stylus unless you plan on coding all your own programs and don't plan on ever installing other applications. For the most part, Windows applications tend to have small icons, etc, which is difficult to tap with pudgy fingers.

would you get this device if the hardware was good ?
What makes for a good tablet and a good performance x86 desktop are a bit at odds for now. x86 consumes too much power and runs too hot. Heck, there was a huge outcry due to the iPad 3 running warm. Put x86 on a tablet and it'll be even worse. Sides, why go back to XP when Windows Vista and 7 are better designed for tablets?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones