Whatever Happened to 2.1 Combined Inbox?General

Last Updated:

1. zigzackattack

zigzackattack Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I thought 2.1 was supposed to come with a way to combine the inbox of all your email accounts into one in mail. Not seeing this... am I missing something or was this left out of 2.1?

Advertisement
  2. arock

arock Well-Known Member

From what I can gather at this point, the version of 2.1 on the eris is not the full 2.1 that we have seen on the nexus one. I would imagine that they are different for a reason. What that reason is, I have no idea.

3. zigzackattack

Is there anyway of downloading that mail app? Has it been ported? I know a lot of the nexus one apps have been ported like the Gallery app (which I am currently running) and the Mail and Weather widget. I really would love this feature... I have having to move back and forth between inboxes.

4. flspnr

flspnr Well-Known Member

You can switch between inboxes if they're in your mail app. (Pop3/imap mail that is), but not with the google account your phone is signed in to.

To do it in HTC's mail app, sign in with 2 or more pop accounts. Open the mail app. At the very top will be what you names your email account. Click the button in the upper right corner (looks like a triangle in a circle) or click the name of the email account, and it pops up an option to switch to a different inbox. You don't have to completely go to another app this way, but it doesn't work with the email you use to log into the other stuff on the phone (the one you set up with the phone, to get in the market and such).

I suppose you could turn off the auto sync for it in the settings and turn off notifications and whatnot and use it in a pop account on this though if you wanted, but I haven't tried yet. I just might though!

Hope that helps. Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but it should make it a lot fater to switch between inboxes. I'm gonna give adding my main one to that a try right now, I'll update in a few min. :)

UPDATE: Adding my main gmail account to the mail app. Went to Gmail App > Menu > Settings > Unchecked Email Notifications. Then sent myself a test email. It went to the Mail App, that has multiple accounts, but the fastest sync time for that is 5 minutes - it's not almost instant compared to emails through the gmail app. A notification did pop up, but it was for the mail app, not the gmail app, just what I was trying to do. Now I have 3 email addresses in my Mail app, and can switch between them easily. Hope this helps!

5. Mr.Slave

Mr.Slave Well-Known Member

In gmail push Menu->Accounts->Add account, its at the bottom. Easy eh?!?!

6. zigzackattack

Sorry, I guess I should have been clear. On my old BlackBerry and the Mail app on my mac all the email from all three of my email accounts go into one inbox. For example, if I looked in my general inbox it would look something like this:

Email 1 -- From yourfriend@gmail.com (myemail1@gmail.com)
    Email 2 -- From myotherfriend@yahoo.com (myemail2@gmail.com)
    Email 3 -- From mycollege@thecollegeigoto.edu (mycollegeemail@thecollegeigoto.edu)

and so on and so fourth... I know I read a few places that this was on other versions of 2.1... so is there any way that mail app can be ported? Getting mail in three different inboxes on the Eris is such a pain. I really miss email on my BB.

7. rsbenedict

rsbenedict Well-Known Member

This was the feature that the Palm Pre has.

8. Mr.Slave

Mr.Slave Well-Known Member

To use those email servers you have to use the Mail app that is included or download one from the market. The gmail app is only meant to handle gmail. You can use the other mail app to handle gmail though you just can't use the gmail app to handle other email.

9. zigzackattack

I guess I still didn't explain well enough. I'm not looking to use the GMail app at all. I realize the difference between the GMail app and the Mail app, but I am looking for something that will be able to view all my incoming message (from three different email accounts) in one combined list. I realize I can have Mail pull all my mail from all my accounts. However, I don't want to have to use that triangle in the corner to keep switching between mailboxes. I want all my mail displayed in one list. Sorry for all the confusion.

10. bottlecap

bottlecap Well-Known Member

So does Blackberry, doesn't mean I I'll switch.

11. rldev

rldev Well-Known Member

Dude, I fully understand what you want, you are not crazy. I have the same issue and am quite upset I don't see it. I have too many account to have to flick between through. Have you come up with anything? I know the droid has a combined inbox.

12. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

I do too. BB did mail the best I have ever seen at this point. But I knew that going in and decided to live with it. Perhaps at some point someone will port it from BB to Droid.

13. arock

arock Well-Known Member

Well the mail app is created by HTC and on the leaked 2.1 it says it is version 7. Anyone still running 1.5 wanna check to see what version of the mail app they have? Also if anyone knows anyone with a nexus one, or even a droid and see who makes the app on those phones and what version they are running.

14. jeffgman

jeffgman Well-Known Member

I am still running 1.5. How do you see what version the Mail app is?

15. arock

arock Well-Known Member

You can go to settings > applications > manage applications > then after it loads all of your applications scroll down until you find the mail app. Just select it and it should show detailed info about the app.

16. rldev

rldev Well-Known Member

Is there a way to port nexus on email app or download it?

17. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

On 1.5, Mail is by HTC Corporation. When you click "About", version is 2.00.0029.104882

18. Scynthetic78

Scynthetic78 Well-Known Member

19. arock

arock Well-Known Member

So after looking again the mail app on the leaked 2.1 is 2.00.0036.134869. So it is a slightly different build than the app on 1.5. I also tried to look up the info for the email app on the moto droid and it doesnt give any info on it. There is no about button to select to see a version or anything. I dont know anyone with a nexus so I cant check that one.

20. dspanos

dspanos Member

This feature was one of the main reasons I was excited about the Eris getting upgraded to 2.1. I was really disappointed when it wasn't an option. If anyone can figure out how to port the 2.1 combined inbox from the Nexus One I would be forever in your debt!

21. rmwonson

rmwonson New Member

I have an EVO and am looking for the combined inbox as well. I just switched from a BB. The combined inbox did more than just email though - it did all the text accounts and phone calls if you wanted it to, all clearly labelled. That means opening one folder to get at everything. The trackball and double push made it very fast to reply to emails, texts or missed calls. I hope a solution develops fast.

22. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

FWIW, the third party app K-9 Mail has a unified inbox, for anybody still looking for that.

23. ehamel3808

ehamel3808 Member

So you get your gmail e-mails in your Mail app inbox? You have 3 e-mail addresses in your Mail app and some of them are gmail addresses?

I tried what you said to do and there is still only one e-mail account for in my Mail app

24. feutze

feutze New Member

As of 5 minutes ago, Sprint just pushed an update to my HTC Evo Shift that adds the combined inbox on the Mail app. Yeay! There is an "accounts list" button that you can add mailboxes to.Not sure if it still not "push" mail though. It seems pretty immediate and the notifications automatically shifted from the Gmail app to the Mail app.