1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

What's a worthy replacement?

1. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I have had my Desire a couple of years, or almost at least and I really fancy a change. The Desire has been a great phone but times do change and I think the time is near.

I'm not really up to speed on phones just around the corner so wouldn't know when the best time would be. I fancy the Sensation but wonder if it's likely to be superseded any time soon.

Can anyone make any suggestions? I love HTC phones but as long as it's Android I'll consider others :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

3. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Well-Known Member

Xperia s..
    Oh my..
  4. Fishyweb

Fishyweb Well-Known Member

I'm liking the look of the Xperia S as well. I want my next phone to have ANT+ connectivity, and the Xperia line is the only brand that seems to feature this at present (apart from one left-field HTC model that I'm not interested in). So I'll take a look at what deals are around for the Xperia S when it comes out, or maybe snap up an Xperia Arc S if some discounted prices come along. My Desire is out of contract in early April.
  5. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I bet the Xperia S is plasticy. It looks it if you look at the rocker button on the side in that picture.

I just cant help thinking "Why buy 1.5Ghz Dual core when I can have Quad?"
  6. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Well-Known Member

I'm glad you said that about the plastic, I thought I was the only one that thought that.
    I want to like that phone so bad, will see what I think when I actually hold one.
    I'll have to take a look at the other link you posted.
    A quad core phone... Man that sounds immense..
    A tad stupid for a phone, but so immense.
    Worries me a little bit though even considering a quad core phone, unless the battery has been optimized an awful lot, or just the general system usage.
    Knowing how fast my Desire sucked at my battery, from full to flat in 8-9 hours was just silly, hoping a quad core won't be the same. Saying that though, the dual cores (that I'm aware of) last longer than that.

Am I worrying about nothing? Maybe, but I do what I do!
  7. SUroot

I just don't know... :)

I want to be able to run ubuntu nicely on my phone. It runs OK on my desire but requires a monster.
  8. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

Just decided I don't like the Xperia S. It's seems to have a band of transparent plexiglass near the bottom.

[​IMG]

Maybe it's appearance in the flesh may be OK but from the image.... Yuk!
  9. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Well-Known Member

I'm not decided on what I think of the see through part, it's not ugly in my eyes, it's just there.

SUroot, why do you run Ubuntu? Is it just because you can or is there a certain reason?
    It does sound interesting to me, I'd try it but I know nothing of that os.
  10. SUroot

I like that about it.
  11. SUroot

Because I can. If it ran better, I would be able to do more with it though.
  12. Flumme

Flumme Well-Known Member

My contract will be up in May, so there's no rush. Don't think I'll be running to the store, when that day comes. I still love the Desire, in most part thanks to dGB, but an upgrade will happen eventually, probably sometime next autumn... Barring the unforseen disaster!

My main worry in this upgrade, is that I want to choose a phone with as positive and flourishing a user community around it as the Desire has. Maybe I have been spoiled rotten by you guys, but it is a real concern for me!
  13. SUroot

Yes me too
  14. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

Quad core & 4.7" screen is certainly that :D

Actually I suspect I'll be skipping this generation (but want to take a good look at that Xperia S anyway).
  15. SUroot

I still dont know what I am doing, it depends on contracts and prices and availability and timing.
  16. Nasalhair

Nasalhair Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for the Xperia S (as far as I understand the clear bit is where the buttons for menu, home etc. appear - I think it looks quite good), the Galaxy S3, or the Endeavour.

Not too fussed about quad core as I use my phone as, well, a phone really, not for playing games, music or videos, so all that power seems a bit pointless to me. The best phone I've ever had was a Sony (yes, even preferred it to my Desire) so I am leaning towards the Xperia, but I'm interested in the others depending on costs. I'm due for an upgrade in April, so we'll see what's around.
  17. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

I have been looking at that quad core phone too, got a bit of time to study it a bit more as my earliest upgrade date is June.
    Just hoping to make as good a choice as i did with the desire.
    The wife is due her phone upgrade first in march, as she only wants a blackberry i prof as there's a free arnova g2 tablet as a free gift (something else for me to experiment with) :D
  18. SUroot

I've got May to go. Not sure when it will release though. I need to know how it is before doing it as the Desire was indeed, a great choice of device.
  19. anoniemouse

Just hope the onboard storage is decent like the 32gb they are talking about
  20. SUroot

HTC have come a long way. Even a couple of GB with mmc would be pretty sufficient... but yeah, the more the merrier
  21. Baz8755

Baz8755 Well-Known Member

I'm looking too.

Problem is that I don't want a phone that's too large, the Desire is just about the right size for me.

I've been looking at Sensation XS but with the all reports of daily crashing and poor battery life I still have not found a worthy replacement. I also happen to like Sense so I'm kinda locked in to HTC.
  22. anoniemouse

Ideal choice would be a Samsung galaxy s2 internals with the htc sensation casing also the sensation audio recording to go with the video camera. Personally i think that would make a near as perfect phone as is possible.
  23. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

I guess whatever comes out, within 6-months there's always something better faster, more.....
    It would be nice if the manufacturers could work on ways to reduce the price of these smart phones though. Back to a 12-month contract being the norm I'm sure we'd all be changing or upgrading more often.
  24. SUroot

The good thing about me liking android is all my market app purchases (or most) will transfer, unlike when I went from Blackberry to android.

24 months seemed long to me, but truthfully, I loved my desire so much that it didn't really matter. I would still be happy using it, but if I dont upgrade, I lose out so come May, I need to have a clear idea of the direction I need to go.

But these long contracts do mean I must get as new a release as possible to keep it currentl for longer. However, I need to know its rootable and has a good development communicty behind it.

I would not be able to take a device with no Custom ROM and give it the first custom ROM. Thats a step up from my skill set right now.