What's a worthy replacement?

1. TV!

TV! Well-Known Member

Tariffs - HTC One X - Mobile Phones Direct

Not too bad at
  2. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Well-Known Member

What is your biggest concern when buying a new phone?
  3. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Whose?
  4. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Well-Known Member

Everbodys
  5. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

Hard to identify a single main concern.

There are minimum specs that have to be met (e.g. storage), and others have to be high enough to give it longevity (I buy offline, so don't want to change too often). Then I have to trust the manufacturer's quality control.

Given those, it's a matter of good dev support plus liking the look and feel (because I will spend a lot of time with it).
  6. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Well-Known Member

For me it's something along the lines of:
    Battery Performance
    Dev Support.

The other stuff like look and feel, well that's something that i can control.
  7. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

You can control what's on the screen - I was thinking of the hardware.
  8. SUroot

How pretty it is
    How pretty it is
    That there is nothing higher spec'd in the same range
    That it's as new as possible

And for my next phone....

Big Screen
    ICS release
    Dual core / quad core
  9. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Well-Known Member

Not much then. ;-D
  10. SUroot

That's how hard beating the desire is ...
  11. JohnnyBravo1000

JohnnyBravo1000 Well-Known Member

I still have my Desire but I'm very interested by the HTC One X. I'm just waiting for several horror stories to emerge and put me off! :D
  12. SUroot

I had a thought last night which completely turned me off.

I'll be rooting and flashing my one x. If the battery cannot.be removed, how does one escape a boot loop?
  13. Jon_LTD

Jon_LTD Well-Known Member

I'm unsure of my next choice as I'm reluctant to spend ~£30/month for a minimum of 18 months for a phone I'm settling on. The Desire was something I researched a heck of a lot and was sure I wanted one and it hasn't disappointed. But saying that, I didn't consider rooting when investing that was a hidden gem which I want to transfer to my next device. Access to the battery will be essential and space for a memory card far preferable.
  14. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Well-Known Member

Oh my..
    You have a excellent point there.
  15. nickabbott

nickabbott Member

Hopefully with one of these miracle button presses that work no matter what state the phone is in! (yeah right!)

Either that or you have to hope that on a boot loop holding down volume (or equivalent) gets you back into boot loader and then back into recovery..... hopefully!!!
  16. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Well-Known Member

Unless it's proven, it's not a risk I'm willing to take.
  17. nashelectronic

nashelectronic New Member

For security and reliability I cant express how perfect the Blackberry is for all communications requirements
  18. SUroot

Except when blackberry did a switch firmware upgrade without fail over, roll back or risk mitigation, leaving the entire world without BES and BIS communication for the best part of a week you mean?

That's REALLY bad IT practice.

Cant argue much about security though.
  19. Nagrom

Nagrom Well-Known Member

I had exactly the same thought. Worried me no end. I assume HTC have thought of this as I would have thought a boot loop is something that even their tech guys would experience.

There must be some way out of a boot loop.

Andy
  20. SUroot

Well my desire specific testing (which obviously doesnt necessarily translate to One X) confirms that the hardware button reset;

• if done during the boot animation, will reboot the device
    • if done in the splash screen, it waits 30 seconds before reboot

With the latter, you can hold back during the wait and get to the boot loader. It may be trickier with the boot animation as its almost instant.

I havent done a logcat whilst testing so I am not sure at what point the splash screen reboot occurs and if its looping, whether that would work at all. I suppose I could force a boot loop this weekend if I had the time but Im not interested in a loop of animation, more a loop at splash. I think I know a way to guarantee the latter, but cannot confirm yet.
  21. Flumme

Flumme Well-Known Member

That was my major reason for bringing up the issue of me really wanting a phone that I can physically remove all the power sources from. Obviously I didn't manage to make myself clear ;-)

To sort some problems you encounter down the rooting/flashing route seem to require not only a battery pull, but for you to leave the battery out for two or three minutes to let any residual charges in the components drain away completely.

That won't be possible using a hardware button reset.

Is this such a problem as I imagine it to be?
  22. Abdur

Abdur Well-Known Member

I would still take the One X. Sounds like a solid phone.

I have done many a battery pull on my desire... and was wondering if there would be a way to simulate that on the One X...

BTW, One X comes with an unlockable bootloader. (tool provided by HTC)
    Also, Sense 4.0 seems WAY less bloated and faster.
    The camera also seems superb. (The Desire's camera was alright, but this camera is slated to be awesome)

1080p video recording at 60 fps. Encoding + decoding.

All in all I like it a lot. 32 GB is way more than enough for me.
  23. SUroot

I've read the reviews of the camera, but I don't believe them. Someone whose name I cannot mention got their hands on a one x and told me they thought the camera was crap. I hold this guy in high esteem so I trust his judgement.
  24. Abdur

Abdur Well-Known Member

Fair enough, my judgement is based on reviews. If you have a better source, I'll trust you lol

Even without the camera it is an amazing phone.
  25. SUroot

I really like the sound of the CPU and the screen. Not sure what ill do now