Whats an app that sends sms with a fake number?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Last Updated: 2011-04-04 11:03:15
  1. ToshibaMan

ToshibaMan Active Member

Maybe its for the iphone but my buddy was sending me weird stuff like "muhamud jihad aderka derka" lol and stuff like that but it was from different numbers

so just wondering if anyone knows about it?

Advertisement
  2. One, that's illegal. Two, I don't think there are any.
  3. nyrockstar

nyrockstar Member

There was one called SMS MAYHEM - and I don't think it's illegal anymore than the caller ID faker is illegal.

It's not longer in the market - and the website isn't updated - - -but if you find the .apk anywhere.. by all means - let me know.
  4. ToshibaMan

ToshibaMan Active Member

there is one... cuz he used it on me just a few days ago haha

why would that be illegal?

and the caller id thing is still there you get 2 free minutes then have to pay for the rest
  5. The caller Id faker apps ARE illegal, and sending a text with a fake number is just as illegal as calling someone with a fake number.
  6. ToshibaMan

ToshibaMan Active Member

why???
  7. Misrepresentation.
    The same reason it's your real face on your ID/passport.
    The same reason the west doesn't want muslimas in burkas in public. You don't know who or what is really hiding behind that veil.
  8. ToshibaMan

ToshibaMan Active Member

ID/Passport is government stuff

this is like private companies lol
  9. So private companies misrepresenting themselves, their products, or their customers is OK?
  10. JHays

JHays New Member

I really don't think its illegal... I have an app called spoofpro and I can change my number, voice, and record it. Its a legit app from a legit company called Itellas. I use it all the time but the difference with the text idea is that the call isn't placed directly from the phone and provider. It is directed thru Itellas and then routed to the person your calling. And the company states that its for novelty use and that any illegal use the company will work with law inforcement and disclose information.
  11. ToshibaMan

ToshibaMan Active Member

i agree! its like a dude dressing up as a chick... totally should be illegal lol

but i dont think it is until some ******ed people abuse it otherwise it wouldnt be on the market i think
  12. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member

I too, do not think it is illegal at all. Are you able to link some legislation that shows this is illegal? No offense, but it sounds like you are of the opinion that it should be illegal and thus are justifying accordingly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_spoofing
    According to the wiki it is only illegal in Australia.
  13. Alkatraz

Alkatraz Member

i think its a state by state thing aka the area code ur phone is attached to but dont quote me on that
  14. lordofthereef

Just thought I would add, there are free SMS services one can sign up for in order to use their data to send the SMS. This also assigns you a number that you can acquire when signing up with fake information if you wanted to. I don't see how that is any different.
  15. weaselaow

weaselaow Well-Known Member

And u must put real name on intenret forum and on MSN becouse your real face is on ID ...:eek::eek:
  16. nyrockstar

nyrockstar Member

17. ToshibaMan

ToshibaMan Active Member

awesome!!! and thats why i coudlnt find any apps... i didnt know the terminology haha
  18. gcobb

gcobb Well-Known Member

I'm not going to say yes or no about this. But when I was looking for way to do this a year or so ago, I read on several spoofing web sites where it IS illegal in the US. I don't know anything other than what I read.

I would pay attention to this part in that article up there ^^^.
    For example, if Caller ID spoofing is uses to deceive or defraud, by posing as a police officer or a bank, then separate crimes have already been committed. This bill would add an additional crime to existing charges where Caller ID spoofing is used.
  19. ToshibaMan

ToshibaMan Active Member

exactly the kinda idiots i was talking about.

and btw... i couldnt find any on fake sms-ing just calling

anyone know of any of those? lol
  20. imjehh

imjehh Well-Known Member

its not illegal, maybe if you send it to a fed. facility in a threatening manner
  21. ToshibaMan

ToshibaMan Active Member

22. It's illegal whoever you do it to. By that thinking, it wouldn't be illegal to kill someone, as long as they arent a cop...

Most called id spoofing apps ARE taken off the market.
  23. nyrockstar

nyrockstar Member

There are many illegal apps in the market (all the music downloading apps for instance) - but the iphone market is a lot tougher.

And bluff my call is in the iphone market -

As it stands now - it's not illegal over a cellphone. And it's only illegal on a landline if the intent is to defraud.

I do think it's a situation where it will probably eventually become illegal - but it isn't as of right now.
  24. lordofthereef

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.