What's debranding? Locked Bootloader..General

Last Updated:

1. rzozaya1969

rzozaya1969 Well-Known Member

What is debranding a phone? I have heared about unrooting an android to flash another ROM, but is this the same as debranding, or what is the difference?

Also, I've read that some XS come with the bootloader locked, and some do not. I'm assuming that mine will come locked (from the phone provider), will that make upgrading to ICS harder even if Sony releases the upgrade?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. wooks63

wooks63 Well-Known Member

I got my phone from T-Mobile and they had branded it - the T-Mobile logo came up when the phone started.

I have now debranded my phone. This allowed me to install the stock Sony firmware without having to wait for T-Mobile to 'mess about with it'! It also meant I could get ICS earlier.

I now have none of the bloatware that T-Mobile put in the firmware. However, my phone is not unrooted, but then as some apps will not install on an unrooted this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Debranding was very easy to do, and, to answer your last question, Sony released ICS months ago!
  3. rzozaya1969

Regarding ICS, it could likely mean that the unit I get will likely have ICS installed? Or is it something I need to download (the upgrade)?
  4. rzozaya1969

What would I need to debrand the phone?
  5. Del1701

Del1701 Well-Known Member