What's in the box? Awww, what's in the boooox?! (2.1)

Last Updated:

1. Hemorrdrhoid

Hemorrdrhoid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Instead of cluttering up the install thread, how about listing the advertised (and unadvertised) 2.1 changes, and your impressions here?

Those of us without PC access right now can live vicariously and also decide what we're most excited about. Thanks!

* Bonus points if you recognize the quote *

Advertisement
  2. superdorf

superdorf Well-Known Member

Seven

3. SoDroid

SoDroid Well-Known Member

Great quote! Only reason I checked out the thread lol.

4. MisterEff

MisterEff Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed at the lack of the 3d app drawer

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

5. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Awesome reference. One of the greatest movies ever. Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman. Kevin Spacey and Gwen Paltrow in her prime... As for 2.1, I have nothing to add.

6. atom631

atom631 Active Member

SE7EN!!!!

Google goggles works suprisingly well

7. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member

Yeah, great movie...only reason I checked the thread. You know, even without PC access, I got the update. Just click the link and download the file, then copy it from your download folder, paste it to your sd card (no folder), and make sure you delete any other update.zip, and then re-boot with 'x' and all that...it worked for me. Live wallpapers suck, slowed down my phone, but the multi-touch in the browser is nice.

8. cheesehead007

cheesehead007 Active Member

If you add a contact shortcut to a home screen, clicking on it has a new result. Instead of bringing up the full screen "contact page" it shows the row of icons (phone, contact page, txt, gmail, maps) without leaving the home screen.

Pardon my inability to describe that better...

superdorf likes this.
  9. cheesehead007

cheesehead007 Active Member

And for those wondering, the browser still can't handle animated GIF images (which most weather sites use for animated radar). Grr.

10. superdorf

superdorf Well-Known Member

The phone screen in call still doesn't do landscape :(

11. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Where in the heck is the 9 screen option reported for the Milestone..I can't even find a reference on the net to see such a setting. Phone is overall faster though...very smooth...plus seems like my WiFi actually works now. The phone is reporting sync problems with facebook??? STILL DON"T SEE PICASSA SYNC!!

update: looks like I read you have to do a hard reset to get picassa sync working. Guess I'll back everything up and do that.

12. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member

I know everyone has their own preference, but I'm actually glad that there aren't more screens; it seems like whenever I'm limited, my screens look better, a little more organized. I'm not trying to say I wouldn't have liked it if they'd offered more, but I'm pretty happy with three.

13. MisterEff

MisterEff Well-Known Member

The milestone could choose to have 3, 5, 7, or 9 screens.

14. cmdrake

cmdrake Member

Facebook: Launch the FB app and login again. Then sync should work again. (at least it did for me)

Picasa: I see my Picasa Web Albums in the Gallery app now. Is that what you're looking for?

15. JnCrWe

JnCrWe New Member

I downloaded update.zip with my phone and used Astro to move it to the root SD card directory. Installed without issue. I'm at work, so I can't mess around with it too much, but here's what I've seen so far...

- the browser scrolls much more smoothly

- pinch-to-zoom works smoothly in Browser, Gallery and Maps

- Live Wallpapers are nice but several are too complex to run smoothly and the ones that do run smoothly sometimes cause excess lag when switching screens

- the new Gallery looks great and seems more responsive than the old one

- the Camera app seems smoother, but then I've been using CameraIllusion a lot lately so maybe that is affecting my perception

I'm still new to the Droid in general, so I likely won't notice as much as some others, but there you have it. :)