Whats it missing?General

Last Updated:

1. secretLOVER

secretLOVER Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there anything another phone has that the Incredible is missing?
    Anything from copy and paste to the missing assigned cam button.

Is it all you hoped for?

I'm forced to deal with my Storm 1 until the 19th (I've tried everything but going into the store) and I know I'll be happier with the DI. I just know theirs going to be some thing(s) I wish it had. I expect that. Anything stand out for you?

Advertisement
  2. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

You can copy and paste from any editable text field.

There is no button to launch the camera, but the optical joystick is used to take pictures.

secretLOVER likes this.
  3. falltime

falltime Well-Known Member

Three things that I can see

1. Option to change lockscreen (only) wallpaper (is on other Sense HTC phones)
    2. ability to use trackball button as on switch (and should be off switch from Home screen - since the button does nothing except in camera mode)
    3. Ability to turn-off or adjust the soft key backlight (ex. when I am watching a video I dont need the backlight wasting batteries and distracting me)

Other than that I say PERFECT - truly incredible

secretLOVER likes this.
  4. secretLOVER

Other than the camera button, I don't know of anything else yet I'm sure their will be something.

Thanks!

I just want to know what to expect.

5. evilotto

evilotto Well-Known Member

the first 2 can be done with the app "lockbot" which is free. as far as the third, i don't think there is anyway to control those lights at all.

6. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

I was looking into getting the Incredible, but have not looked at all the specs...coming from my N900, I'd be looking for the Incredible to be able to continue with:

- Copy/paste text from any app
    - Video calls (Skype/Google Talk/Jabber)
    - FM Transmitter
    - Skype over 3G (looks like no go; Skype integrated into the phone app on N900)
    - Built-in/one-touch connection to PC and file sharing/streaming (via media player and file manager)
    - Full Flash (coming, Adobe conference?)
    - Sling Mobile support (coming to Android before Maemo; summer)
    - TV Out?

I'm sure that there is a ton of stuff the Incredible has where the 900 does not, but these are some features which I find "nice to have" in an all-in-one device.

7. falltime

falltime Well-Known Member

Lockbot is a bit buggy and also it not only makes the trackball an on switch - it makes the vol keys an on switch - which results in many more 'screen on' events (battery killing) both intentional and unitnetionally - also it puts the screen in some sort of 'state' that effects the refreshing of certain widgets like the Google News and Weather widget.

Long and short - these options should be native in Android 2.1 - but again hardly major.

8. BetterMost

BetterMost Banned

The only improvement that would be nice is an optical track pad like the blackberry's have. Its a bit larger and slightly raised and instead of a tiny button the whole track pad depresses to click the camera.

9. jonhammond52

jonhammond52 Banned

How about the light sensor detecting sunlight and adjusting the brightness? If you have to manually turn the brightness up each time you walk outside im returning the phone. Anyone know if this is a fixable bug or is it hardware limitations

10. deadsix

deadsix Member

I believe it has an ambient light sensor....

11. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

There is a limit to what an AMOLED display can do in terms of brightness, but it sounds like this isn't your concern.

There is a light sensor onboard, and if you can manually adjust the brightness to what you need, then the phone has the capability and a change can be made to the software - but there would need to either be a consensus on how bright the display should be in relation to ambient light, or a way to customize.

I assume you've tried the automatic brightness setting and found it to be insufficent?

12. curtisdr

curtisdr Well-Known Member

It's a great phone, but it's not all I was hoping for.

Coming from a BlackBerry, it's missing several things. I'm sure you're already aware of the absence of Bluetooth dialing. I miss being able to have my phone be off, but still turn on by itself for the alarm. My BB handled my hotmail account much better. There doesn't appear to be copy and paste from inside the gmail app. I agree that the optical trackball on the dinc is mostly useless and should be more like the BB.

13. Logic

Logic Banned

One function I really liked on my LG Dare that the incredible doesn't seem to have is ignore call with text. Basically when someone called me on my LG Dare and I couldn't pick up I would hit ignore on the phone, then a prompt would come up asking me if I wanted to send a quick text to that person, I was able to choose from a list of presaved text messages. It was a pretty nice feature when someone called while I was in a meeting.

14. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

I don't know of any other android phone that can be unlocked or woken up by the trackball/joystick. You can after you root the device, but thats the only exception i know of. On the eris you had to press the call button to wake it up. You can however press menu instead of swiping to unlock the phone.

15. g1701gst

g1701gst Well-Known Member

@ logic. The DI has this feature.

When you have an incoming call just hit the menu button and select send message. Also somewhere you can set the the default msg it responds with.

16. Logic

Logic Banned

Just tried this, and it works. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

If anyone knows and can save me a little time, let me know how to change the default message. If not I will look for it later and post it if I find it.

17. melophat

melophat Well-Known Member

so far, only thing that i've wanted and wasn't there was the ability to copy text from a gtalk or sms message and paste it into another message.. can't figure out how to do this

18. krispy_mobile

krispy_mobile Well-Known Member

So far I'm happy with the purchase, and some of these are no doubt issues with Android, not just the HTC I, but would like:

1) Usable LED notification. My blackberry bold LED was bright enough to see easily, could change colors and blink rate with app that could assign different colors based on missed call, voicemail waiting, sms, email, etc.

2) Re-occurring vibrate until unread text/voicemail/email has been checked.

3) Better integration of Landscape mode (from home screens to apps). Seems a bit like a "tacked-on" feature to me.

4) Some way to see number of unread email for multiple gmail accounts.

5) A music player that has a) a slider or some way to use touch to forward, rewind within a track, and b) a graphic equalizer.

Let me know if anyone has answers/apps/alternatives that might help with these. Regardless, this phone blows my old BB bold out of the water.

19. cryptiq

cryptiq Well-Known Member

Skype - I'm a little confused on this one too. I thought it was supposed to use 3G and not permit WiFi calls...however when calling/receiving from Skype, the calls take place using what appears to be a normal phone call. On a side note, Fring appears to work with both 3G/WiFi as a workaround.

TV Out - I think you'll need a proprietary cable for this but the phone does appear to have a TV Out...at least it has TV Out configurable in the settings menu.

20. pirate943

pirate943 Well-Known Member

i wish it had spell check (seriously, why does this not have a SP?????), directional arrows on the keyboard and an easy way to share the internet connection with a pc and mac (i get the run around with drivers that cant be found, and 3rd party apps require software to be installed on the computer...)

21. booser4

booser4 Well-Known Member

Text Messages - When phone is off or in airplane mode any text message you receive while its off will come through when its turned back on, but doesn't show you when the text was sent to you by the sender. Only shows that it was received at the time right when you turned the phone on.

22. dazeek

dazeek Member

So far I am very happy with my phone (coming from a dare it's quite a change). The only complaint I have is that the vibration is not at all strong enough. I used handcent to at least make it longer but longer isn't stronger. I work with the public and cant have my ringer on and quite often don't feel the phone vibrate at all for calls or messages.

23. Yaksha

Yaksha Well-Known Member

Just so you know, my 2 year deal wasn't up for another 4 months, but I went into a brick and mortar store and I was able to upgrade for an additional $20. It was $300 for the phone, $20 for the early upgrade fee, and a $100 mail in rebate. Well worth it versus waiting another 4 months.

24. secretLOVER

WTF!? You have to keep it on for the alarm to go off?:mad:

I'm waiting to ANNUAL upgrade. Has to be at Verizon.

Thanks everyone.