• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Whats Situation of the GPS right now.

big_mike

Android Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2010
Worcester, UK
Right long story short, i had the SGS and the gps wasn't working 100% so i got rid and now have a DHD.

My brother loved my SGS LOTS so much so hes going to get one.
He isnt worried about any aspect of the SGS at all aart from the GPS, so then what the score on it now.

is it working or not? if not can it be fixed he's open to rom's and to rooting.

many thanks
mike

Touchy subject :p
personally I have no trouble with my gps, I updated to 2.2.1 and it gets a fix within seconds and works perfectly the whole time I use it.
I don't know about other people though.

mysgs is as it came from the factory and its google maps is piss poor had an urgent appiontment at hospital on saturday and it took me all over kept losing me on the motorway!
so my question is whats the best sat nav for the galaxys (wish i never traded the nokia n8 now :-(

Upvote 0
It would appear to be a pot luck thing, handset dependant. some people are lucky, others not so lucky.
Personally it works fine for me, wasn't that bad in the first place and since 2.2.1 has improved greatly. I do alot of driving for my job ( few hundred miles a week+ ) and I use it every day and it hasn't once gotten me lost or taken me to the wrong place.
My friend also has an SGS and he has no problems with it, we both have the international unbranded version but I doubt that will make any difference.

Upvote 0
Ditto. There is no sky hook on my SGS so the supposed fix cannot even apply. Here are couple more things I noticed:

- GPS was better in 2.1, is not working in 2.2 at all (JPE). I can find the satellites but it does not lock in on them. I use an app called "GPS Test" by Chartcross.
- the only way to get it to work better is to turn on data or wifi. Its not always guaranteed but without data or wifi, the success rate is 0%. With data or wifi, it able to lock in around 50% of the time but still needs ~1minute to do so when it is able to do so.

waiting for a real fix....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones