Whats so good about rooting?

Last Updated:

1. kilogramz718

kilogramz718 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Im new to the forums and wanted to know what is good about rooting i have a htc evo 4g is it like jailbreaking the iphone?

Advertisement
  2. kilogramz718

kilogramz718 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

is it worth the voided warranty?

3. baillou2

baillou2 Well-Known Member

YES!

It all depends. My phone would have been crap without all the tweaks I've been able to make by rooting. Maybe eventually the Android OS will be refined enough to make rooting unecessary, but for now it kind of is.

4. Benjie

Benjie Well-Known Member

I think it is, if for no other reason than tethering. If you have a device that is supported by Z4, then rooting is really quick and easy. My Evo is rooted and is once a week or so used with Wireless Teething. I also have Titanium Pro installed for backups and things like that and a couple of other useless applications.

5. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

You can always unroot as well, and they'd never know the difference.

6. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Well-Known Member

Exactly.

I think it is definitely worth it, but it depends on you (OP).

7. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

Root, you won't be sorry;) Do your homework though:)

8. cr0wnest

cr0wnest Well-Known Member

I took a leap of faith to root, then flashed over CM6.1. Never looked back. You get to run a ton of new apps taht require root access, and thats always a plus isnt it? ;)

9. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member

I am at a point where I can look at my phone and don't even remember what I got from rooting and what came stock. There are enough apps in the market that say "REQUIRES ROOT" these days that I am happy that I have virtually opened anything and everything up to being usable on my phone.

10. Benjie

Benjie Well-Known Member

I use my devices in a "work" environment and any chance of bricking the device causes me to think really hard about doing something. I decided to root, read and did it. I read and then proceeded without any references at hand and had a problem. Got the notes out, followed the notes and gosh, it worked just fine. I then played, that is, removed a Sprint application or 2 and that worked. When the OTA came out, I found that because I had changed the contents of the ROM, the OTA would not work. That meant backing down to the original ROM, doing the OTA and then rutting again.

The evening my son's LG Optimutt S arrived, he played and I read. The next afternoon I rooted it with Z4 and wow, it worked fine. I have since added a number of utilities to his device. He came from a TP2 and has been happy with the change, though his chief complaint is the keyboard. Swype is now his 2nd best friend.