What's the Battery life?General

Last Updated:

1. inspiron41

inspiron41 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What's the battery life like on HTC G2? with heavy use? light uses? standby?

i would like to get this android phone for my girlfriend, but i'm worried it'll die out on her and she sometimes work 12-15 hour shift. and being this will be her first smartphone, i want to give her a good impression on the android experience. because no way in hell i'm going to switch back to ATT and the iphone.....

Advertisement
  2. WarBird87

WarBird87 Well-Known Member

my battery life has been back and forth... i have had it last 12 hours with heavy use and i have had it last 18 hours with light use... and then i have had it last 5 hours with heavy use...

3. blkidea

blkidea Active Member

I lasted me 12 hours with medium use. But it does seem to fluctuate. I think the battery life is really good though.

4. SUPERGALAXYS

SUPERGALAXYS Well-Known Member

been using mine for about 3 days now.. averaging 8hrs of moderate to heavy use ( mainly alot of web surfing and texting ) before i see the yellow light in the battery indicator..

5. zuludelta9

zuludelta9 Member

I drained the battery to 0 out of the box. Charged it to full, so today's my first day of full use.. Lasted about 16 hours, medium use (with twitter on, facebook on). during lunch I was playing some Doodle Jump, on GTalk.

Oh I also have Wifi and Bluetooth on all the time as well. Wifi because I don't get service at work (I'm used to UMA... soon enough!) and Bluetooth just because I'm lazy to turn on and off every time I get into the car.

6. SDscorch

SDscorch Well-Known Member

mm... i was in the t-mo store today checking out the g2

started at 47% and by the time i was finished with it (it was a new store - not much foot traffic - i was the only one there so i could play w/ it to my heart's content!) - when i was done, it was around 12% - no kidding

wifi on, gps on, surfing the internet, playing w/ voice search, running live wallpapers - pretty much taxing it as much as possible

and it showed! haha!

7. justme8800

justme8800 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've found that it lasts pretty much as long as you make it last. You can turn up the brightness all the way, turn on live wallpapers, turn on wifi, HSPA+, bluetooth, auto-sync, GPS, and then run google earth, and the phone would probably not last much longer than a couple hours. Conversely, if you dim down the brightness and turn off all the features except the ones you're using, you can get the battery life to extend for what I bet would be days. This past week, I've been attentive to my power usage in the mornings, but by evening I find myself with like 80% battery left, so I crank everything up and power binge for the last couple hours before I get home. I'm still at 28%. Yesterday I was still at over 50%, despite watching myself walk home on google earth via GPS. XD

The G2 is quite power efficient when you use it as such, but it's not afraid to go nuts if you need it to. I sort of like turning everything up to max, though, so I might spring for a spare battery to stick in my pack if the opportunity presents itself.

8. Einherjared

Einherjared Member

Mine has been eating up the battery like a fat kid eats cake. I've been doing light use (no videos, limited internet), and trying to moderate/turn off power draining options and apps like wi-fi , radios, etc, when not in use and I'm going from 100% to almost 0% in 3 hours or less.

Maybe I have a bad battery or a bad phone, but if this is the kind of usage I can expect I'm getting my Blackberry back,. I'm not happy about this at all .

9. ciscokid86

ciscokid86 New Member

i need to find an extended battery pack

10. BBOOZE

BBOOZE Well-Known Member

I came from an iPhone 4 and I would say the battery life is comparable to maybe a bit better than the iPhone. I charge it every night and it needs a charge by the time I get home late at night. And I've been playing around on it a lot since I've gotten it.

11. LCW

LCW Well-Known Member

seriously? i have an iP4 and considering the G2 especially with the new OTA that re-enables wifi tethering (prior to this, I had dismissed the G2... I need tethering, and my iP4 is jailbroken... but that's a pain... can never update to the newest F/W until new jailbreak comes out... So if G2 now can do native wifi tethering without rooting, i'm all for that... my last point of reluctance is battery life... well, I guess the hinge too I guess (loose hinge reports)... otherwise, i'd like to ditch At&t...

12. BBOOZE

BBOOZE Well-Known Member

Honestly I think the two are comparable in terms of battery usage. That's good or bad depending on how you look at it. Too often on the iPhone 4 I would be browsing around or using some apps an would literally watch my battery percentage fall as I was using them. In my heaviest days of using the G2 I haven't run out of the battery until the evening (uplug from charger at 5am...earliest "need" was something like 6pm) but typically I can make it the entire day no problem, as I was generally able to with the iPhone as well.

So frankly, I think it's a wash from my experience.