• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

whats the best app for free tv and movies?

Yep, I'd vote for iPlayer too - not the app, but the website. I use Miren browser and if I set the UA to mimic the Chrome desktop browser, the iPlayer website thinks it's connecting to a desktop computer (rather than a mobile device) and I can sign in to the full-fat iPlayer, see my favourites and do everything that I can on my main computer.

Upvote 0
Yep, I'd vote for iPlayer too - not the app, but the website. I use Miren browser and if I set the UA to mimic the Chrome desktop browser, the iPlayer website thinks it's connecting to a desktop computer (rather than a mobile device) and I can sign in to the full-fat iPlayer, see my favourites and do everything that I can on my main computer.

Can you explain exactly how you do this? I hate that you can only access iPlayer via wi-fi.

Upvote 0
Please share how!

If I switch to Chrome UA everything goes Chinese and iPlayer site only has Radio 1 content

You can do it with the stock browser too - menu > more > settings > untick mobile view.
Restart browser, done.

You should have the full web version of every site now.
You should also be able to stream over the cell network now too. But bear in mind that a 1 hour long programme from iplayer comes to approx 500MB.
I think cell streaming depends on how busy the network is, & only on 3G/H.

There is an iplayer app, or you can just use the website.
Tvcatchup's good (website, no app)
There are loads more, have a rummage in the market.

For video stored on your phone, rockplayer app or vplayer app

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones