• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's the Best App Lock App?

Roze

Hiding behind a mystery
Jan 20, 2010
Where the Sakura grows
I'm looking into an app that enables passwords on apps that I don't want people to access like Market or Email. I found a few on the market with good reviews and I'm going to test them but I want to hear if any of you here have used one or a couple of these apps or something else altogether to password protect your app? :) I'm sorry for the title being confusing but I don't know how to make it so that it's simple and clear,

There's App Lock
Description
Essential app for all android users. Password protect your phone's personal data
++++AppLock is one of the best among similar lock apps, simple and intuitive UI, tons of features, smallest app size, least battery usage, best performance++++
==You can turn off the notification icon in AppLock's setting menu, make sure you read the warning message first==
An essential app for every android user. Password protect any personal data on your phone.
AppLock lets you protect any applications you want with a passcode: SMS, Email, Pictures, Calendar...any apps you choose
This is similar to apps like Smart App Protector, App Protect, lock safe, applocker, image vault, photo lock, norton anti-virus, Privacy lock, App Security, zDBox etc, etc. Except that it's ABSOLUTELY FREE (ad supported).
This is the top App Protection app on the android market, with millions of users. It includes advanced features such as lock delay, location exclusion, app search, better UIs and different customization options.
A pro unlock key that remove ads and unlocks more features is on the market now
==ALL pro only functions in app available to everyone, enjoy! Give the app a good rating if you like it or use it everyday.==

=====App permissions informatons======
"Your location" - needed for location exclusion feature
"Internet Access" - for ads
"Read log" - for monitor running apps
"System tools" - for brightness lock setting
"Place calls" - for incoming/outgoing call locks

smart App Protector (app lock)
Protect your installed applications using a password or pattern!
*** Changed the number of applications that can lock(5 -> unlimited) :) ***
---------------------------
Smart App Protector will protect your installed applications using a password or pattern!
It can also prevent your screen from turning off, and prevent it from auto-rotating when selected apps are open!
1) All Features

Reactions: alostpacket
I use Applock. For the most part, I like it. It can be kinda slow when unlock apps and such, but it does the job. (I had the kids try to unlock my apps.) Cool thing is, You can turn it on and off with a widget. Its very simple to use.

Could you please explain further to what you meant by slow? That doesn't sound good as we both have the same phone. Another question is that when you force close the app, does it kill the password protection of the other apps?

so, I downloaded the App Lock and its add on called Al-helper. Al-helper stops the app from being killed. This is one of my concern for these kind of apps. I can see what you meant by the apps being a bit slow after you enter the password.

Upvote 0
I use App Protector Pro and it works really well. No issues what so ever.

I also recently found Visidon Applock which I am playing around with. It uses facial recognition to unlock your apps. I'm pretty impressed so far. Of course a front facing camera is required.

Any lag to unlock an app with App Protector?

How responsive is SEAL? Is it as good as Google facial unlock?

Upvote 0
Could you please explain further to what you meant by slow? That doesn't sound good as we both have the same phone. Another question is that when you force close the app, does it kill the password protection of the other apps?

so, I downloaded the App Lock and its add on called Al-helper. Al-helper stops the app from being killed. This is one of my concern for these kind of apps. I can see what you meant by the apps being a bit slow after you enter the password.

For me, I don't have it enabled. I only use it when I let my kids or others use my phone. (Which isn't very often.) I've made sure that the app isn't in the stock Task Manager. So it won't be killed. You answered your other question.

Upvote 0
Wao, I didn't know applications like this existed. Thanks, I have all my room mates testing stuff on my phones and tablet all the time, maybe I can stop them like this. And that goes without saying they have their own devices.

That is because you have a tablet that we don't and you underuse your devices anyways. Plus, all you have to do if it bothers you so much is tell us you don't like it and that's that. Not post it in a forum you KNOW we ALL check on a daily basis. shisshhh

Yeah Elena, what Hernan says is true, plus, if you don't trust us you can just pin lock your screen, right? But don't worry, now we know.

BTW, Visidon is amazing on my Atrix.
HAHA you guys and gals are so cute and funny. I can't believe you got a housemates debate on a public forum!

Reactions: ViZuNaRy
Upvote 0
Any lag to unlock an app with App Protector?

How responsive is SEAL? Is it as good as Google facial unlock?

I've never seen any lag on App Protector at all. Visdon has had zero lag as well. I'm actually growing pretty fond of it.

Wao, I didn't know applications like this existed. Thanks, I have all my room mates testing stuff on my phones and tablet all the time, maybe I can stop them like this. And that goes without saying they have their own devices.

That is because you have a tablet that we don't and you underuse your devices anyways. Plus, all you have to do if it bothers you so much is tell us you don't like it and that's that. Not post it in a forum you KNOW we ALL check on a daily basis. shisshhh

Yeah Elena, what Hernan says is true, plus, if you don't trust us you can just pin lock your screen, right? But don't worry, now we know.

BTW, Visidon is amazing on my Atrix.

LOL That is hilarious. I'm picturing the 3 of you in the same room all talking to each other on this forum. :D

Upvote 0
I'm looking for an app locker. I've been reading and researching and getting frustrated.
The dev NEVER gives enough info. Most of the reviews just say "cool" "please fix this" etc.

3 or 4 actually say they do have an email backup if you forget password.

A lot say themes. I don't want a theme. Same goes for widgets. But then there will be the statement about the app being totally configurable. Does that mean you don't have to use the theme or widget? I don't want to lock the screen, just a few apps. I also want a password instead of a pattern. And I like my own photos of Red Rock Country.

I'm not trying to put down anyone - but visit the developer's webpage will often result in one in an Asian language, which is no help. Some of the language about the app will make no sense. Videos don't help either. A lot just show the "cool" things.

I've also seen comments that the app doesn't work on a Samsung. I have a Samsung and have had strange problems with a few apps.

I don't mind paying for an app, and prefer to pay for it if it does what I want.

Upvote 0
I'm looking for an app locker. I've been reading and researching and getting frustrated.
The dev NEVER gives enough info. Most of the reviews just say "cool" "please fix this" etc.

3 or 4 actually say they do have an email backup if you forget password.

A lot say themes. I don't want a theme. Same goes for widgets. But then there will be the statement about the app being totally configurable. Does that mean you don't have to use the theme or widget? I don't want to lock the screen, just a few apps. I also want a password instead of a pattern. And I like my own photos of Red Rock Country.

I'm not trying to put down anyone - but visit the developer's webpage will often result in one in an Asian language, which is no help. Some of the language about the app will make no sense. Videos don't help either. A lot just show the "cool" things.

I've also seen comments that the app doesn't work on a Samsung. I have a Samsung and have had strange problems with a few apps.

I don't mind paying for an app, and prefer to pay for it if it does what I want.

Have you tried all the apps discussed here? if not, try them out and see which one works best for you. One of the downsides to android is that not all apps will work the way it should on all phones. We have given a lot of good suggestions here. Just try them out.

Upvote 0
I had to install App Locker as it was affecting my battery life :( I had most of my personal apps locked and I would use them often. As I went between them, I was required to put a password in. I had set it up so that if I don't come back to the app in 2 minutes, I want it to lock up. This feature didn't really work for me as I would come back to the app a minute later and I was required to enter the password.

@Zuben the ones I posted in my OP had some detailed reviews on the market and most of the developers' websites were in English.

Customize as in what type of app you want password protected, how long does the app have to be inactive for the password to be re-enabled (when you are multi tasking). Do you want to have the app so that it can not be killed etc.

Upvote 0
I had to install App Locker as it was affecting my battery life :( I had most of my personal apps locked and I would use them often. As I went between them, I was required to put a password in. I had set it up so that if I don't come back to the app in 2 minutes, I want it to lock up. This feature didn't really work for me as I would come back to the app a minute later and I was required to enter the password.

@Zuben the ones I posted in my OP had some detailed reviews on the market and most of the developers' websites were in English.

Customize as in what type of app you want password protected, how long does the app have to be inactive for the password to be re-enabled (when you are multi tasking). Do you want to have the app so that it can not be killed etc.

I can see where this would be a problem. For me, I use "AppLock" and I only have it activated when some else is using my phone, my kinds and others, which isn't that often. Other than that, the app lock is off and I use my passcode pin for locking and unlocking my phone. To be honest, if you don't let others use your phone and you have the passcode security lock enabled, you don't need an app lock.

Upvote 0
I did read the reviews. I can't tell from the screen shots whether or not the app is using a theme. The blurb doesn't say.

I do have a few apps that are nice to share. Audubon's Birds, Trees, Wildflowers and various astronomy apps.

I'd just like to hide the personal ones that show your email address and other stuff like settings. I can pinlock some.

I don't want a theme or widget. A lot of the apps are not specific. This is my one area of vanity. I want my own photos for wallpaper.

Upvote 0
I did read the reviews. I can't tell from the screen shots whether or not the app is using a theme. The blurb doesn't say.

I do have a few apps that are nice to share. Audubon's Birds, Trees, Wildflowers and various astronomy apps.

I'd just like to hide the personal ones that show your email address and other stuff like settings. I can pinlock some.

I don't want a theme or widget. A lot of the apps are not specific. This is my one area of vanity. I want my own photos for wallpaper.
I don't pay much attention to themes. Applocker has the ability to set your background with the current wallpaper you are using. That's what I did.

@itsallgood I was mostly in the testing phase, so I locked as many apps as possible.

Upvote 0
Just searching around looking for a good app lock application and found this old thread so thought I would bring it back from the dead to get peoples opinions.

I was using the one called 'App Lock', which I really liked, but I found that it severely drained my battery in standby mode by causing loads of wake locks. One night I had 101435 wakelocks caused by this app alone.

Are there any of these apps that don't cause a huge amount of wakelocks, or is there a way to stop the wakelocks?

Upvote 0
John P;[URL="tel:5002693" said:
5002693[/URL]]Just searching around looking for a good app lock application and found this old thread so thought I would bring it back from the dead to get peoples opinions.

I was using the one called 'App Lock', which I really liked, but I found that it severely drained my battery in standby mode by causing loads of wake locks. One night I had 101435 wakelocks caused by this app alone.

Are there any of these apps that don't cause a huge amount of wakelocks, or is there a way to stop the wakelocks?

I am using "Super AppLock" now and it is smooth and fast. (Compared to AppLock that I was using when this thread was created. Since I don't have my AppLock on all the time, I can't say how it is on the battery in standby mode. What are wakelocks and how can you tells how many? Thanks

Reactions: John P
Upvote 0
I am using "Super AppLock" now and it is smooth and fast. (Compared to AppLock that I was using when this thread was created. Since I don't have my AppLock on all the time, I can't say how it is on the battery in standby mode. What are wakelocks and how can you tells how many? Thanks

Wakelock basically means something is waking your device up when its in standby mode and it should be sleeping, wakelocks hold the phone awake, therefor draining battery.
You can find out details about wakelocks on your phone using an app called Better Battery Stats, its available in the app store, or for free if you are a member on xda forum [APP] [08 Sept. - V1.10.5] BetterBatteryStats adds battery history back to Android - xda-developers or GSam Battery Monitor, free in the store.

Reactions: itsallgood
Upvote 0
My battery was getting drained at a crazy rhythm and when I installed Better Battery Stats to figure out what exactly was going on I found that Perfect App Protector was the culprit. I uninstalled the app and the battery consumption is back to normal. Might have been a glitch related to my phone and config but I definitely advise anyone that uses that app to check exactly how much battery it's eating.

Upvote 0
I can see where this would be a problem. For me, I use "AppLock" and I only have it activated when some else is using my phone, my kinds and others, which isn't that often. Other than that, the app lock is off and I use my passcode pin for locking and unlocking my phone. To be honest, if you don't let others use your phone and you have the passcode security lock enabled, you don't need an app lock.

I don't agree with the last comment. If someone takes your phone during a period when you're using it then, without an app lock, they can read your private apps (messages, email etc). That's the whole purpose of using an app lock.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones