• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Whats the best battery life you've had?

mti22

Sep 30, 2010
Alright this thread is to talk about what kind of battery your getting with what kind of ROMS and KERNELS.

This shot is from Baked Snack 1.8 Kernel#6 with Low Rider theme with pretty little to medium use

Reason for this thread is to share what ROMS you've gotten best battery life from, cuz I'm trying to venture out and try some different ones with the best life.

stock rom 3.29 w/ 4.1.9.1 netarchy kernel (HAVS).

I use about 30% battery per day. usage of the phone is minimal: ~1hour on the phone a day on average. checking 1 exchange inbox and 1 gmail inbox throughout the day (about 100 emails total). Light web browsing: Google Maps traffic check in the morning and evening. Local weather forecast, random surfing, etc. A couple text messages. stock mp3 player usage about an hour a day.

I lose about 1% of battery life every 3 hours when the screen is off. I connect to my home wifi when i come home from work. I have an airave. 3G signal at work is strong.

setCPU is set to conservative governor and range of 245 - 998. I have 2 profiles: 1)throttle down when temp > 46 degrees C; 2) screen off 245-245.

Upvote 0
Alright this thread is to talk about what kind of battery your getting with what kind of ROMS and KERNELS.

This shot is from Baked Snack 1.8 Kernel#6 with Low Rider theme with pretty little to medium use

Reason for this thread is to share what ROMS you've gotten best battery life from, cuz I'm trying to venture out and try some different ones with the best life.
Just curious, what theme are you using if any? I'm liking the battery, GPS, and Wifi icons.

Upvote 0
stock rom 3.29 w/ 4.1.9.1 netarchy kernel (HAVS).

I use about 30% battery per day. usage of the phone is minimal: ~1hour on the phone a day on average. checking 1 exchange inbox and 1 gmail inbox throughout the day (about 100 emails total). Light web browsing: Google Maps traffic check in the morning and evening. Local weather forecast, random surfing, etc. A couple text messages. stock mp3 player usage about an hour a day.

I lose about 1% of battery life every 3 hours when the screen is off. I connect to my home wifi when i come home from work. I have an airave. 3G signal at work is strong.

setCPU is set to conservative governor and range of 245 - 998. I have 2 profiles: 1)throttle down when temp > 46 degrees C; 2) screen off 245-245.

How the hell are you getting that good of battery life? I recently rooted and I think my battery life has gone to hell but it was never that good. Your usage is almost identical to mine and if I don't charge by the time I'm off work at 5pm I'm down to about 20-30 %.

I've tried underclocking to no avail. It sucks I can't get through a normal day without charging.

Upvote 0
How the hell are you getting that good of battery life? I recently rooted and I think my battery life has gone to hell but it was never that good. Your usage is almost identical to mine and if I don't charge by the time I'm off work at 5pm I'm down to about 20-30 %.

I've tried underclocking to no avail. It sucks I can't get through a normal day without charging.

I spent some time optimizing the battery life before I rooted (in June). Back then, it was pretty much just googling battery saving tips for the evo and trying them all. I was able to get my battery drain down to about 2% an hour with the screen off (overnight loss of about 15-20%). Connecting to my home wifi instead of using 3G was a big help.

Then I rooted (July). With setCPU, I got the overnight drain to about 5-10%. Then Froyo came out and shit hit the fan. After I upgraded, my battery life was horrendous (drains in less than a waking day). After rechecking all my settings and apps, I finally caved and did a hard reset. Then I manually installed all my apps and manually set all my settings. That did the trick. battery life was back to 5-10% drain overnight.

Then the HAVS kernels came out. HAVS significantly improved the battery life of the phone while it was in use. So with HAVS covering usage, and setCPU covering screen-off, battery life has been very good.

A few things to note: playing mp3s from your SD card takes almost no battery at all. Pandora is totally different, since it requires the music to be streamed, which means radio use, which drains battery.

Wifi saves a lot more battery than cell tower signals. If you have wifi at home, make sure your phone auto-switches to it when you're in range.

The only things I have syncing automatically are my exchange inbox, gmail inbox, and a weather widget.

I have an app called System Panel (I have the paid version) that shows me the history of CPU and battery usage. It gives me a list of which apps used the most CPU in a given timeframe. It also shows me the real-time CPU usage of apps (standard in the free version as well). I know there's a lot of battery management apps out there, but I think System Panel is by far the best.

Upvote 0
17 hours...didn't really try anything special that hasn't been mentioned. as I have said before...it depends on network coverage and what you use. on a day out at the state fair my battery completely drained in less than 5 hours. I was trying to keep up with football scores and the Texas Rangers (HELLO WORLD SERIES!) and the lack of network coverage absolutely killed the battery. I haven't tried an extended test such as what ed12 did. i do plan on purchasing a backup battery or charger like the one on amazon for extended periods away from home like that day at the fair.

Upvote 0
I got 7 days of battery life with a custom ROM and setcpu:
Ed's Android Apps: 7 days battery potential

I'd argue the "minimal usage" as described in that link is flawed. I define minimum usage as using as little battery as possible with the phone on. And the easiest way to do this is to set the phone on airplane mode (all radios off) and leave the screen off.

Everyone should be able to get 7+ days with this setup with setCPU set to 245mhz screen off. And the point here isn't to brag about battery life. It's to see how long the battery can last with "minimal usage" to set a baseline. I'd be curious what the minimal usage baseline is for a pure-stock phone. I'd imagine it would be around 4-5days.

Upvote 0
Well I can say now that I am a believer in the Magic of the External Charger. I finally got my charger and 2 batteries from ebay (via China). After fully charging the battery, I popped it in and noticed that I didn't get my customary drop to 98-96% in minutes. In fact, 30 mins and 2 brief phone calls later I was still at a solid 100%. I don't have any solid full day stats because I plugged in several times for other reasons but I have noticed a marked improvement in overall battery life with the external charger. Someone on here told me I would but I don't remember who.

Here's to you, external battery recommender guy!

Upvote 0
I spent some time optimizing the battery life before I rooted (in June). Back then, it was pretty much just googling battery saving tips for the evo and trying them all. I was able to get my battery drain down to about 2% an hour with the screen off (overnight loss of about 15-20%). Connecting to my home wifi instead of using 3G was a big help.

Then I rooted (July). With setCPU, I got the overnight drain to about 5-10%. Then Froyo came out and shit hit the fan. After I upgraded, my battery life was horrendous (drains in less than a waking day). After rechecking all my settings and apps, I finally caved and did a hard reset. Then I manually installed all my apps and manually set all my settings. That did the trick. battery life was back to 5-10% drain overnight.

Then the HAVS kernels came out. HAVS significantly improved the battery life of the phone while it was in use. So with HAVS covering usage, and setCPU covering screen-off, battery life has been very good.

A few things to note: playing mp3s from your SD card takes almost no battery at all. Pandora is totally different, since it requires the music to be streamed, which means radio use, which drains battery.

Wifi saves a lot more battery than cell tower signals. If you have wifi at home, make sure your phone auto-switches to it when you're in range.

The only things I have syncing automatically are my exchange inbox, gmail inbox, and a weather widget.

I have an app called System Panel (I have the paid version) that shows me the history of CPU and battery usage. It gives me a list of which apps used the most CPU in a given timeframe. It also shows me the real-time CPU usage of apps (standard in the free version as well). I know there's a lot of battery management apps out there, but I think System Panel is by far the best.

Thanks for the info, I'll try what you did with that kernel and see if that helps.

Upvote 0
Here is today...7:57am 100% to 3:15pm just hit 79%

snap20101025_152418.png

Upvote 0
is this with baked? what kernal? I am currently running fresh and did not see a improvement in batt life :(

also can anyone point me into a good direction on how to flash a new kernel? i read about havs and would like to flash that one,

my main goal is the best battery life i can get

Follow the same steps as flashing a ROM. Be sure you create a backup and wipe you cache/dalvik cache.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones