What's the best Browser OS for the DX?Support

Last Updated:

1. Xeneize480

Xeneize480 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The one that came with the phone or should I donwload a different one from the market?

What do you think?

Advertisement
  2. Kevmueller

Kevmueller Well-Known Member

It really depends what you want from your browser. I downloaded Xscope and actually got the paid version, but never use it. I also had skyfire, but also uninstalled it because I never used it. For me I like having flash on my browser and the bookmarks management, zooming and settings are what I need. I don't use anything else and have no problems for what I want to be able to do since the upgrade to 2.2. If there is something you don't like there may be something out there, however you may lose something you do like.

My advise would be if the browser is doing everything you need, you will not find a better one. If it is not doing what you need it to, there will be one out there that is better.

3. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

I prefer xScope to the stock browser, better screen real estate management, I like the button layout, and there are some nice little features in it (not to mention the ability to open more tabs).

My advice: just try several of them. As evidenced by the wide variety of browsers, everyone likes different things. Dolphin HD, for instance, is very popular with a ton of plugins and gestures and slide-out toolbars and everything but the kitchen sink. I hate it, but that's because I don't use most of its features so it was just bloated for what I wanted. Just a personal preference.

Opera is super fast but I didn't like that it's limited to just a couple zoom levels.

Try out Dolphin HD, Skyfire, xScope and Opera. You'll like one of them.

4. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Dolphin for me.

5. Xeneize480

Xeneize480 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Cool, thankx guys!

6. eraursls1984

eraursls1984 Well-Known Member

I like dolphin bd the best, but you should try xscope and opera out also to see what's best for you.

7. upe

upe Member

I use Dolphin HD and really like the feature that zooms in and formats all the text to fit your screen when you double tap. It prevents you from having to scroll left to right as you read down a page. I'm not sure which other browsers have this feature...

8. ekyle

ekyle Well-Known Member

I just use stock

9. binary visions

All of 'em.

At least, I think Skyfire does, but I know xScope and Opera both do.

10. Diz

Diz Well-Known Member

xScope all day.

11. Dabitz

Dabitz Well-Known Member

I vote Dolphin HD, they just released the new version to the Market. You can now have bookmark folders. Tried them all, but I stuck with Dolphin.

12. ESPforMe

ESPforMe Active Member

I'm using Dolphin strictly for the ability to block ads. I prefer the stock browser actually but with flash the ads really slow down my browsing at times. Dolphin feels too "buggy" I guess I would say to me. For instance, I'll click a link and absolutely nothing will happen... then about a minute later it will go to the link. Not always but often.

13. binary visions

If you're rooted, you can have a system-wide ad blocker, which I use. Thus, any browser has ad blocking!

14. e5116

e5116 Well-Known Member

I use the old version of xScope (not available on market anymore; was available on developer's website) for the combination of simplicity, functions, and speed. The only thing I don't like is the bookmarks functionality, but I use Bookmark Home which I find awesome, and looks exactly like another homescreen. Dolphin seemed too "busy" for me. The flash ads aren't a big deal since they don't play unless I click the green arrow. That's how all flash content works so that it doesn't slow down the web page unnecessarily (is that not how it works for you guys?).

I use SkyFire when vieflwing long videos/TV shows as I've found its flash functionality and centering of the video to be second to none. xScope sometimes moves around so the flash isn't perfectly in the middle (I'm talking stuff like espn3.com and shadier sites; more established sites' ash on xScope is fine). Just try them all and see what you like.

15. catfish3955

catfish3955 New Member

I have fire fox but I use the stock browser most often.

16. ctxx24

ctxx24 Well-Known Member

stock is just fine lol

17. mruno

mruno Well-Known Member

xscope all the way. the new version, 6, is the best mobile browser imo.

18. sund0wn

sund0wn Well-Known Member

Fennec!

For now i use DolphinHD

19. sic0048

sic0048 Well-Known Member

I've tried a lot of them, but use Xscope currently. It seems to be just as speedy as the stock browser, but with better screen management. Dolphin HD has lots of options, but I quit using it after realizing how slow it ran compared to the stock browser and Xscope.

20. madAdam

madAdam Well-Known Member

I was a big Dolphin fan until Firefox finally got its act together. The original beta release scared many of us away (it was 40+ megs) but the new Fennec nightly builds are down to under 15MB. They're stable and fast. I love using FoxSync to sync bookmarks between my PC and DX. You can try it here.

21. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

I've tried dolphin, hated it. I tried skyfire, hated it. Stock seems to be the only one that doesn't make me want to throw my phone out of the window. :D (except when it loads mobile versions of web pages) BTW has anybody figured out a way to make the about:debug settings stick?

22. mahers

mahers Well-Known Member

I know you hate Dophin, but I use it exclusively and they have an add-on to toggle between Desktop and Android mode...VERY HANDY, IMHO! No need to mess with the debug thing or worry about it sticking. ;)

23. jreed2560

I know, and skyfire has a handy dandy switch right under the address bar. but for some reason or another I always come back to stock. :( sigh

24. binary visions

Have you tried xScope? It has a handy switch that can be set per-domain and is a lot lower profile than the other browsers.

25. jreed2560

isn't it a paid app though?