What's the best "home" app?

Last Updated:

1. drwinston

drwinston Member This Topic's Starter

Having read and seen some samples on here, I was wondering what people considered the best app for altering your desktop. From what I've seen there's ahome, open home and sweeter home.

Any advice on which has the best designs out there (I won't be able to design my own) and which is easiest to use and doesn't make your phone lag.

thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

One other is dxTop ... I used aHome for a while on both of my phones... Still have it on my stock ... but not on my rooted ... ...

I would say you are wishing for a miracle if any of these alternatives wont cause lag ... (to what degree is ???)

You might want to look at the themes themselves and decide what you like ....and let that govern which app you want to Try ...

3. Brian Zhou

Brian Zhou New Member

I think most of you are familiar with the Android home replacement application, aHome. As the mobile application and software provider based in Southern California who developed aHome, mAPPn is now looking for theme designers to cooperate and themes to buy.

We have had great success on the Android platform with very successful applications, aHome and the freshface which was developed for T-mobile's G1 and MyTouch mobile devices. Currently, we are working together with several media companies on our newest development, the mAPPn Channel, which provides a variety of products and services, such as premium media content.

So if you are interested and would like more information on potential opportunities in designing themes for our platform, please feel free to contact me at brian@mappn.com. In the meantime, please visit our website at www.mappn.com to learn more about who we are.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Brian Zhou
    mAPPn, Inc

4. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

I just installed PandaHome, and I like it so far. The bells and whistles are nice, but mostly unnecessary to me. I don't mind the basic android them, not really looking to be bedazzled by the experience of opening my gmail. :p

I did this because I've had this odd problem with my home screen randomly going black. The notification bar is still visible. The icons, and widgets, while also black, are there, everything works. When I open an app, or even go into settings the program is visible like always, but for some reason the home screen goes black. I did a factory reset that seemed to fix the issue, but as I re-installed software, the black randomness showed up again. I thought it was toggle settings or locale, but both have been uninstalled and the black randomness continues.

Anyway, installing PandaHome, has, so far, alleviated the issue. I don't see much lag, but I've uninstalled a bunch of apps to try to speed up my phone. I've read that you have to keep at least 20-25mb free(on the G1) in order to keep it running without a lot of lag.

5. theman

theman Member

yea PandaHome is also my fav

6. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

winston, what's your background? I understand that dxTop allows to put apps into categories, reminiscent of the PalmOS launcher.

Just a thought.

7. CrushC

CrushC New Member

Hey I downloaded Open home, and right now with the update I cannot even get to the home screen, it just force closes on me. What can I do?

8. ceas909

ceas909 Member

im using panda home... its great.. alot of custom settings... and its free.. can use ahome, open home, and others themes on panda home...

9. kabbie_mcfeely

kabbie_mcfeely Well-Known Member

pandahome for me. You can use almost any other "home" apps themes.

10. dkfireblade

dkfireblade New Member

i use pandahome and it works flawlessly. only problem is dxtop themes do not work with it.

11. johnmed3

johnmed3 Member

I' use open home and my phone has no lag at all. Bought the full version. Also got better cut, great combination as I' can change my theme amd icons separetly if I' want! Got five screens (you can even name them) :)

12. mcbtrain929

mcbtrain929 Well-Known Member

this may be a dumb question, but, if you are browsing the internet on your phone and see a picture that you'd like to be your wallpaper, can you somehow save that pic and do that? i'm a white sox fan and would like a white sox wallpaper. can i just find a whitesox picture on the net and make it my wallpaper, or do i have to buy one of these apps and search for white sox related pics? thanks!

13. ocean1

ocean1 Well-Known Member

Pandahome is so far my fav works great!!!!!

14. MotoDroidHelpandInfo

MotoDroidHelpandInfo Well-Known Member

On the droid all I do is press and hold on the image and a dialog pops up and i just select to save the image.

15. jwmacdon1231

jwmacdon1231 Well-Known Member

I use Open Home Full, dxTop, and Sweeter Home (for when I feel like doing some deep customization). If I feel like having an iphone style setup then I'll use Open Home (7 screens). If I'm having a lazy day then I'll use dxTop (1 swipe to get to any of the 4 screens).

All are great IMO.

I haven't tried aHome yet. What's the main difference between aHome and Open Home?

16. thug_jitsu

thug_jitsu New Member

ive tryed all of the home screens and so far the best is HOME++! no themes yet but thats because its new. in the future im sure there will be themes until then just check it out. its by far the smoothest home!

17. Wingzfan61

Wingzfan61 Well-Known Member

PandaHome.

up to 11 screens, no lag, multiple sidebars, almost all themes work with it, ability to change individual icons or a whole set, ability to rename app shortcuts, total customization. Best of all its free.

For the person looking to organize apps into categories, check out Apps organizer

18. smacinskyjr

smacinskyjr Well-Known Member

i cant believe no one has mentioned GDE it is by far my favorite. ive used pandahome, openhome, home++, dxtop and others. for me GDE just works better.

19. thecoard

thecoard Well-Known Member

Slidescreen home for me. It's so simplistic, and looks so great.

20. Unclebill

Unclebill Active Member

Just put Home++ on my Droid ...
    First impression is I like it. Easier to use than the Home screen that comes with the phone. Didn't even read the "How to use" instructions - it's very intuitive.

21. vonfeldt7

vonfeldt7 Well-Known Member

I like GDE the best, simply because you can have your links to your messages/phone/whatever in the bottom by the task tray. The cube effect is also nice (and a lot quicker/more responsive than it used to be).

22. Sturge[Droid]

Sturge[Droid] Well-Known Member

pandahome may be free but it lags terribly on me, dxtop is nice and simple. my favorite is sweeterhome 2. im using the beta version. it has some bugs but using springboards makes it perfect for customizing and orginization of apps and shortcuts...im a big fan of what is yet to come

23. smacinskyjr

smacinskyjr Well-Known Member

I agree sweeterhome 2 is a great home replacement, BUT you have to almost be a developer to configure it. Just the average Joe like myself will really struggle with setting it up if we ever can do it. But i do agree that the possibilities of this home app far exceeds the capabilities of any other home alternatives out there.

24. WHATSAMATTAU2

WHATSAMATTAU2 New Member

I am using GDE. I tried just about all the alternate home apps. I like pandahome & GDE. IHome full looked good, but it keeps FC, so I uninstalled. I guest pandahome is the most easily modified. 11 Screens, lots of themes, changable icons, and it's FREE!!

25. monkeymynd

monkeymynd Member

I like PandaHome & GDE the best. I prefer GDE over PandaHome because of the application dock. Other than that, they are both great home replacements.