• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's the best IM app for AIM and yahoo?

I love the Cliq but I still miss my Sidekick too..... an android Sidekick with a touch screen is my dream phone.....

One reason is because of the specialized AIM and yahoo messenger apps built in with all kinds of useful features like individual buddy alert, add & delete buddies, organize groups, ignore lists etc....

I tried a few android IM apps like IM+ lite and ebuddy but haven't found anything outstanding yet.... I have trouble logging into yahoo, I keep getting a "rate limit exceeded" error and I have no idea what that means..... anyone else get this??

What IM app do you use most and why????

Thanks!

Jim

How about Nimbuzz
xmassmile.gif

Upvote 0
I love the Cliq but I still miss my Sidekick too..... an android Sidekick with a touch screen is my dream phone.....

The Motorola Devour is a LOT like what you just described. It definitely feels like a Sidekick, but its running on Android with a touch screen of course.

And to relate this post back to your question, I used to use the mobile IM app that was stock on the Devour but now I just Meebo. I like it a lot.

Upvote 0
I prefer to use Meebo IM. Those disconnection issues you were talking about may be because of your battery setting. Putting it into battery saver mode will automatically disconnect you from the network after a period of it being unused. I have my CLIQ in performance mode and the Meebo IM app would be on for days at a time. Also i like how you can have multiple accounts on multiple social services :)

Upvote 0

One reason is because of the specialized AIM and yahoo messenger apps built in with all kinds of useful features like individual buddy alert, add & delete buddies, organize groups, ignore lists etc....

I know exactly where ur coming from buddy, I'm having the same issue ur having. I used to have the Sidekick as well and loved it for the same reasons, I've tried everything out there Meebo, eBuddy, IM+, Nimbuzz, etc... none of them have individual buddy alerts, which is what I'm looking for. What I'm using is Trillian, it doesn't have buddy alerts but it is very stable in the fact that it does not disconnect at all. I'm sticking with this until I find one that has buddy alerts

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones