Whats the best Kernel out there and why? ( looking to replace )

Last Updated:

1. Buck Shot

Buck Shot Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i need a step by step noob guide. Or am I just missing the easy way here?

Advertisement
  2. mudrock1000

mudrock1000 Well-Known Member

Which kernel do you have and which one do you want to update too?

(note: recent may not be the best kernel ;)

3. mdubs

mdubs Member

Ok, ALL reviews and opinions of kernels will be subjective due to differences in use and other factors.

To me, there are a few big things to look for:
    1. Are you comfortable with Overclocking your processor. Many of the kernels out now have enabled OC'ing the Snapdragon so some extent. I personally am not comfortable with OC'ing a processor that does not have a built in cooling system. To each their own. You can limit the clock speed on your rooted phone via SetCPU (paid app in the market for root users).

2. Undervolting. Pretty much all of the kernels out there now utilize UV'ing the processor to some degree. I've seen UV values go down to 800 mV. Each processor will be just slightly different and thus will behave differently with dropping the voltage. Some users report no problems at all at the 800 mV level while others are having significant issues.

The methods for installing the different kernels out there are going to be different for almost all of them. Some will require flashing an additional file to keep Wifi working, some don't.

I am currently using this one:
    [5.0.6] Desire Cam + Oc-Uv - CyanogenMod Forum

It has the Desire Camera worked into it and is super easy to install. All that is required is to save the .zip file on your SD card and flash it via Recovery. I have not tested Wifi functionality as of yet though. I am also limiting the clock speed to 998 MHz via SetCPU like I mentioned before. I am very happy with this kernel+camera setup but ymmv.

Bottom line, you're gonna have to read a lot to get a feel for what you are comfortable with. If you run into problems or need additional help in figuring out the installs, post in the individual forums for each kernel or come back here and you will get the help that you need. This community (the Android mod community in general) is probably the best that I have found myself involved in and you will grow to love it as you become more involved in it.

Best of luck and let us know if you need any help at all!

4. Buck Shot

i am runnin a kernel from late january. I have seen screenshots of crazy battery life, life a day +.

Current Kernel Version : 2.6.33.2 - cyanogenmod shade@toxygene #1

ROM: Cyanogenmod 5.0.6

apps: SetCPU and Power Manager

not interested in overclocking. Someone said the same thing about this as far as just flashing in recovery if ur running cyanogen but it failed everytime i tried

i want [Kernel-.33.2][DIET][04/25] CM 5.0.6, 8 MB RAM Extra, Stable Hybrid AVS, Optional OC - xda-developers

I attempted to do this yestarday. I did a nandroid, then did some things i prob shouldnt of. So I did a nandroid restore and my latest date wouldnt work so I have to go back to last month. Now I go to create my custom icons and they only show half as if they are too big ( like a bad cropped pic ) Now im stuck with these shitty stock icons and it pisses me off. But a noob walk through would be nice. According to these screen shots for this kernel the battery life is insane.

5. Buck Shot

i flashed the desire one u posted but i dont like the camera. Im use to my stock cam. But Ill try it for now until i can get what I want

6. ksc6000

ksc6000 Active Member