What's the best keyboard replacement?

Last Updated:

1. mkanet

mkanet Member This Topic's Starter

I like the way my EVO keyboard looks; and, like the fact that I can just click on the microphone anytime to just "tell" it what to write. However, even in landscape mode, I'm having some trouble hitting the right keys; and, I dont have fat fingers either.

I saw the slideIT keyboard ad which looks pretty good; but dont know if it has speech recognition or if there's anything else that might be missing.

Is there a keyboard replacement that completely replaces the existing keyboard without any compromise; and have keys that are easier to type on?

Thanks,
    M

Advertisement
  2. mrk

mrk Well-Known Member

I'm loving Swype.

3. ffyter

ffyter Member

4. septro

septro Well-Known Member

I've tried Swype, Smart Keyboard Pro and Thickbuttons.

Swype sucked donkey balls and didn't work for me. Thickbuttons is ok but takes some getting used to seeing your next word increase in size and offset the keyboard. Does work well tho. SmartKeyboard is closest to the iPhone interface and the word prediction is exceptional.

Screw a keyboard - voice to text is the bomb.

dthomas319 likes this.
  5. mkanet

Maybe I'm missing something here, but in all the screenshots I've seen for these keyboard replacements, none of them had a voice recognition key like the default keyboard. I like the idea of electing to choose voice recognition every once in a while.

Also, do these keyboard replacements completely replace the default keyboard; where I only see the new keyboard in any situation requiring text input?

6. imyourhero

imyourhero Member

That video in your link is pathetic. I will opt out of even trying this because of that video! HAHA. Quite content with my basic keyboard. I use the talk feature now more than I even type. Very easy when in the office or car.

Covert_Death likes this.
  7. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

Every replacement keyboard I have tried has voice input. And yes,completely replaces stock keyboard. Go to keyboard and language in settings to set no keyboard ad default.

8. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Well-Known Member

Have you calibrated your keyboard? Check sig.

9. mkanet

Theres no need to calibrate or adjust anything on the default android keyboard.. if my fingers the size of an infant's fingers, I would have no problems at all.

I have to admit it septro was absolutely right. I just installed Smart Keyboard Pro and whala... all of a sudden I can type 4 times quicker; and, it automatically fixed any typos I did have on the fly. No training, calibrating necessary. The keyboard looks very polished. I have the choice of choosing an iphone keyboard, black, grey, etc... I have it transparent so I can see the rest of the screen that the keyboard is hiding.

Oh yeah, and of course the microphone key is right where it should be. I dont lose any functionality; and, gain a ton of new features!

10. NiCK Crush

NiCK Crush Well-Known Member

how can you get Swype? It's not in the Market yet, right?

11. Meltz014

Meltz014 Well-Known Member

I second this question

12. rzenger

rzenger Well-Known Member

It's not on the market because it's still just a beta, it is possible to get ( and it is sweeeeeeeet) but links to it can't be posted on here.

13. blueblur

blueblur Member

I really liked smart keyboard and their iphone keyboard replacement... works very similar to the original iphone keyboard (still has the mic setting though!) .. i'm considering buying it for the auto correction feature

14. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

if you want swype just ask for a PM from people here to where to get it, no one is allowed to post links to swype

15. nbm400

nbm400 Well-Known Member

+1 Swype is amazing.

16. TheBiles

TheBiles Well-Known Member

There's a full Swype guide at xda-developers in the EVO apps forum.

-------------
    Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk Pro.

17. timmy1909

timmy1909 New Member

where is the voice command on Touchpal... I dont see it.

18. GoldenStatePanda

GoldenStatePanda Well-Known Member

+1 for swype. LOVE it. it makes typing on the virtual keyboard FUN :D

19. pingpongboss

pingpongboss Well-Known Member

I've tried Swype, Smart Keyboard Pro, Better Keyboard, stock keyboard, and HTC's stock keyboard. But I finally found the best! HTC_IME from the guys at XDA is based on HTC's stock keyboard, but with about 100 more options. It's the fastest keyboard, and doesn't lag like better/smart keyboard. I have the best error-less typing on HTC_IME. I've used swype for over a month, but it still generates too many errors, especially for words that have the same "swype path"

[MOD] HTC_IME (8th June) v27: Small fix - xda-developers

20. kayawire

kayawire Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Smart keyboard Pro recommendation..I just bought it and it really is worth the whooping $2.40:D ...iphone layout , no lagging, and the great auto correction !!!

oZo likes this.