What's the best way to use my G1 in Europe?General

Last Updated:

1. evoski3553

evoski3553 New Member This Topic's Starter

I will be in Europe for 2 weeks and want to be able to use my phone while I'm there. I heard you can turn on international roaming on the T-Mobile plan, but the rates are ridiculously expensive.

I also heard that you can purchase a pre-paid sim card online or in the country, but does that require my phone to be unlocked and can my American G1 be used on the European network? Will these sim cards allow me access to the data network?

What do you think the best/cheapest option is? Can you get these sim cards online? Can I unlock the phone in Europe if I buy the sim card there?

I greatly appreciate your help!

Advertisement
  2. kejlyCZ

kejlyCZ Well-Known Member

You have to ask T-Mobile to get unlock code for your phone (I don't know exactly how long does it take and costs, in Europe all phones are sold unlocked). Prices for european prepaid SIM cards depends on the country and on the phone usage, SIMcard with some credit can be bought for about 8USD. Typical costs (all per minute) are: inland 0,25USD, other european countries, USA and Canada (most operator use 2 zones) 0,60-1,50USD, rest of the world 3USD, data usage 3USD/MB. You can check the local operator webpages (o2, tmobile, vodafone and many others) to see pricing. In many countries you also need passport to buy even prepaid cards and easy activation (will be done by seller usually the same day you buy it, so the card will be active next day). You can get lower prices for local calls and internet usage (lets say half price) for cheaper operators, but roaming (also calls to USA) are generally high for all prepaid cards. If you write some details, like coutry you will be in, planned usage (inland, Europe, USA calls, data), maybe I can recommend you some operators, I travel a lot and know some countries (Czech rep., Slovak rep., Germany, Austria, Norway).

3. freeg1unlockcodes

freeg1unlockcodes Member

Yes, assuming you are a T-Mobile customer in good standing (that is an account over 90 days old with no violations of ToS), you can call to ask for an unlock code. They usually send them within 24 hours, I believe. If you are not a T-Mobile customer, that's when you have to find other unlocking services online.

4. Swizz

Swizz Well-Known Member

But do you have direct links to these unlocking services?

Myths, I say.