Whats the big MFLOPS?

Last Updated:

1. Carreno

Carreno Member This Topic's Starter

So I've gotten anywhere between 2.5 to 5.1 MFLOPS using various ROMS and have yet to be able to notice something incredibly different.

710...768...806 - What does it matter? What program other than Linpack shows a sizable difference? Sure, maybe things open quicker? What am I missing here?

I read all this about achieving high MFLOPS and OC Kernels yet I still can't achieve smooth game play on 16 bit emulator on my phone with 5 MFLOPS.

MFLOPS mean jack when there is little way to observe the difference.

Advertisement
  2. majorpay

majorpay Well-Known Member

Gaming is going to have more to do with your GPU and graphics libraries. You could overclock the hell out of this thing and only see minor improvements in those areas.

Another interesting thing to note is that even if you doubled your CPU speed, you have not actually doubled performance. Typically, OCing yields anywhere from %1-%10 actual performance increases. The busses on these units and GPU throughput will be bottlenecks at some point for OCers (perhaps even at 768?).

I think the big deal with OCing is simply what you stated: make the interface more snappy, because this unit lags on transitions and applications in it's default state.

If gaming is the goal, this unit hasn't impressed me much. I think the Droid has a better overall GPU.

Carreno likes this.
  3. majorpay

Just learned something a little more interesting... Rumor has it that the Eris doesn't even have a GPU, but the Droid has a dedicated GPU running at 430 Mhz?

The Eris is just not a gaming unit, I guess...

4. Carreno

Carreno Member This Topic's Starter

Most unfortunate. Thanks for the response.

5. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

Try underclocking and then send a text message. You will see a HUGE difference between what you are used to if you have been OC'ing to 710 or above. I screwed up my profiles and had it underclock without my knowledge. I was ready to throw my phone out the window, though it went 2 hours without going below 99% battery.

6. majorpay

No problem... That has been one of the reasons floating in the back of my head as to why I *maybe* should have purchased a Droid, but I can't complain about getting my Eris for free... That was the ultimate deciding factor.