What's the cheapest way to hang on to a phone number?

Last Updated: 2013-02-09 00:21:35
  1. kanezfan

kanezfan Well-Known Member

My company has given me a new phone and I no longer need to pay AT&T for their service, however I would like to keep my old phone number. I found some site that parks your number for $3 a month and I'm looking into a go phone but they charge you even if you leave the phone off all the time and a call goes to voice mail. Suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

In the UK you could just transfer the number to a
  3. fdbryant3

fdbryant3 Well-Known Member

If your in the US you can pay $20 to move your number to Google Voice. The basic function of Google Voice will forward calls to that number to other phone numbers that you define. This way your number is no long tied to any particular phone or service.
  4. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

This is the best and cheapest way I of to keep your number. And with this number you could theoretically have all your calls forwarded from your old number to this new phone with a different number.

Plus you could even get it to tell you if someone is calling the old number or your new one :)
  5. kanezfan

Would google voice also forward text messages?
  6. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna Well-Known Member

Yes. Doesn't work with premium (short code) text services, though.
  7. fdbryant3

fdbryant3 Well-Known Member

Or MMS if that is important to you
  8. kanezfan

not really, anyone who's important to me already has the new number, I just want to hold on the the number basically.