• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's the craziest, most dangerous thing you ever did?

A loooong time ago we went to Marineland at Niagara Falls on the Canadian side. It was either early spring or late fall so most of the attractions were closed or on limited schedules, no one was there, it was pretty darn empty. I wanted to see the killer whales, badly. There wasn't a show but I went over to their tank (thru the 'do not enter' rope of course) and walked around, they came over and 'walked' around with me. I could hear them through the glass, so neat. As I walked around I came to the 'employees only' 'do NOT enter' 'stay off!!' 'danger Will Robinson' stairs that lead to the top. So yeah, up I went for a better view. The whales (there were 2) came over and just looked at me, all puzzled and curious. One got bored and went to the middle and just hung out but the other, bigger, one started swimming pretty fast in a huge circle. I wanted to take a picture so was following with my lens and everything went black. Really black, really fast. The other one had come over and was 'standing' in front of me. Right in front of me. I, knowing better, reached out and patted it. Then the other one came zooming by and stuck it's flipper up so I high fived it on the way by. Then I really realized they could knock me in or I could fall in and they could kill me so I left. It was one of the greatest things that was incredibly stupid that I ever did. Oh and, no one that I was with knew where I was. I had just snuck off. So yeah. Not smart at all but a super great experience.

Upvote 0
Rootabaga pointed us recently to that guy who did the free fall into the net; No parachute, just a jump suit.

Not my accomplishment, obviously; But I can't imagine much more extreme than that. Hand it to the guy, that was a cut or five above "normal" thrill seeking behavior. Total commitment to the bit.

I deliberately avoided watching it, because at the time, it felt like it was a "supply and demand" problem. I had a sense that it was a coarse publicity stunt, the ultimate episode of "Jackass". I figured (at the time) I would vote for less of that kind of stuff; Figured if nobody demands it, they won't supply it.

Then I realized this guy was the real deal, it was in his blood. He was gonna' do this kind of stuff if we were watching or not. So why not watch?

I imagine most have seen this, or is aware of this story, but it has always made my palms pour out sweat whenever I watch it. And it's extra poignant, after the events 15 years ago.

Sorry to post without a "I've done...." story like the OP asked.:oops:
And doubly sorry to distract with following question: Am not mocking, dontpanicbobby......Just really curious. You don't know how to swim? I'm sure you're not unique there, but I have to imagine rare. Is it not as uncommon as I think, and how did it come to pass that you never learned?

Upvote 0
The most dangerous thing that I did so far is to jump and see the biggest whale under the sea without a swimming vest. It's crazy because I really do not know how to swim. Its risky because I'm only guided by a life guard and don't even know if I'll survive 2o feet deep. I did it for a travel experience. Well, I did not regret it . It was fun indeed!

Upvote 0
Me and two friends climbed an old rotten wooded ladder that was covered with ice to the top of an abandoned grain elevator. It was so slick on top of the elevator that we had no choice but to go right back down. It was fun at the time. We had to hang on best we could with hands and feet slipping on every step. What kept the ladder from breaking or us just slipping off I'll never know.

Not by choice, I once fell through the ice of a frozen creek. It wasn't like I was going to drown. The water was only up to my shoulders.... but I couldn't get out. There wasn't any way I could get back up on the ice. I had to break the ice with my elbows until I was near enough to the bank to get up on the ice again. By the time I got home, my clothes were frozen.. and so was I. My father warmed me up with his belt however.

Upvote 0
I've never related to cetaceans. They're too big.
Just one more reason why dolphins are so great, the are the perfect size (and intelligence) to be relatable, and "flipper" around with.;)

I was (12 to 14?) years old, and there was nothing truly dangerous about it; But I still can't believe it was even a (short lived) attraction.
It was one of the marine parks, don't remember if Marineland, Seaworld, or what. But there was an attraction where we could pay our nickle, and they would issue us rented wetsuit, mask, flippers, and a snorkel. And you could dip into a donut shaped artificial reef environment. The whole tank surrounded by a larger, subterranean, donut walkway, glass panels looking into the "reef" all the way around. That way, Mom and Dad could keep an eye on us while we "played in the pond". Water was maybe only ten to twelve feet deep, but stocked with all kinds of kelp forests, varieties of fish, eels, and (small) sharks bumping into you. Don't know the species, they were undoubtedly selected for mild temperament; And maybe they were only 4 to 5 feet long, but still.......They were sharks, you could pet them as they cruised by, entirely indifferent to "us little squids" in the water with them.
And seriously; The only "entry test" was the classic "must be this tall to ride".......Come one, come all; Breathe, don't breathe, suckalungfullawater......It's all the same to us.:rolleyes:

I didn't do anything dangerous......But even then, considering possible liability issues......This struck me as the scariest thing the legal advisors at "Mariseaworldland" ever signed off on?:rolleyes:;)

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0
Drinking and Driving,Rolled my Jeep years ago.
Which I don't drink anymore.

That happened last night in New England. NECN had footage of the rolled over Jeep and the driver standing there looking like nothing happened while the police gave him orders. I truly think something looks over drunks.

Speaking of drunk...

Managed to hit every guide wire hanging off poles on my bike in deeply southern Florida. IIRC there were more there 10.

"Don't drink and ride either."

Reactions: AMOCO
Upvote 0
Driving a Russian Dnepr motor bike with side car from the Netherlands, through Finland to Norwegian's North Cape and back home. Dnepr was the civilian brand for the military Ural motor bike. Hence of even worse quality. We found wooded parts in the mechanics. Parts that were supposed to be clean, were greased, and the other way around.
Anyway... Very basic mechanics.
Loosing third gear halfway on our way back. Overhauling the engine on a plastic construction tarp, in a camping site. But we made it home :p:D

This is my love, by the way. Bungee jumping over the North Sea. This must have been his 150+ jump. The man is addicted, what can I say :eek::D

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Yes UK. Although in China you have other worries such as air pollution. Don't know what it's like in your region, but I've heard that Beijing smog can be pretty horrendous.

Yeh, Beijng can have bad air, but I'm not there, I'm in Jinan, air is ok, and fully segregated cycle roads everywhere, i.e. cars are NOT mixed with bikes.

But I know if cycling on roads in London, one is asking to get creamed....been there, done that. :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0
Hopping freight trains as a teen. The one time I jumped off and fractured my wrist, I think I stopped after that. Another time, more spooky then dangerous, walking across the Eads bridge in St. Louis, over the Mississippi River. Again as a teen, it was late night so wasn't many cars on it, but it was still scary to me!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones