What's the current status re 64gb sdxc support?General

Last Updated: 2013-01-10 21:50:49
  1. JohnB47

JohnB47 Well-Known Member

Hi.

I'm in the UK.

Just got my note 10.1 and I want to buy a 64gb sdxc card for it. I've read a few posts about compatibility with certain firmware (software?) versions.

My version is 4.0.4 and Build No is IMM76D.N8010XXALGC

It seems to be offering me an update but I'm wondering if it will support the 64gb card now but I'll lose that support if I upgrade.

So I wonder whether to update now or wait for Gellybean.

Any views?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. kevindroid

kevindroid Well-Known Member

you can format the card to fat 32 with your computer and then insert it
  3. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Exactly, FAT32 will work on any firmware.
  4. james_uk

james_uk Well-Known Member

I am in UK too, i tried 2 different 64gb cards and i could get neither to work in my note 10.1.

that was with trying to format in my laptop as well, i ended up getting a 32gb card which worked right away.

I am not sure of the update you arte getting as i have had my unit for about 3-4 months and not had 1 fw update in the whole time i have had it.

i am under the impression that the fw update to jb will fix any issues with 64gb cards though, so maybe worth the wait for it if you want one.

james
  5. JohnB47

Thanks everyone. Hmmm, I thought this would't be easy. Perhaps I'll wait. James - maybe I was wrong about the update message. It seems to have disappeared!

Anyway, I have a separate issue now. See separate thread.
  6. Queen6

Queen6 Well-Known Member

I bought my 10.1 Note locally here in Malaysia, popped in a 64gb sdxc previously formatted to Fat 32, performed a local format in the Note natively to ExFat (default), my Mac`s wont read the Card, my Windows 7 will which is a little odd. Other than that the 64gb sdxc works flawlessly with the Note 10.1. For large data transfer i just plug the Note into the Mac and copy across.

Sandisk 64gb Micro SDXC Memory Card with SD Adapter
    Caloy likes this.
  7. NeoGrandizer

NeoGrandizer Well-Known Member

Not odd considering Microsoft developed the exFAT format...
  8. malkie0831

malkie0831 Member

I have a UK spec Gt-N8010 (wi-fi only). Just this week I've tried it with a 64GByte Sandisk card and no joy.

I see posts from many places where they have made it work, but the UK spec one's seem to be missing something.

I've ordered a 32Gbyte one for now, maybe when we get JB it will solve the issue.
  9. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

Another issue with 64 gb sdxc cards is that since XP Microsoft Windows doesn't allow you to format a FAT32 drive any larger than 32GB even though it supports volumes up to 2 terabytes. You have to use 3rd party software like Eausus partition manager which is free for personal use.
  10. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

Can't you format the card on the tablet itself?
  11. Szadzik

Yes, of course.
  12. james_uk

I couldn't with 2 different 64gb cards on my note 10.1, with each it just kept telling me that my card is safe to remove anytime i tried.
  13. Szadzik

Because you have a defective unit/ firmware.
  14. james_uk

when i tried a 32gb card it works fine with no issues, the uk units seem to have this issue not sure why?

i got mine when it first come out here and up to now i have not had 1 fw update.
  15. Queen6

Queen6 Well-Known Member

Odd in that the Mac OS X can read and write natively to ExFat, yet wont read this card directly that has been formatted by the 10.1 Note, as stated i my previous post.
  16. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

Not always, because many devices don't recognize exFAT they either won't see the card or else it won't show the full capacity which then leaves you with a card that's improperly formatted and even using special tools might never be able to format at the original capacity.
  17. Szadzik

There is JB available for download and easy instal without root, without losing any data. I see no reason not to try it. A bit of initiative is required, though.

Everything is doable.
  18. slobbythegreat

slobbythegreat Well-Known Member

isnt the idea of purchasing an sdxc card so you can store files over 4gb..if you format the card to fat32 then it wont hold files over 4gb????
  19. Szadzik

What kind of files do you want to put there that are over 4GB? I have music, movies, but none of these are over 4GB as I do not intend to watch Full HD movies with 5.1 sound on a 10.1" tablet. I have a home cinema setup for that.
  20. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

I wonder what I have done that you haven't. I still don't have JB, but my tablet has no problem with my 64 GB card.

Sent using the force
  21. JohnB47

I may be wrong but I think some confusion has arisen because UK versions of this tab don't support 64gb microsd cards, whereas US (and perhaps others versions do.

That's why we keep seeing all the "it doesn't work", "yes it does" posts. Both are correct.

Now that I have JB, I intend to buy one of these cards and see if it works. I'll let you know.
  22. leono1

leono1 Member

Ive got a uk note wifi only, upgraded to JB 2 days ago and put my 64gb card in after and it works fine, ive brought the scan disc sdxc class 10 card with adapter, around 40 pounds from amazon