What's the difference?

Last Updated:

1. KaveMahn

KaveMahn Active Member This Topic's Starter

I have ROM Manager installed on my rooted Droid. I am trying to figure out the difference between Clockworkmod and SPRecovery. I'm currently running Smoked Glass v.6.0, but would like to try some different ROMs. Also when I change ROMs do I have to rebuy all my apps? Any help given is greatly appreciated as I'm still a noob.

Advertisement
  2. datsyuk

datsyuk Active Member

Your apps are tracked by your Google account so if you wipe your data they'll still be under file that you did buy it and can just re-download it. I'm not sure with the specific differences but I prefer Clockwork because I don't have to keep renaming files on my sdcard and can restore/backup and install new ROMs from a menu with a choice of ROMs on my droid.

KaveMahn likes this.
  3. KaveMahn

KaveMahn Active Member This Topic's Starter

Oh OK thanks for the info. Now that I know I will try out some new ROMs.

4. ech0

ech0 Active Member

I can't give you all the nitty-gritty technical details, but it basically has to do with Koush's (Clockwork) vs. SirPsycho's (SPRecovery) interpretation of the Nandroid backup system. Clockwork is a "pure" nandroid backup, while SPR has made some changes to the Nandroid system.

In the few weeks after the Nexus One 2.1 ROM was modded to run on the Droid SPRecovery was probably the most popular recovery. When Koush released ROM Manager -- which included and required Clockwork -- Clockwork Recovery became exponentially more popular.

Point being that SPR and Clockwork recoveries are not compatible with each other.

KaveMahn likes this.
  5. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Just to point out when using ROM Manager it is no biggy as ROM Manager makes it quite easy and painless to switch back and forth from SPRecovery to Clockwork.

KaveMahn likes this.
  6. esmith818

esmith818 Well-Known Member

A nice touch with Clockwork is that you can launch the program from your phone, choose a new ROM on your SD card and reboot. You don't need to rename your ROM so you can keep several on the SD card and know which is which.

With SPRecovery you typically rename your ROM of choice as "update.zip". Then you have to reboot to choose your ROM and reboot again to install it. Not a big inconvenience, but I like not having to reboot twice every time I want to flash, especially on days when I'm flashing different ROMs several times in a day.

7. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

Keep in mind there's a need to use both as some devs have trouble w/ one vs. the other (like the wifi issues caused by Froyo in Clockwork, initially). So I highly recommend ROM Manager as an easy way to switch between both. And you'll want the Premium version as it not only makes switch between easy, but it makes flashing diff ROMs, themes, and basebands easy, too. And that "fixing permissions" has proven to be more than handy for me.