What's the largest thing I can use as a phone on T-Mobile?

1. bob60626

bob60626 Well-Known Member

with full data speeds, cellular calls,...? I'm guessing it'd be a Note 2, but are there any compatible tablets? I remember reading the original Samsung 7" tablets had phone capabilities but have not been able to find exact details.

Advertisement
  2. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

Galaxy Tab p6800...I was going to go that route, as the Tab 2 Plus fits in most of my back pockets, though lacking the phone dialer app and earpiece, but the 7.7" 6800 was a little too big.
  3. bob60626

Both of those allow data with a phone sim? My 7.0+ allows texting but no data.
  4. colnago

My T-Mo branded 7.0 Plus supports both T-Mo, and at&t 3G bands...but no earpiece. 6800 has at least at&t 3G (I forget if T-Mo). Need to try bluetooth, now that I have headset which may support Skype.
  5. chong67

chong67 Well-Known Member

Root your phone. Make it send out free Wifi.

Now any device, big or small, can use it.
  6. tube517

tube517 Well-Known Member Contributor

I know you want cell calls but you can use Google Voice/GrooveIP on a tablet. I use it on my Thrive sometimes w/my headphones
  7. chong67

Here is this science on VOIP thing:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2057887

Personally, I am using Vonage now to call non Vonage customers. Viber is pretty good as it is used Worldwide. Skype is OK too. In the near future, I would just use VOIP to save $. I will not use real cellphone minutes unless I m doing a job interview. :D
  8. aurora40

aurora40 Well-Known Member

But if that's the criteria, he could use a tower desktop with a 50" TV screen as "the largest thing" to make non-cell calls on.
  9. tube517

tube517 Well-Known Member Contributor

:D

I think the original 7" Galaxy Tab was set up to make cellular calls like he said but that was the only one I can remember.
  10. bob60626

The 6800 doesn't appear to support the necessary bands.
  11. colnago

Supports T-Mo "Edge", on 850/1900, and T-Mo is activating HSPA/HSPA+ on 1900.
  12. bob60626

Perhaps, but I want full data speeds. I don't want to buy a tablet to use as a phone and only have edge speeds. :D
    As for the 1900 I would need that to be widespread as their original. If so, I'd probably just buy a used Note 1, AT&T or international. I saw one on Swappa yesterday for 250.
  13. MT Rotor

MT Rotor Guest

If I were to get a tmobile 9700 is it gonna use hspa+?
  14. chong67

When I was oversea, I heard about EDGE speed and it was slow.
  15. NeXuS4

NeXuS4 Well-Known Member

Nexus 7 what is that?/s
  16. bob60626

That has been proven to not work on the $30 plan, unfortunately (can do texts, but no calls, no rear camera, hdmi,...)
  17. NeXuS4

NeXuS4 Well-Known Member

Talkatone. T-Mobile has different rates for tablets but it's not like they are expensive. Taking pictures with tablets makes you look foolish anyway.

Also you can buy an adapter for HDMI for just a few bucks...
  18. bob60626

The Nexus 7 doesn't appear to have HDMI/MHL capabilities at all, I know and have used TMO data plans, I don't care what people on the internet think is foolish (I regularly use my 7.0+'s front camera for bar code scans anyway), it doesn't work as a cellular phone, and it doesn't work as a cellular phone.

I'll probably end up waiting til the Note 3 comes out and buying a used 2.