• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

what's the most compatible android phone?

cr4zyjay

Feb 13, 2012
hello all,

i have a GT-N7100 (Galaxy Note 2) sim free. during my time having this phone since last november, i have been often dissapointed that the games i wanted to try out on google play are showing up as incompatible.

yet, my old galaxy S2, an inferior phone in every single way, says it is compatible with most of these games. i thought, how can that be? this phone is better in all specs and res and screen size, why on earth would a worse phone be compatible but this not?

in the end in the case of GTA San Andreas, i gave up trying to communicate with the dev studio and rockstar because they are useless when it comes to customer support... i downloaded the APK for the game and installed it. what do you know... it works perfectly.

why do they do this? if it works, why has it been left as incompatible for these sets of devices?

it brings me to the main question... what android phone is likely to be the most compatible with every single game and app on the google play store? is there like, a common brand of handsets that every single developer will have on the top of their list to make compatible and optimise games and apps for first before anything else? what about the nexus range for example, google branded phones. would these surely be compatible with everything since it's being sold by the same company selling you all those games on their digital platform?

i am looking to upgrading my phone sometime... but i really do not want to have this problem again. i want to have a phone that is 100% compatible with everything on there. i don't want to be left out.

Have you updated your Note 2? I have a Note 2 as well, and GTA San Andreas shows up as compatible on the Play Store. Also have you checked if it's a country restriction? You may also want to try downloading it from the Amazon AppStore.

Generally, the Galaxy S series, Note series, HTC One flagships Motorola flagshipsand the LG flagships have been prioritized for compatibilities.

Upvote 0
PSA.jpg

We're getting into a very gray zone here, and I want to make sure we're all very clear on the subject.

Finding an APK of a paid app and installing it for free is a bad thing to do for a number of reasons, two of which I will cite here:

(1) It's piracy. You're essentially stealing money from talented developers who put in long hours and days developing the app. Let's reverse the roles: if you charged for an app in order to compensate you for your time and effort in developing it, and people starting reverse-engineering the app and giving it away for free, how would it feel to you? We're not just hurting feelings here: we're STEALING. It's flat-out wrong. and such will not be discussed here.

(2) It's pretty common knowledge that a LOT of warez (that means pirated or bootlegged software) isn't just the app: rather, it's the app plus malware. Oh, the app will work just fine... meanwhile the spyware you installed along with it, in the APK, is sending your personal data back to Russia, or China, or who-knows-where and for who-knows-what reasons - none of which are beneficial to you. I'm not saying you WILL get an infected APK, nor will I say you won't. But sticking to legitimate software keeps the bugs (and prying eyes) out of your device.

So we can talk about rooting all we want: however, the talk about installing pirated apps stops here and now.

If you have any questions about this little diatribe, don't hesitate to PM me.

:)

Upvote 0
Nexus 5 probably, it's very well supported and it's a developer phone for many.

Otherwise the Galaxy S5 "Snapdragon version" is by far the most popular Android phone so it does get a great deal of support, developers would be stupid not to considering how many of them sell and how similar the hardware is to the Nexus 5.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones