What's the point of an unlocked phone if you still are limited to carriers?

Last Updated:

1. neely615

neely615 Member This Topic's Starter

The reason I am posting here (at phandroid) is because I love my G1 but have been eying the newer android phones coming down the line.

Buying an unlocked device (say the Nexus One) can provide some longterm monetary gain, but I don't see how it is advantageous for the reason "freedom to switch carriers/service agreements." If I have a Nexus One I could flip between Tmo and AT&T, but that's it. Really, I would love to flip between monthly options at Tmo and Sprint since they are the most competitive IMO (and in my area).

I am without a contract now (but have a crazy cheap plan at Tmo) and don't know if I should wait for the unlikely CDMA/GSM capable phone, or just throw my hat behind GSM or CDMA and go from there.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. ZeRo_Co0L

ZeRo_Co0L Active Member

Pretty much everywhere else in the world that's the case but only here in the States do we have the crappy cell system that's overpriced and sucks.

3. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Unlocked phones benefit everyone except people that live in North America which has two different standards for cell phones. It really does suck. In Europe, if you get crappy service in your area with one carrier, you could switch to another. And if you roam to another country, just pop in a different pre-paid SIM card. For them, it has numerous advantages.

GSM coverage in the US is pretty horrid in the Midwest anyway. Once you leave the Interstates, your lucky if your phone even gets partial coverage. I know this from experience.

4. neely615

neely615 Member This Topic's Starter

I was seriously thinking about getting an unlocked Nexus or some other variety and running on my Tmo plan a bit longer before switching to Sprint (due to coverage, etc.), but that makes no sense. One day... doubtfully.

5. SingJsong

SingJsong Well-Known Member

While on this topic, I had a question about how everything transfers over. Say one does switch from T-Mobile to ATT (or vice versa) with their SIM cards...does one need to have them both active and with a mobile plan on the carrier for it to work?