What's this "MTP-Connected" stuffSupport

1. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

I plugged my wife's new S2 into the computer tonight for the first time and got a notification on the phone, "MTP-connected." Her phone then opened a window on the computer (Win XP) showing me folders for "phone" and "card."

I understand what I'm seeing, but I don't get that on my month-old S2 at all. Instead I get the classic "USB connected" and the button to switch to external storage.

We both have the same exact specs in the "about phone" section.

Anyone know the big advantage of the MTP thing? And why wouldn't mine have it?

Advertisement
  2. seanpr123

seanpr123 Well-Known Member

You must have USB Debugging enabled under the Applications USB Settings. I'm not sure if there's any practical difference between the two (speed or more access perhaps?), but I know if you're doing any rooting/flashing you usually need to have debugging enabled.

Hope that helps.
    (G) likes this.
  3. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

You were exactly right. I'm not rooting the phone so I have no idea how USB Debugging got checked.
  4. SGS2

SGS2 Well-Known Member

mtp is "media to phone".
  5. wolfyboy359

wolfyboy359 Well-Known Member

my understanding is there are two ways to connect the phone to your computer via usb. one is using the windows drivers (mtp, etc.) and then there's a mass storage mode which can get activated on your phone. It seems like your wifes phone is using the windows drivers and you are using "usb mass storage mode". usb mass storage is faster and more reliable in my experience.
    SGS2 likes this.
  6. ppeklak

ppeklak Member

fixed
  7. ndfan4u

ndfan4u Well-Known Member

How do you change from mtp to usb??
  8. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

You either check or uncheck "USB Debugging" in "Applications" from your "Settings" menu.
  9. bruddah

bruddah New Member

This doesnt work for me :(