• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's up with all the redundancy on the Eris/HTC Sense?

That means they now have (at least) two different Sense's to maintain (more if they make other mods for other phones physical attributes). That would make OS updates take much longer to adjust for, as they'd have to make changes in all versions of Sense. While I agree that the big green Phone button 1/2 inch from a physical button doesn't make much sense, to me it's better than trying to maintain different version of Sense based on phone design.

Good thoughts.

But I'm always thinking like a consumer rather than a rep of whatever department decides these things.

You're probably right.

Upvote 0
Wait, what? If you don't like the redundancy, don't use the Sense UI. Use a launcher, or simply use the vanilla Home screen.

Of course.

And if you're rooted you can actually get rid of Sense and the HTC stuff altogether, or partially and in varying degrees of user control over that, depending merely on which ROM you flash.

However, if you're not rooted, Sense and its components will still be in your device no matter the Home or 3rd party launcher you deploy.

Upvote 0
Of course.

And if you're rooted you can actually get rid of Sense and the HTC stuff altogether, or partially and in varying degrees of user control over that, depending merely on which ROM you flash.

However, if you're not rooted, Sense will still be in your device no matter the Home or 3rd party launcher you deploy.

Without root, you can't beat it "Senseless"...

Upvote 0
I disagree with that, although not strongly. Just that one issue, the two phone buttons, could have been addressed easily, almost an elementary display change for the Eris and other devices with phone hard keys.

Here is me saying that I *never* use the hardware button - I always call from an icon, or a contact item, and always answer from the lockscreen or on-screen display (except for the old days when the phone was so laggy that the screen never came on and I had to use the button.) It's a habit for me, but I'm glad that the control is there, and the first thing that I add to any replacement launcher (if it doesn't already have it) is the phone app as an icon in the dock.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones