Whats up with people being so against stock stuff?General

Last Updated:

1. Thedarksunlight

Thedarksunlight Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Threads are made all the time which have a oldly negative tone against the sense ui and stock apps like the messaging and web browser.

Personally my droid eris is completely stock and I refuse to change it considering they work excellent. The thing that boggles my mind would be the complaints from these users which change the sense ui and things of that sort.

Reading complaints about how the sense ui isnt stable and lags and etc seems very bogus only if your phone is a lemon. Sure its cool to mod your phone to your liking but my question is why is there so much hate against stock?

Advertisement
  2. alchemize

alchemize Well-Known Member

Personally, sense is what led me to choose the Eris over the Moto Droid. I (normally) hate pure touch screen phones, but sense seemed really cool. I'm going to be rooting my phone this evening, because I want some of the added functionality, but I'll be keeping sense. The only stock thing I really had a problem with was the stock messaging application, since I had 100% awake time before I got rid of that for handcent. Otherwise, modification for me isn't because I dislike the stock phone, it's because I want new toys.

3. Pitamakan

Pitamakan Well-Known Member

There's just no way a single, pre-packaged solution can be perfect for everyone.

4. wildtouch83

wildtouch83 Well-Known Member

because it is human nature to change things.

When we buy a car, we want it to look different than it did stock or go faster.

When we buy a house, we paint it or change flooring.

The point is that society in general doesn't accept anything "as is". We are attracted to something because we like it, but, we feel the need to tweak it to be just perfect for us.

5. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Well-Known Member

I agree that the tone of a lot of the posts about the stock applications is very negative. Really, I think people like to change things around on their phone and use different applications because they CAN. There are so many choices with the android platform. Two people can have the same phone and the phones will look and act entirely different based on all the individual choices the owners have made.

Nothing wrong with sharing ideas about applications they may do things differently or function better than the stock app. I do wish people would drop the negativity though. I just remind myself that things usually sound harsher in a written format than they do in person.

6. Thedarksunlight

Thedarksunlight Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ya that's another thing that boggles my mind. The sense UI was suppose to make the phone stand out and work better than the stand alone android os. We get 7 home screens versus 3 and the HTC widgets which are better than the basic ones. It looks luxury next to the droid and other android phones.

7. Pitamakan

Pitamakan Well-Known Member

Yeah, but there are other home replacements which many of us consider to be better than Sense. I use Helix, for example, and I think it's a significant improvement over Sense.

YMMV, of course, and that's fine ... but I think flexibility and customization are the main selling points behind Android smartphones. Obviously, non-stock customization options won't be best for everyone, but refusing to even explore them is ignoring one of the main virtues of the OS.

8. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

+1

LIke most worthwhile things, it's about choices.

I do agree with the OP on the point of Sense and the overall build of the Eris being quite efficient and usable as-is. Having said that, though, I do have a good time creating "scenes" and have installed an app or three which augments or replaces a some of what seemed lacking to me in the stock lineup.

9. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

From what I have read, Google is really working to make nearly all component and apps of their OS customizable. They send you a "vanilla" version and you put on what you want. Some people get frustrated that they don't use Footprints, Stocks, or Peep but it still takes up memory and creates some type of bloat. I don't care what another person likes...I want them to be happy with their phone and any negativity toward another for their preference is immature. Just remember that there are only a handful of those folks and they seem to be the loudest.

10. vertig0730

vertig0730 Well-Known Member

Stock applications fit a lot of peoples needs, but sometimes there is something better over the fence.

11. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Sense was perfectly stable for me, but there was no doubt from my use that the phone was laggy. With the same exact apps running using stock home, it is not laggy. I don't have a problem with Sense, I just want my phone to be more responsive, and normal home (which is actually stock, right?) works better for me.

I do not use Peep because it does not remember the timeline position, and I get hundreds of tweets per day. That is a feature that I want from a twitter client. I use XScope browser because it is faster than stock, supports tabs, and has some features that stock lacks (i.e., I can change the user agent to iPhone or desktop computer to get some sites to open the way that I prefer them.)

I don't hate these apps, but the alternatives offer me better features and functionality that make me more productive.

When I get 2.1, I intend to run with Sense for a while to see if it is better. If it works as well (or better) than normal home works for me on 1.5, I will definitely stay with that.

12. Trident

Trident VIP Member VIP Member

I should issue infractions for all of the inappropriate posts that I had to delete/edit, but I guess it's your lucky day.
    Please keep this thread on topic and clean or you wont be so lucky.. ;)

doogald and Frisco like this.
  13. Jlopcpa

Jlopcpa Well-Known Member

You have to look at the message board audience, most people here want to learn more and do more with their phones. So they know what the phone is cable of doing or have higher expectations of their phone.

These phones are put out with the average consumer in mind, that why the phone appeals to a broader audience, which means more unit sales. Odds are the average consumer doesnt even know you can change your home application.

Sense was one reason why I picked the ERIS over the Droid, back in November. I switched to home one time and within less than a day I was back to Sense.

The only stock App I changed is the Message from the stock to Handcent and that is only because they took the basic application and made it better.

14. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

This. The members of this site represent less than 1% of the total Eris oweners. A large majority of the other 99%+ Eris owners probably use mostly the stock apps.

Personally, I still use Sense and was using the stock Message app up until a few feeks ago.

15. maddog015

maddog015 Well-Known Member

+1
    Stock android is fine, but apps that I don't want to use I should be able to get rid of. Amazon MP3, Stocks, Footprints, etc are considered bloat as long as I can't remove it from my internal memory, taking up valuable internal space for other apps.

If only we could put our apps onto our memory cards, that would make things a lot nicer, I would think...but that's a whole other topic.

16. MOS95B

MOS95B Well-Known Member

In my opinion, based on my job as Tech Support/Repair, in the "geek" world, it is just cool to hate stock.

Apps, OSes, parts, etc. if it came with it, it must be of lower quality. Based on no facts what-so-ever in some cases, just because "it's stock"

You're just not cool if you're not replacing the stock ***** with an aftermarket

17. smacky

smacky Banned

I agree. This infatuation with icons, themes, custom screens this and custom boot screens that. It's so dumb. It's like seeing a car with tons of mods, so many mods, it no longer looks like the original car, it just looks dumb. Same thing with phones. You can customize it to an extent, but the key is subtlety, otherwise you're hurting your performance and you look like a tool to others.

18. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I just want my Eris to look like the iPhone....is that so wrong?

alk1 likes this.
  19. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

One last app.....

[​IMG]

20. ljbaumer

ljbaumer Well-Known Member

since I went from the leak v1 to the leak v3 I always use sense because it is suddenly super fast after upgrading. so I came up with a strategy and that is re-setting my phone every month or so. if you do a hard reset every once and a while it works totally fine.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

21. maflanc

maflanc New Member

Im not against these they just start running and kill my battery life. I can kill them with task killer over and over and literally within a minute or 2 they are back open. We shouldnt have to keep something on our phones if we dont want it. I dont intend on ever using Amazon MP3 Store and I dont see why it has to constantly run and kill my battery. UGH!

22. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

How do you know its killing your battery? Many apps just sit idle in the memory not doing anything. Using more memory doesn't affect battery life directly. And unless your using it, it is using no CPU time or network usage.

Although I do wish we could get rid of it without root. Its just taking up space, since the app doesn't even work for me.

23. SyDTRaKKeD

SyDTRaKKeD Well-Known Member

It isn't killing ur battery... if too much memory is being used and that particular app is not in use then it will be killed automatically. There is a thread on task killers and why they arent really necessary and how many times using them actually drains your battery more because by continuously killing certain things the phone trys to reopen them and that's actually what drains the battery... the constant reopening of apps... the phone is built to kill apps as it sees fit all by itself...

24. alk1

alk1 Well-Known Member

i concur with what otd stated, unfortunately the IPhone is the standard we are all trying to match............ Until who knows what are future phones(Toys) will be. Whether we want to admit that or not !

25. Peter123

Peter123 Well-Known Member

Exactly!

Also, I have tried Home Switcher the see the world without Sense and I did not like it.
    Peter