What's up with the battery getting hammered after a reboot/ power cycle?

Last Updated:

1. E Double

E Double Member This Topic's Starter

So I was out on my motorcycle and had about 60% battery left on my Vibrant. Figuring I wasn't going to need the phone for a few hours I powered the phone off, calling myself saving battery. When I turned the phone back on I was totally surprised that the battery was down to 38% immediately following powering up. This happens every time I power the phone down-I lose about 20% consistently. It also happens when google maps shits itself and either freezes the phone (necessitating a battery pull reset) or causes a spontaneous reboot. Is this normal? I've had my phone for a bit over two weeks (so out of my remorse period) and my besides this my battery works and lasts rather well, considering how much this phone has going on. Cheers for any help with this.

D

Advertisement
  2. wildblue

wildblue Well-Known Member

My phone has been on for 5 hours, and it's at 81%. Just powered off/on, and it's at 81%.

I leave GPS on all the time. Not actually using it, but in the power manager widget it's always on. Unless you are actually using GPS having it on does not appear to use much if any battery.

I'm also on wifi at home, but I did take a 1 hour drive this morning.

I also have auto-updates turned off. I manually turn that on when I want updates.

I have no explanation for your observation that a power cycle uses 20%.

3. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Well-Known Member

What worries me is you are using a phone while on your motorcycle. Hopefully you turned it off while you were stopped, and put the phone away until you got off your bike.

Okay, as far as the issue you are talking about. My battery does wacko jacko stuff too. One second it will be at 75 percent, 10 mins later it jumps down to 30 and stays locked on 30 for the longest time.

Something is up, sure they will eventually release a fix for that too.

4. presence06

presence06 Well-Known Member

I've noticed that after a few days the battery will decrease fast after a full charge. It will go from 100% to 97% just after unplugging it.

So what I've been doing now is if this happens, I reboot the phone. I don't lose any % of battery and after a restart the battery performs like normal. I'm at 23hrs and at 72% with minimal usage, a few text, and Tweetdeck (manual update) and Gmail Sync.

5. E Double

Mate, you totally misunderstood me. I turned the phone off precisely because I was on my bike. There's a reason why I've been riding for over 20 years at an average of 15K miles a year; I leave the stupidity for other people, as many seem to rather enjoy that lifestyle. Until it kills them, of course. Cheers for the concern though.

Getting back to this phone this lagginess is beginning to piss me off. I'm especially noticing it when typing. This phone has too damn much HP under the Hood to be this bog assed slow.

6. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Well-Known Member

I made a thread long time ago about the lag in typing. oddly enough I noticed the lag only when posting replys on androidforums.com.
    So wondered if it was the phone, or somehow the site was causing this. So i got another android phone, and guess what, when using androidforums, that phones typing lags too. I dunno why androidforums causes this, but other sites dont. so its not the samsung. Unless you notice it on other sites also.

Also, when i use the samsung to send mass text messages to 10 people, the typing lags.

strange.

7. E Double

I've experienced typing lag every place where I type. On every forum at some point or another, and on apps like google talk and fring. The other problem I have is after I've been typing a while (In landscape mode only) the text box stops updating and any new words/corrections don't apperar. It will still register that I'm typing but won't let me see the type being added. I have to quit the app and re open it. On a web page all I can do is switch to portrait mode, or close the browser, which sucks when I'm replying to a thread or the like. I have a higher than average tolerance for bullshit from my phone (As I'm coming from an unlocked blackberry bold with that POS BB OS 5.0 on it, a total pig that) But the virtual keyboard is aggravating enough (my first one) without losing my ability to see how many damn typos I have before posting something and looking like an illiterate ass.

8. robo21

robo21 Well-Known Member

I tried powering down for a couple of hours @ 83% battery level. Powered back up @ 83%. No typing lag or any other lag. But I haven't tried typing with the Vibrant on this forum either.

I'm using the Android keyboard.

9. wildblue

wildblue Well-Known Member

Just did a test of typing here from phone and no apparent typing lag at all (Android keyboard).

I'm using wifi, wonder if lag some are seeing may be related to the type of connection. I'd be surprised if 3G lags but 2G might. Also, if wifi, might be related to latency, particulary since the web site is echoing the characters, rather than local echo when you're typing a memo, for example. My average ping time to androidforums.com is 53ms.