Whats ur fav app for reading?

Last Updated:

1. xintensex

xintensex Well-Known Member

I am using Aldiko which is pretty good, just wondering what others are using?

2. Grey1001

Grey1001 Well-Known Member

Aldiko also, only one I've tried.
  3. bobstro

bobstro Well-Known Member

The stock reader for B&N firmware, Mantano Reader on CM.
  4. tube517

tube517 Well-Known Member Contributor

Everything mentioned above

Check out Overdrive. It's the app public libraries utilize when you check out their digital books. But I've found it has the most options to customize any book you download, and after trying most of the other sites, use it almost exclusively because it's so easy and reliable.
  6. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled VIP Member

I second Mantano. That's good stuff right there!
  7. efeigenbaum

efeigenbaum Well-Known Member

I've tried them all and I love FBReaderJ the best. I don't want to have to import my books into a library; I open them by folder and FBReaderJ makes that easier than any other ereader. It is extremely easy to customize everything from background to font size and it's free.
  8. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

I really like the Kindle app. I just wish it showed page numbers.
  9. hsmamato2

hsmamato2 Member

10. johngoodin

johngoodin Active Member

And if you really want to get your reader looking and acting like a real paper book look in the settings. Turn on the paper curling option on how you wish to translate from page to page then you swipe pages. True it really doesn't add any real benefit to the program but the eye candy it adds is sweet indeed.
  11. gale65

gale65 Well-Known Member

I like FB reader too. I tried Aldiko and didn't like it but I can't remember why now. I do wish FB reader had a bookmark feature that worked by touching the corner of the page but other than that I really like it.
  12. MomOfBoys

MomOfBoys New Member

I have tried all of those reader, but my favorite by far is Moon Reader. I bought the $5 version because it has text to speech which I love. It looks fabulous. The book covers are large and crisp. You can create shelves. It is completely customizable. Not only do you get to choose things like background color, but you get to decide what each touch on the screen does. I set mine so swiping down the left side adjusts the brightness and swiping the right adjusts font size.
  13. Knocks

Knocks Active Member

Stock reader and Kindle app for me.
  14. solidsnake13

solidsnake13 Well-Known Member

I am just using the nook reader, even on CM7.
  15. Lemurion

Lemurion Well-Known Member

I've used several, but one thing I do like about CM7 is that the Nook for Android app that I got from Google actually seems to work better than than the stock app it shipped with. :)
    JaniceK likes this.
  16. simpler

simpler Member

So far I've tried three: Aldiko, FBReader, and UB Reader. All good, all flip smoothly, all let you customize text size and style.

A few differences to bear in mind:

Aldiko lets you customize bookmarks. OTOH it has trouble with a few files; one file I downloaded from Project Gutenberg would not display on Aldiko past the TOC; the other apps had no trouble with it.

UB Reader won't let you customize your bookmarks but it will let you customize your shelves. It also uses the least memory of the three.
  17. johngoodin

johngoodin Active Member

Cool Reader is my hands on favorite for reading. A specially since Text to Speech is free. Try it in a moderately large font that is easy on the eyes in landscape mode and turn on Text to Speech mode as well and crank up the volume. What ever program you use for sound output I strongly suggest you look into a graphic equalizer type program to customize your listening experience. Personally I use DMP Manager Pro. The free version came on a version of Cyanogenmod 7 I used years ago and I've loved it ever since. Having total control over the tonal qualities of your headphones or speakers can make your device scream loud and clear.

The only problem is it can't read PDF's unless I'm missing something.

I recently installed UB Reader as a test. I love the way it found all the PDF's on my device and like how they look in the main screen and how fast they load. My only bummer about it is the almost total lack of user customizable features. Cool Reader has tons and tons of user customizable features in a roll your own reader. Don't like how a certain feature looks or feels? Take heart there's a 90% chance you can change that.