What's using so much data??Support

1. vice86

vice86 Well-Known Member

I don't get it...i barely stream any audio and some how I'm at 4.4GB of use with 3 days left in my cycle.

Are there certain apps that REALLY suck up the data? I used Waze once in a while and maybe Google Nav but not everyday.

3/26: 1.9GB
    2/29: 2.8GB
    4/3: 3.4GB
    4/9: 4.4GB

There's no way I'm using any apps to build up data that quickly. I used to stream almost EVERYDAY with my iPhone and I'd hit 4-5GB...like i said, i rarely stream anything lately.

I mess with google latitude a lot...is that a bandwidth drainer?

Advertisement
  2. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna Well-Known Member

Only if you're constantly streaming maps. Why not install a data tracking software to see where exactly your bandwidth is going? I use 3G Watchdog.

If you have the latest Android OS (as of writing anyway), Ice Cream Sandwich has data tracking built-in.
  3. vice86

vice86 Well-Known Member

I now installed 3g Watchdog so I'll keep everything the way it is now just to see what's eating so much data.

Not sure what "OS services + others" is though.

I made 2 posts on another forum I'm on and I see just doing that used about 2.6mb The site has a lot of sponsor ads and stuff...i'm guessing an ad blocker would help save data?
  4. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna Well-Known Member

You don't even need to install an ad blocker. Simply disabling Flash helps a lot.
  5. vice86

vice86 Well-Known Member

Well after running 3GWatchDog for a day...looks like the biggest data sucker is watching flash based videos on a browser. A 4 minute video sucked up 25mb.

Before I was on iPhone so i was limited to what vids I can watch online...now on Android its so easy to just watch videos on any site. At work I don't like streaming audio/video on my phone using the company's wifi so i use my data connection...so I think I found my problem. Don't watch so many videos on data!
  6. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja VIP Member

what type of device do you have?

if it is an ICS device you can set a data limit, and monitor your data usage
  7. vice86

vice86 Well-Known Member

G-Note...no ICS yet as rumored "by end of Q1"...and I'm not brave enough to root and use leaked rom.
  8. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja VIP Member

understandable vice86, what im going to do is move this to the galaxy note thread, where they can help you better, they may know of some tricks to see things some of us cant
  9. vice86

vice86 Well-Known Member

Thanks Voided. Now I'm wondering...why if I opened Amazon Cloud Player does TWO items show up in the Watchdog list with different data amounts? What does Streaming Audio have to do with Amazon MP3?

[​IMG]