What's with Android phones running some Operating Systems...

Last Updated:

1. wamason

wamason Member This Topic's Starter

I just purchased my first Android phone. I'll admit that I'm new at it but not new to computers since I have an extensive IBM mainframe background which is about as helpful as snow in the summer!

I owned an HTC Touch Diamond (actually several after returning them), and it ran on the Windows Mobile 6 platform as most of you may already know. It pretty much did what I wanted it to, but at a price. Other than having to charge it after about 45 minutes of talk time (if I was lucky), it made a great cigarette lighter!

OK enough of the funny stuff...:D

I just got an Android phone like I said...a Sanyo Zio (Android 2.1 (Eclair) OS). I really like it a lot so far with a few BIG exceptions:

-1. It does not recognize my Plantronics (or any other Bluetooth earpiece although after placing a call I can use it. I was told that this option will be available with the Android 2.2 Froyo update due out in sometime in February (as told to me by a senior Sanyo tekkie).
    I wonder what would have ben the big deal making this work with any Android OS since it worked flawlessly on my non-Android V950 Renegade?

-2. Why with the external SD capacity of 32GB and an internal 256MB storage capacity with 512MB RAM (as I was told), does most everything downloaded from the Android market get placed in the internal memory rendering the phone extremely limited to put only maybe 30 or 40 apps on? What's worse, other that being able to backup your apps (I use ASTRO (excellent so far BTW)), you can not dictate where your apps are put, or reloaded from your back to.

-3. Are large photo albums and video files put on the external SD card?

Well...I'm just disappointed in the phones capability so far to store large amounts of data. It just doesn't make sense to me and the Sanyo tekkies are limited in their knowledge on the situation as well from my conversations with them. I'm currently witing for a call from a higher level technical person. They are located in the Phillipeans too, which is not surprising like Linksys, HP and just about every big companies service group on the planet to save a buck. You the buyer, PAY AGAIN! :rolleyes:

These problems are SUPPOSEDLY going to be remedied in the Android 2.2 Froyo update.
    I almost bought an HTC Evo, don't know if it would do everything I wanted, but I think my afformentioned rantings would not exist. it wasn't the extra $100.00, but the damn phone is so big, almost like carrying around a Kindle book, not to mention the extra $10.00 a month for limited availabe 4G speed.

Anyone out there know something I don't? Please let me know.

Advertisement
  2. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Welcome to Android Forums. Feel free to join the conversations! If you need help getting around here, feel free to PM me. Take care! :D

I don't know. Sounds like the Evo would've been a better choice for you. I have the Droid X and have had no troubles pairing. Good luck!

wamason likes this.
  3. Leftyguy

Leftyguy Well-Known Member

Hi & Welcome to the Android Forums - Cheers....:)

wamason likes this.
  4. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Welcome to the Android Forums!

wamason likes this.