What's with FM Radio and Android?

Last Updated:

1. su30mki117

su30mki117 New Member This Topic's Starter

I just noticed that most of the Android phones don't come equipped with an FM radio tuner whereas even the most basic phones today have them. Is there a specific reason behind this or do the companies simply believe that FM radio has already become obsolete:rolleyes:?

Advertisement
  2. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

Not sure which phones have it, but supposedly FM radio will be turned on (for phones that support it) with Froyo's release (2.2) (May/June)...

3. DarlingScrewtape

DarlingScrewtape Member

What are this thing which you are calling a radio?

4. photographx

photographx Well-Known Member

The incredible as an FM radio, but with all the music options (Pandora for one), I would only use it if there was a natural disaster and I needed emergency information.

5. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Probably with things like Internet radio and 3G service becoming more common, and cell phones now able to take large memory cards, its becoming a less desirable feature. To be honest, I never listen to the radio anymore. Mainly because all they play is crap on most stations, but that's a topic for another thread. Pandora is very good at picking the kind of music I like, and of course there is always my personal music on the memory card.

6. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

The Desire has FM radio.

But like others, I don't listen to radio anymore. Only use I can see is, as the other poster said, in times of natural disaster or severe service outage.